Nothing Lasts Forever | Teen Ink

Nothing Lasts Forever

November 5, 2014
By Jordan Eisele BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Jordan Eisele BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

WONDER
Walks around the circle again
Ring-a-round the Rosie…

GALAXY
I’m starting to catch on to this. Beauty will be replaced with Ugly.

BEAUTY
How rude of you to define me as that; I find myself very attractive.

GALAXY
It is only the truth—Beauty… This world we live in will be engulfed in darkness. Causing Nature to die and the rest of us to follow her lead.

DREAMER
I don’t understand why we have to end like this. (Looks at LOVE Longley)
We’ll we ever have you back?

LOVE
What in the—hell are you talking about? I’ve been the same as always. How Beauty always wanted me to be.

BEAUTY
Looks at LOVE Longley
I’d rather have the old you back.

LOVE
Gasps and points at BEAUTY
Coming from the one who never liked my attitude—sorry to say I love the new me.

BEAUTY
Sorry to say we hate the new you.

LOVE
Shrug’s her shoulders
Well, that’s just too damn bad isn’t it?

NATURE
I do not like this one bit. (SHE walks over to LOVE slowly. You can tell she’s having a hard time walking and she starts to wrap her arms around her but LOVE pushes away)
LOVE
Steps back in disgust
What in the hell are you doing, Nature?

NATURE
Steps back with hurt in her eyes
Giving you a hug—you always liked hugs…

LOVE
Hugs? As far as I can remember I’ve never liked hugs. (SHE starts to think really hard for a long time) As far as I remember I cant remember anything… (SHE looks really confused for a second but she does something that surprises everyone. SHE starts to walk in a circle with WONDER)

WONDER and LOVE
Pocket full of posies…

GALAXY
Oh my! What’s she doing?

DREAMER
Did I forget to mention that part of my dream?

NATURE
Yes you did, Dreamer hurry up and explain.

DREAMER
Let me try to remember this the best I can—(SHE thinks long and hard for a second) It’s like follow the leader. One of us will be next.

BEAUTY
Pipes up from the silence
What happens then when everyone starts walking? (BEAUTY is a complete disaster! HER hair is all gray and has started to fall out. HER face has cracked and a zillion wrinkles have appeared.)

DREAMER
I woke up right before it happened—guess we’ll have to find out?

NATURE
Start’s to breathe heavily
This is the scariest moment of my life.

DREAMER
Walks up to NATURE and puts her arm around her
At least were together I guess that’s the good part. (BEAUTY starts to walk behind LOVE)

LOVE, BEAUTY, and WONDER
Ashes…

NATURE
Start’s to panic
Oh my god! Oh my god! What do we do? (SHE looks hopelessly at LOVE, BEAUTY, AND WONDER walking around in a circle. THERE faces expression less and they all three stare straight ahead.) I don’t want to be walking in a circle for the rest of my life. My back wouldn’t be able to take it.

GALAXY
Who said that’s what will be doing. Maybe the spell we’ll wear off.

NATURE
Look’s at her with a smile
You think so?

GALAXY
I only pray so. (DREAMER starts to fall asleep standing up)

NATURE
Shakes her
You can’t fall asleep in a time like this.

DREAMER
Look’s up dazed
I’m so tired though (HER head starts to nod back again)

NATURE
Snap’s her fingers in front of her face

DREAMER
Look’s up dazed again
Me want’s to attend some dreams… (SHE starts to veer off towards the circle)

NATURE
NO! Not her! (NATURE grabs for her but DREAMER slips out of her grasp and doesn’t look back. NATURE starts to whimper)

GALAXY
It’ll be our turns soon, we must only wait.

LOVE, BEAUTY, WONDER, and DREAMER
Ashes…

NATURE
I don’t want to wait for death but it already feels like it’s coming for me (SHE starts to rub her back)

GALAXY
We must stay calm through a time like this…

NATURE
How can you possibly stay calm through a time like this?

GALAXY
easy, just don’t think about it my dear. Close your eyes and relax.

NATURE
Start’s to moan and groan because her back is killing her. SHE is now hunched over with her hand on her lower back.
Oh my, I fear I won’t be able to take it, this is killing me (SHE tries to straighten out her back but it’s too much work) It’s so hard to stay focused.

GALAXY
Sits on the ground and crosses her legs.
Darling, think about peace, love, flowers—(SHE holds out to NATURE and she takes her hand) positive things.

NATURE
Start’s to panic
I feel the darkness reaching it’s hands for me—it’s my time soon Galaxy.

GALAXY
Squeeze’s her hand
My senses tell me only to wish you the best, Nature.

NATURE
tightens her grip onto GALAXY’S hand
I want you too know you’ll always be my greatest friend—one that has helped me through a lot.

GALAXY
Look’s up at NATURE and grins
I thank you for that, Nature.

NATURE
SHE starts to be dragged forcefully to the circle of women
Whatever happens Galaxy, I’ll always think of you. Always… (NATURE goes wide-eyed for a second before she’s sucked into the circle. SHE falls right behind DREAMER and walks in sink with the other ladies. This time there’s silence.)

GALAXY
Stands up and walks to the edge of the circle. SHE taps each girl on the shoulder as they walk by. WONDER is the first girl she taps but she still looks straight.
Wonder, you always had a mind of your own; a gut of curiosity. (HER hand falls from her shoulder and she smiles when LOVE walks by.) Love, you will always have a caring heart and you know when the time is right to help somebody out. You have a sympathetic soul. (SHE then taps BEAUTY on the shoulder and she chuckles a little bit.) You were such a feisty young lady Beauty. (SHE looks at her for a long time and smiles)  You had that attitude that sparked other’s matches. (SHE waits for DREAMER to walk by and pats her shoulder as well) Dreamer, you had a wild imagination and I hope you make our dreams worth watching. (A tear start’s to slip out of her eyes when NATURE walks past. HER body has started to produce mold and you can tell the way she walks that her body isn’t handling it that well. GALAXY wipes her tears away fast as she starts to be pulled into the circle.) You were always a beautiful creature Nature, you made the day more gorgeous—(HER voice is suddenly removed and she starts to fall into step with the other women. They walk in a three full circles.)

WONDER, LOVE, BEAUTY, DREAMER, NATURE, AND GALAXY
Say this in sink
We all fall down… (Lights instantly turn to black and five beats are waited. Light’s reappear on the women lying on the ground still. No BODY moves. The sky is still and no stars in sight. The ladies lay on their backs this way and that. Sprawled out on the floor. Lights finally go black.)