Levels | Teen Ink

Levels

By SullyGustin BRONZE, Batavia, Illinois
SullyGustin BRONZE, Batavia, Illinois

Levels

ACT I
Scene 1
Open on a lobby where people rush about, waiting, and doing daily work. A young woman walks up to the receptionist.

Kate
Yes I'd like to speak with Mr. Gierigheid please?
Receptionist
Do you have an appointment?
KATE
No I'm sorry, I tried to call but never got through.
RECEPTIONIST
Well I'm sorry, Mr. Gierigheid is a very busy man, it may take a while. His earliest available slot would be at 3:45. You're welcome to wait here and fill out a guest form.
KATE
Well thank you very much.
Goes to chairs and sits. She begins to fill out the documents she received. JOHN, a doctor dressed in a tie and doctor's coat, enters left.
Security Guard
How about the big shot on deck!
Kate jerks up and pays attention.

John
Oh no please stop, just doing my job.
SECURITY GUARD
No I'm telling  you, ya did wonders on her face! I can't wait to see her next film now that that nose is outta the picture.
JOHN
Hey! Maybe I can help you out sometime.
Both laugh heartily.
JOHN
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a very important meeting I've got to be off to.
John goes to the elevator and calls it to the lobby. Kate seems distraught and begins to get up. As the elevator comes down, people get out and John walks in. Kate catches it at the last second and steps in with him.
JOHN
What floor?
KATE
And of them.
JOHN
(Confused)
Well, alright then.
As they ride up Kate makes many attempts to spark a conversation with him but is too nervous. Eventually gathering enough courage...
KATE
Approximately 91% of woman are unhappy with their bodies and resort to dieting to achieve their ideal body shape.
JOHN
Sorry?
KATE
And only 5% have the body image presented in American media. The models you fabricate.

JOHN
I beg your pardon, I...
KATE
Women that are unhappy with their bodies and are unaware of the risks of nutrition information can fall into the clutches of eating disorders. I doubt you even know what this is- It results in fasting, constant dieting... binging and purging.
JOHN
Excuse me, who are you?
Reaches his floor. It's empty except for the two of them.
JOHN
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a very important meeting to attend.
KATE
Yes, you're right! I don't know you.  But I know what you've done.
JOHN

(sighs)
...And what, exactly, have I done?

Presses "open door" button.
KATE
Just to listen to me!
JOHN
I don't argue with children.
She pulls a gun out of her handbag. He turns around in shock.
KATE
Listen to me!!

He looks around helplessly for someone but the floor is empty.
JOHN
Alright, we can be reasonable about this...
Kate
I only need your time.
JOHN
Obviously, you have my full attention.
KATE
Just... Just...

I don't want to hurt anybody! I just want someone to listen to me, for once. Just once.
Looking around.

Get back in the elevator.
JOHN
(Appeasing her)
Yeah, of course.
John looks around once more for help. Finding none, he reluctantly turns and walks inside. Once inside, they sit for a while in an uncomfortable and fearful silence.
JOHN
I have a wife. And four children. And a dog. Don't do anything you'll regret.
KATE
No no no, I was never going to hurt anyone... again. I swore that. I'm surprisingly a very reasonable person.
JOHN
You just checked in with a gun. What were you planning to do here anyways? (Quickly) If you don't mind my asking...
KATE
I came here to speak with you.
JOHN
With a gun?
KATE
No! I mean, yes... Only if you would listen. I've come here once a month for three years. Just to talk to someone, and have someone listen and be interested in what I have to say... I deserve an apology.
JOHN
For what?

KATE
For the murder of...
Elevator begins to move down.
KATE
What did you do?
JOHN
Nothing! Someone must have called the elevator from a lower floor.
Kate begins to panic and spins helplessly. She notices the emergency stop button and presses it. A loud ringing sound plays and the lights turn red.
Intercom
This is the Cleveland Police Department. We've received an emergency halt signal from this elevator. Is there an emergency?

KATE
Ahh... yes. I heard a snap from above and I hit the emergency stop.
InterCOM
I understand. Everything will be alright. We have a squad and the Fire Department on their way to assist you. Can I have your name please?
KATE
Kate... Smith.
INTERCOM
What floors are you in-between?
KATE
I'm not sure.
INTERCOM
How many people are trapped with you?
KATE
One other.
INTERCOM
Their name?
She gives him a look.
John
Uh...John...Gierigheid.  I'm a surgeon at this clinic.
INTERCOM
Thank you John. Help is on the way. Are there any injuries?
John looks to Kate, who motions to answer.
JOHN
No, were both just sound of as a button.
INTERCOM
Wonderful. It may take a while. Please do not panic.  Our team needs to investigate the sound reported first, then we'll have you safely returned to the ground. We'll have an emergency team waiting to make sure you are okay.
JOHN
(With a glimmer of hope.)
Oh, thank you officer. You really have saved my life here.
Turning and smiling at Kate.
JOHN
Well, I suppose you didn't think of that.

KATE
(Confidently)
I have nothing more to lose.
JOHN
So, what's your real name?
KATE
My name is Kate. My last isn't important.

JOHN

D--- you people.
He pulls out his cell phone and begins moving all around the elevator for reception.
JOHN
Hello? Hello? Mr. Korrupsie? Yes, this is John. No, no I'm fine, thank you. Is our client here? Oh good. I've been unfortunately trapped in an elevator...
Kate produces a small wooden box.  She sets the gun on the floor.
JOHN
No, please, if she arrives, let her know of my...unfortunate circumstances and if you could be so kind as to ask her to wait until the authorities arrive to free us...yes, sir, I know that she is on a schedule...yes, I understand that she her time is important...no, I wasn't aware she was shooting a film in New Zealand tomorrow...
Glares at Kate.
JOHN
I know the paparazzi will be atrocious so...
Kate begins to hold the box once more.  She opens the box and produces a small picture of a young girl.  She looks at it for a few seconds and lowers her head.
KATE
Do you know why I carry this picture? It's because I can't hold my little girl. I can't hear her laugh or see her grow. Because I can't tell her in person how beautiful she is without six feet of earth between us. Put there by people like you.
JOHN
(Taken aback, he closes his phone.)

Maam, I don't even know you.
KATE
No, of course you don't know me.  You don't know any of the models you've worked on.  You don't know the effect it has on the girls who idolize those models...those models and actresses...that you've fabricated...who end up on the cover of magazines or the leads in movies--
John
Woah...hold on...

Kate picks up the gun, not really stopping her speech to listen to John.
Kate
You try to convey the unnatural beauty that sick minds lust for. It's people like you that made her cry at night. Made her scar her arms that used to paint the sunset. Made her unable to eat or sleep or smile of even tell me what was troubling her pretty little mind. God, I used to dream she'd look like me one day.
JOHN
So, as I can understand, this would have something to do with the fact you've illegally entered a clinic, held a trained surgeon at gunpoint, then trapped him within an elevator. All for someone to vent to? Was risking life in prison necessary to tell me your sob story?
KATE
I wanted to find some compassion in someone! I wanted someone to apologize for the crippling images my daughter was exposed to. And the loss of marriage that came from her death. I don't care about the luxuries and the money I lost... See I used to live like you. I had the world at my fingers- I was king in a land of fools like you. My kingdom for a second longer with her. My kingdom to avenge her.
JOHN
Maam, this is all very heartwarming and I'm sure a lovely soap opera will come out of it, but I didn't kill your daughter, and nothing- no guns or hysterics- will bring her back.
KATE
Long live the ignorant. For an a-- will live to be nothing but an a--.
JOHN
(Offended)
I beg your pardon! I know YOU have no respect for me, but I am a highly renowned doctor.
KATE
You're nothing but a poet.
JOHN
A poet?
Kate
You weave such lovely "words" into mold of silicone like paper and ink. But even birds woven with forked tongues will sing only of the end, never of the sea and the sky.
JOHN
Well if that even made a lick of sense I may have an actual intelligent point to present, but all I see is a hurt little girl throwing a tantrum and speaking gibberish.
KATE
Why do you live to see people in pain?
JOHN
I help people.

KATE
Do you find some sick satisfaction in this?
JOHN
I'm more then some cosmetic pig.
KATE
Have you ever even done a kind thing for anyone in this world?
JOHN
This world has seen more kindness from me then some psychopath could ever give.
KATE
(Sarcastically)
Kindness?  What, did you tip the door man today?
JOHN
I'll have you know I started my practice away from the states. Uganda, that's in Africa. They have problems there that go deeper than the shallow ideals of how young girls look. Your child may have been sad, but I knew children that walked miles to the town in fear they would wake up the next day as an enlisted solider. These kids faced hell before they knew how to shave. And do you know what they did to those that refused? After they made them the instruments of their parents demise, they wouldn't hesitate to mutilate the lips. The mouth and ears. The eyelids and hands. The feet and reproductive organs. Nothing was sacred to these men. I used to carry a gun to work everyday. By the way, you were holding it wrong. God the horrors I saw... They are the ones you should be mad at, not me.
KATE
This doesn't prove you have nobility because you've seen the--
JOHN
I ran away from med school to aid these children. From cleft lips to facial reconstruction. I was there for two years helping these children. I was training native people to assist me and ultimately take over once my time was done. And I remember this one girl... her  name was Verlaat.

Pulls out a small picture of his wallet of hers. Gently takes Kate's picture from her and holds them side by side.
JOHN
You know, it's funny. They kinda look alike. Only one chose not tpo eat. The other had nothing to eat at all.
KATE
What happened to her?
JOHN

Nothing. Never mind, it isn't important.
He is about to put his picture in his wallet, but holds it up to look at it one more time.
KATE
Is...is all that true?
JOHN
Would you believe anything I told you anyway?
A beat.  He puts away the picture.
KATE
What happened to her?
JOHN
I don't want to talk about it.

KATE
Well, John, come on I--

Another beat.  She looks at the picture of her daughter.
KATE
What...what am I even doing here?  I don't know anything about you...
She presses the emergency button and the elevator jerks into motion.
She looks at the gun.
KATE
Maybe I do deserve to go to prison.  This was such a mistake!
She gives him the gun and lowers her head.
KATE
What happened to her?  The African girl?
A beat.
KATE
I told you my story.
John stops the elevator.
JOHN
I never asked you to!  Just like I didn't ask to be trapped in an elevator! I didn't ask to be sitting here with you, I never intended...
He pauses.
KATE
...to what?

JOHN
I left her. I could have finished, but I left her. Her wounds were too severe to make it an easy operation. We had to give her time to recover between each surgery. It was the second month when this very clinic contacted me. They heard of my impressive work and offered me an opening they needed filled right away. It was too much money for any man to refuse.

(not believing it himself)
I'm sure you understand.
Kate, disgusted, sets the elevator back into motion.
JOHN
It's funny.
KATE
How can this be funny?
JOHN
It's something you said earlier. Thinking back: the gun, the elevator, our sob stories. This is just another story. This is the only moment I don't regret and it's the one no one will remember.

The elevator dings to signal a new floor.  John slips the gun into his pocket.
The doors open and they are met by a response team. There's commotion and running around by many people.
Officer
Do you mind if we ask you a few questions about the incident?
JOHN
Yes! I may have something to say about this hostage incident...

OFFICER
A hostage?
A look at Kate.  She lowers her head.
JOHN
Oh no no no! It was like being a hostage. You know how those things are.
OFFICER
Of course, sir.
Kate looks at John.
KATE
May I leave?
OFFICER
Your vitals check out.  Could you leave your info in case we have any questions?
Kate leaves without another word. The people busy around and do the routine. John walks forward- lights fade to a spotlight on him. He grabs the gun and opens the clip to find that its empty.

JOHN
(Chuckles to himself)
Empty...

He takes out the picture in his wallet and holds it up next to Kate's picture.
I'm sorry.