She Isn't Real | Teen Ink

She Isn't Real

By TabbethaKate BRONZE, Monte Vista, Colorado
TabbethaKate BRONZE, Monte Vista, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt

(In an apartment, nothing can be seen but an average couch and coffee table in the spotlight, the rest of the apartment is very dark. On the couch is Daniel and Emily. Daniel is very average looking, with glasses. Emily is clearly gorgeous, petite and short, with long hair. They are cuddled together. Emily is obviously pregnant and both have smiles on their faces. In the background soft classical music is playing.)
Daniel: I don't see how listening to this is supposed to make the baby smarter.
Emily: I don't know, but it calms her down too and I really need that right now. She's been kicking all morning. (Laughs) She's just like daddy, constantly moving. (She touches Daniels leg which has been shaking.)
Daniel: (Stops moving leg.) Well I hope she looks just like mommy. (Touches Emily's face.) Then I'll have the two most beautiful girls in the world. (Emily kisses his cheek. Daniel moves and faces her on the couch. He suddenly looks very sad.)  Everything would be perfect with you two. I love you.
Emily: What do you mean, silly. We're right here. (She laughs.) And we love you too. So... Much. (She starts to gag.) I'll be right back, don't come in please. (Runs out of spotlight. You can hear the sound of vomiting faintly through the music. Daniel lets out a concerned laugh.)
Daniel: Are you sure you don't want me to help you, babe? I could hold your hair back. (Waits for a second for Emily to reply. The vomiting sound has stopped.) Babe? Can you hear me?  Em? Baby?
(Suddenly there is a knock on the door, the entire stage lights up, and the classical music stops. Rather than being clean to match the couch and coffee table the rest of the apartment is a mess. There are clothes and trash thrown on the ground. The walls have holes in them. Daniel stands up, obviously confused as he looks around his home. There is a knock again, this time louder.)
Daniel: Come in! The door is unlocked! (He attempts to kick most of the trash behind the couch as his best friend,Alex,comes inside.)
Alex: Daniel. (Angrily) Where have you been? Nobody has seen you all week. I thought you were dead. (His tone softens on this part as he takes in the condition of the apartment. He sighs, and a look of pity and worry comes over his face. He sits on the couch where Emily was. Daniel is standing.) Danny, have you been taking your medication? Are you okay?
Daniel: Yeah, yeah. Well... No. I forgot. I keep forgetting. (His voice breaks and he starts to cry.) I keep forgetting, man.
Alex: (Pulls Daniel onto couch where he continues to sob.) I'm sorry, Danny. I'm sorry. I should have came and checked on you. I thought you were doing okay. I'm so sorry. Look,take the pill now. I'll go get us some lunch. Do you want some Chinese food? (Pats Daniels back and stands.) I'll stay with you. Help you clean this stuff up. Okay? You can't live like this, man. It's not healthy. You'll feel better after we fix the place up. You'll see, you will.
Daniel: (Pulling himself together, he sniffs.) Yeah, you're probably right. I'll start while you get the food.
(Alex leaves and Daniel starts to pick things up. He does it slowly. As he is cleaning he finds his phone and picks it up. There are saved voice messages. Most of them from Emily. He puts the phone on speaker phone, and the messages play, there are four. Daniel sits down on the couch while listening.)
Phone: You have four saved messages. First message 150 days old.
Emily: Hey baby, it's me. Just wanted to tell you I love you. I've got bad morning sickness again. So, if you could pick up some crackers on your way home from work that would be great. I'll see you soon, bye.
Phone: Next saved message 136 days old.
Emily: Daniel, I loooove you. (Laughs) Gosh, you work so much. You're gonna be such a good father. I can't wait til you're home. The baby misses you too. Next week is my appointment, to figure out the sex. I hope you can come, love. It'll be okay if not though. I like surprising you. Well, come home soon. I miss you.
Phone: Next Saved Message 129 days old.
Emily: Danny, I wanted to surprise you, but I just couldn't wait. We're having a girl! A baby girl, can you believe that? I'm so happy, love. Now we can paint the nursery and pick out clothes. (She starts crying.)  It was so amazing, sweetie. When they told me I could just picture you holding her. I can't wait. Four more months and we'll get to meet her. Can you imagine it? Us and our beautiful baby girl. She'll be the most spoiled thing in this world. Come home soon, sweetie so we can celebrate. I love y- (Honking in the background of the message is heard Emily screams and there is the sound of a crash, before the message cuts off. It is then that it become obvious Emily is dead.)
Phone: Last saved message 2 days old.
Dr. Jackson: Daniel, it's Dr. Jackson from the mental health department. You haven't set up your next counseling session. This is the second week in a row I haven't heard from you. Please call back, I need to know you're all right. I understand it can be hard to deal with, but because of your break down last month I need you to come in. Grief is hard, even when you're not grieving for your wife and baby. Nobody is blaming you, Daniel. You have to let me help though. Emily would have wanted this-(Daniel throws the phone, shattering it. He yells, and breaks the coffee table. He finds a gun under the couch. He sits with it, sobbing.)
Daniel:  What the hell makes him think he knows what she would want? She was my wife! My wife! If she would want anything it would to be alive! With our baby! My baby and my wife should be here! They should be here! (He sounds insane, obviously an effect of the doctors words. But as he continues his voice weakens and he is simply sobbing out words. Emily walks back in. He sees her and stands.) Why can't you be here, Em? Why?
Emily: ( Hugs Daniel.) It just wasn't meant to be, love. Not in this life. I know you're angry. I know you're sad. You have to let go though, baby. You can't live like this.
Daniel: I can't let go, Emily. I just can't! I miss you. I miss our life. I wanted to name the baby Anastasia. Anastasia, so her name could be as pretty as she is. Em, I want you back, I want her back. Why did you have to go? (Sobs on her shoulder.)
Emily: Daniel, I've been patient with you. Now stop, darling. You have to keep living. You have to keep going. For us. Please? I can't be here anymore, love. I have to go. I can't be here anymore... It's not good for you. (She steps away from Daniel. And walks towards the door. He surprisingly doesn't move. As Emily gets to the door she looks back at him with a look of sorrow.) I'm not real, love. (She leaves then, the door closing quietly behind her. Daniel sits back on the couch, gun still in his hand. Emily's voice can still be heard throughout the theatre.)
Emily's voice: I'm not real, love, I'm not real, Love. I love you. I'm not real, love. It's a girl! We're going to have a beautiful baby girl. I love you sooo much! I'm not real, love. (These phrases repeat twice. On the last "love" Daniel screams, making the voice stop.)
Daniel: (yelling) She's not even real! She's not real! They're gone! She's not real! (Starts to sob, still repeating "She's not real." As he does so he lifts the gun to his head.) She... isn't. Real. (The light's go off, and the sound of a gunshot echoes in the building.)

I wrote this for an Intro to Theatre class at a local University. I knew imediately that I wanted it to be dramatic, and make you feel deeply for the main character. I want people to be moved by this in the most terrible way possible. Anybody can make you laugh, but I wanted to make you feel gut wrenching sorrow. Please, if nothing else, let me know if I did that.