Why and How | Teen Ink

Why and How

November 12, 2014
By Tyler Williams-Amaker BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Tyler Williams-Amaker BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Y
Characters
The speaker: He is a young man, who is young and charismatic.  He is very cocky with a slightly dangerous feel and a quick smile.

Setting: A nearly empty room with a chair and table

Act I, Scene I
The speaker is dressed in either all grey or navy blue.  He sits in the chair obviously comfortable with a friendly, easy going nature.

THE SPEAKER

(As if responding to a question, animated as if talking to a close friend or family member) 

Well, I like kids, I’ve always liked kids.  From what I can tell, they like me too.  (Pauses as if thinking the idea over) Liked, they liked me.  Not so much anymore.  That’s my fault.  Well, you did your damndest to make it worse.  That didn’t help, not that it matters anymore.  (Softly) Like it used to.  (Pause then normally) That’s not what you wanted to hear is it?  (Laughs)  I can tell by your expression.  Your jaw sets when you're angry. (Pause) I could play the bad guy if you want.  Oh, oh wait.  That just made you angrier.  I know exactly what you want to say, it’s written all over your face, (mockingly) “This is not a game.” Alright, I get it.  But I’m not going to lie, I like kids.  If that bothers you, I suggest a career change.    (Pause, then surprised the word is spoken as if he’s repeating something he heard) How?  (Smiling) Now that’s a big leap, from kids straight to - damn, you don’t believe in segways do you?  You know I always watch cop shows.  I thought interrogations were all about bribes and s***, but damn.  You’re taking all the fun out of this.  Holy s***.  (mumbling) Uhm, how, how, how.  Well (Pause) Well, you already know don’t you?  It’s all in the forensics anyway.  (Smiles and laughs to himself) I wasn’t careful.  So, why ask?  Wait, don’t answer, there’s no point.  (Pause) You’re doing it again Mr. Officer. I can see everything on your face, (mock concern) you should really think about that career change.(Looks up as if seeing someone, then sets his face into a scowl mimicking the officer)  Damn, how do you do that?  (Makes face again) It hurts.  (Pause) I don’t plan on answering your question.  because...you don’t actually care.  How, isn’t what you want to know here.  There are hundreds of ways to kill a person.  But the fact is that once someone is dead, they stay dead.  How they die doesn’t really matter.  (Pause) You call it murder.  All that matters is that in the end, (pause, softly) no one comes back.  (Pause) Yes, (confused) I killed her, but I don’t see what that has to do with what I’m saying (pauses, then distractedly) Your jaw’s doing that thing again.  (Pause) No (Loudly) No! (Forcefully) no no no no no.  Stop asking how.  I’ve already told you, that’s not what you care about. (muttered) This is why I hate stupid people.  They always ask the wrong questions.  An idiot goes outside everyday and asks how the sky is blue.  (Loudly) It doesn’t matter (frustrated) Come on, for the love of God, just think.  There’s a question you want answered right?  There’s one thing somewhere in the back of that miniscule little mind that doesn’t give a flying f*** about how I killed a five year old.  (Pauses, bangs his head on the table) Is that the best you can do? (Sighs) You want to know why, right?  It’s not how the kid died, but why she died. (Pause) God, I can feel my IQ dropping just being in the same room as you.  (Pause) I’m not going to tell you that either of course.  (Pause) Why?  Oh I taught the monkey a new word.  (Angry) Wipe the tears from your face. Why, is important, but it doesn’t actually matter does it?  (Pause) If I tell you why, will it bring her back?  Will it put her back in her mother’s arms?  Will it erase my death sent (pauses) ence?  (Slowly) If it could (pause, sighs shakely and then puts his head in his hands speaking softly)  I don’t want to die. (Suddenly looking very tired) Trust me, I would tell you everything if it would make all this, go away.  (Softly) But it won’t.  Nothing is going to change, and this time next week I’ll be de (pause) gone.  Trust me, I know she was your daughter and you have every right to be upset, but (pause) the answer won't be what you’re looking for, I can't give you what you want.  I’m not even sorry that I killed her.  (Smiles and chuckles) I just, don’t want to die.