Stuck in Death | Teen Ink

Stuck in Death

By Ak2326 SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ak2326 SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"Life is not measured by the number of breathes you take, but by the moments that take our breathe away."

Setting: Serena stresses over her graduation speech and goes to find Don and Kale for advise.

Serena: (Knocking on Don’s House door.) Don! Is Kale with you? Hello?  You there? Ugh! (Serena picks the lock with her hair pin and barges in.)
Don: (He’s breathing rapidly.) Serena! Something… it’s Kale! Come quick!
Serena: (She runs to the kitchen.) Don what’s wrong?
Don: (His face is red with fear.) He… I just left for a te- ten minutes to grab some food. And when I go- got back he was like that. I- I’m sorry!
Serena: Don, you're scarring me! Where’s Kale?
Don: (Points towards the bathroom.)
Serena: (She slowly opens the door.) (Gasp) Oh my god.
Kale lies face down on the ground, dead with blood all over the floor.
Serena: (She falls to the floor, sobbing.) Wh- What happened! Kale, what’s been done to you!? (She rolls him over and touches his face.)
Don: (He speaks, still in shock.) Serena, I think we should call 911.
Serena: I don’t get it, Don! Do you think someone attacked him, or did he…? No! He wouldn’t! He’s talked about it, but there’s no way he would actually try to…
Don: Serena, I think we should call 911.
Serena: (She wipes away her tears.) Okay, we’ll talk about this later. Um, is there anyone else we should inform. Did he have any family left?
Don: No, not anyone who cares anyway. After his parents died, he went to live with his uncle and aunt, but that kinda didn’t work out they almost killed him. So, I had to beg my parents to let him live here. I’m all he's got. (He looked down.)
Serena: Ya. (She sighed, then called 911.)
Several Police Cars showed up, and one approached Serena and Don.
Officer Jake: Hello, I’m Officer Jake. I’ll be the officer in charge of this case.
Serena: Nice to meet you. I’m Serena one of Kale’s best friends. Kale’s the boy
3 who… And this is Don, Kale has been living with Don for about a year now.
Officer Jake: Nice to meet you too. Seeing as you two were so close to him, I’m gonna make you my two advisers here. Is there suspects of who might of killed him, any enemies?
Don: Officer, may I talk to you privately? (They walk to the lawn.) There’s a possibility that Kale wasn’t murdered.
Officer Jake: But, didn’t you call for a murder investigation.
Don: Serena called for murder investigation. She’s dead convinced that he was murdered.
Officer Jake: So what do you think caused Kale’s death.
Don: He talked about suicide before. Like more than a few times, and stress has been high lately with graduation so close.
Officer Jake: And Serena isn’t accepting that possibility.
Don: Good, you see what I’m getting at here. I want you to do some tests or bring someone in to narrow it down whether it was suicide or a murder.
Officer Jake: And we’re gonna keep this from Serena?
Don: Well if she asks, just say you're trying to determine to murder weapon. That wouldn’t be a lie seeing as you are trying to find out what kinda of weapon it was.
Officer Jake: I'm an investigator, I'm used to lying. Only if it has to come to that. Don't worry I'll find out what really happened.
Don: Thank you, sir. (They both walk back to the house where Serena is.)
Officer Jake: So were gonna have to take some tests, maybe bring someone in to examine the body. So we can determine the… murder weapon.
Serena: Well, thank you for informing me sir. Don, I actually have to go to Jen’s. She’s helping with my speech. Being Valedictorian is harder than it looks.
Don: That’s right! You wanted us to help you with your graduation speech today.
Serena: Don’t worry about it. Jen has always got my back, plus she was Valedictorian too. See ya. (She walks away trying to warm herself up.)
Don: You’ve been through many cases, Officer. What’s your opinion on Kale’s death?
Officer Jake: Well, you are right. I’ve been through many case similar to this, but I’m stumped. But, I’m sure I’ll be able to bust this case wide open once I’ve got all the information and clues.
Don: I hope you’re right. You know, it’s not that I think he was murdered. It’s just I don’t think we should exclude the possibility of suicide. And don’t take this the wrong way, but I hope it was suicide. I don’t think I can take a murder case, the pressure. (He shivers.)
Officer Jake: My officers and I need to go now. We’ll be back around 1:30 p.m. tomorrow. I’ll call if I find anything. (The officers get in their cars and drive away.)
Scene Two

Setting: don  is in his room, pacing. He tries to cope with his friend’s death. He worries about his friend Serena as well.
Don: Serena, I need to stop-  I mean help Serena. She’s gonna get obsessed with finding the murderer, it’ll take over her life. She shouldn't have gotten involved. Such a shame, I like Serena, I don’t want to have to see anything happen to her that will ruin her. I need to get her to consider that possibility of suicide. Then, nothing will have to happen to here. Things will be fine after that.
I can sleep peacefully. Serena can get over it, right? Maybe I should have waited, maybe after graduation? (Don falls backwards.) Kale’s dead. I’m so conflicted, but you can’t change what’s been done. It’s hard to move on with life after a death. I don’t know what to do now. My life’s gonna fall apart. All because of Serena. She’s gonna try to find a murderer, and she might actually find one. But the chance of suicide is much higher! If I can convince her of the option of suicide, I’ll be fine.
Flashback: Serena, Kale, and Don are siting at a table together at Lunch.
Kale: I would like to purpose a toast, because I just want to say I am still so proud of our best friend, Serena. The Valedictorian of 2014! (Kale raises his glass.) To Serena!
Don: (Raises his glass.) To Serena! This year has been great. I don’t know how this year could have been better!
Kale: You’re talking like this is the last time we’re gonna be together. We’re gonna be friends forever!
Don: Kale, nothing’s definite. You never know what’s gonna happen.
Kale: Ya, like me screwing up something again. You never know what’s in store.
Serena: Kale, please don’t tell me you’re going suicidal again. I don’t know if I can watch you do that kinda stuff to yourself without having to get involved.
Kale: You wouldn’t have to watch. (He looks down and picks at his food.)
Don: Graduation’s almost here. Let us, the Class of 2014, make the only 2014 the best year of our lives. (Raises his glass.) To 2014!
Serena: (She raises her glass close to Don’s) Come on Kale.
Kale: (He raises his glass to near the others) To 2014.
They clink their glasses together. Then they jug the juice from the glass.
Back to reality: Don laying on the floor.
Don: I was right, we weren’t gonna be friends forever. At least we made the only 2014 the best year of our lives. (Grabs the glass on his desk and raises it.) To 2014. (Jugs the juice from the glass.)
Thanks Kale. You’re not here. Well, the choice was made. So you’re not here. That’s good, because you’ll always be in my heart, but you’ll be in my mind more.

Scene Three

Setting: The Class of 2014 Graduation, where Serena is giving her speech.
Serena: It’s 2014. All of us have always dreamt of growing up, being independent. That’s when we forget that growing up comes with a cost, saying goodbye. Goodbyes are the hardest part in life, because it means letting go. But that doesn’t mean you’re gone from our hearts, we will always be connect, always together. That goes for our lost love ones too, Kale. So remember this! The Class of 2014 will always have place in our hearts, where or when ever we are!
The crowd cheers!

Scene Four

Setting: Don is now a police officer and is about to arrest someone.
7 Years Later.
Don: Who do we have here? Assaulting a man in his room is not good missy.
Serena: (She turns around) Hi Don. This is awkward.
Don: Serena get in the police car we’re gonna talk. (He escorts her to the cop car.)
Serena: Look I thought-
Don: I don’t care what you thought Serena! This isn’t about your obsession with Don’s murder, this is about you throwing your life away! All because you can’t let go. You have to accept he’s dead and even if he had a murder and you caught him, what will that accomplish?
Serena: It will bring justice. Jena’s my mentor, a lawyer, and my best friend! I know enough about justice! And I’ll make sure the murder is caught. I don’t care if the case was concluded as a suicide. I know he wouldn’t do that!
Don: There’s someone you need to see. (He drives to the police station and walks in with Serena.)
Officer Jake: Hello Serena, nice to see you again. But I hoped to see you less crazy than you look at the moment.
Serena: Nice to see you too Officer. I’m a little confused on why you brought me here, Don.
Officer Jake: Come with me Serena, there’s something I need to show you. (He takes out a file from a cabinet.) This is the file of Kale, the knife that killed was his with his figure prints all over it. He also wrote a letter claiming his death. Here.(Hands her the file.)
Serena: (She begins to tear up.) But, he said he wouldn’t! How dare he do this to me! (She throws the file on the floor.)
Don: You did this you, Serena. You chose this, and it’s painful to watch because. Because I love you.
Serena: Don, I didn’t- I couldn’t have thought that was possible. I thought you hated me for dragging you down. But the truth is, I love you too. (They hug.)
Don: Promise me you’ll let this go, and live on with your with your life.
Serena: As long as your in it.
Don: Don’t worry I’m not going anywhere.

Scene Five

Setting: Serena is with Jena at their apartment.
Jena: He said that?
Serena: Ya. He’s got me through my stump. And you know better than anyone what I’ve been going through. I think I put it behind me.
Jena: That’s great. Do you think he knew the truth all along?
Serena: Ya, it’s funny how I was bent so much on it being a murder. This is something we can just look back and laugh at.
Jena: It will be. It’s kinda weird how usually you can detect the truth and you’re always right. But you were wrong on this.
Serena: Ya, oh well.
Scene Six

Setting: Don is in his room talking to himself
Don:  I never thought I’d see the day where Serena would be persuaded. I can finally sleep at night peacefully. Serena with no more suspicion. And Kale. Kale, Kale, Kale, he’s gone. I’m gonna miss him. But I’ll get over it. He was a good friend. No, he was more like a brother. A brother who was unhappy with himself, who wanted death. But, he was always was an easy going guy, considering what he went through. The loss of his parents, the betrayal of his uncle and aunt. No wonder he talked about wanting death. He was stuck in it, Stuck in Death. He couldn’t get out. He might not have wanted to get out.
He had a bad life, but it was filled with good memories. We had some good times, maybe it could have lasted longer. No it couldn’t have. He chose this! And now he’s gone! (He falls to his knees with a lifeless look on his face.) You can’t change what’s already been done. It’s set in stone.
Why am I pondering myself over this! My life is going great, I have Serena. I have a paying job. I have a nice house. I have everything I need. (He opens a drawer.) But I have guilt. That night I took that knife and I asked him if this is what he wanted as a graduation gift. And he begged for it. He held that knife at his stomach and I pushed it into him. (He takes out a knife stained with blood.) I killed Kale, and I’m okay with that. Serena will never know.

I just thought that if I wrote something that involved loss I would know how it felt.