The Fortune | Teen Ink

The Fortune

By MyahS BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois
MyahS BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois

I was having a great day and then things turned very suddenly. I began my day with my daily routine going out to coffee and chatting it up with anyone I came across, like their was no tomorrow. The whole morning went by pretty fast and by now lunch came around. I went out for lunch at my local chinese restaurant down the street from where I lived. I ate a very delicious meal and like any person does after eating chinese, had a fortune cookie. I opened it and immediately read the fortune. What was written shocked me, “Your life is in danger. Say nothing to anyone. You must leave the city immediately and never return. Repeat: say nothing.” I didn’t believe what it said or that it had any importance so I ate the cookie carelessly. I threw away the fortune and my other trash, left and walked back home. When I got home I went straight into the kitchen. I screamed at the site of what was on my counter. It was the fortune that I had just thrown away. It’s not possible I told myself. I threw it away and forgot about it, like it was never there.

I woke Friday morning and went through my daily routine. I came into work and chatted it up with my co workers. I told them all about how I was. I finally left and went to my desk as they seem to be losing interest. I walked into my office area and my eyes immediately focused on my desk. I walked up closer then fell back onto the ground when I saw what it was. I thought to myself someone has to be doing this to me, something that I threw away can’t just show up on it’s own. After I caught my breath I got back up grabbed the fortune nervously and ran straight to Joe, a guy I worked with, to ask him about it. He always had answers for me so I figured he could help. I asked him if he knew someone was playing a prank on me. It would make sense because everyone was seemingly trying to ignore me lately. He said no so I  left and went back to my office space. I tried working, but I was too distracted by the situation. So, I went home early that day to take a nap.
When Monday rolled around I went back to work not thinking about the fortune because it had been a few days. As I drove to work and parked in the lot. I made my way towards the entrance. I was a few steps away when I bumped into an elderly man. I felt sorry for him and apologized. He didn’t speak a word to me, just staring, not blinking. It began to creep me out so I turned to go inside, but he tugged my arm. I twisted back and he looked me in the eyes like he was trying to tell me something. I shook him away and quickly walked back to my car. Something felt off so I skipped work and went home. All of this was making me feel crazy and my mind couldn't keep up. I sat down in my living room to try and process the situation. The man did not look familiar, I have never seen him, whoa whoa whoa. This has to do with the fortune. Now I knew something was up and went into panic mode. I got up from the couch and decided I needed to go to the doctor. It seemed like a good idea. Hopping in the car, I drove to the nearest hospital and got checked out. I told the doctor all that has happened, a reappearing fortune and the crazy old man, then I answered some questions. Long story short the doctor had no answers for me and told me to forget about everything and take a small break to relax.
I spent a week chilling out either watching tv or a movie, reading, or going on a walk. By the end of the week I was feeling good and headed back into work that monday. I walked in and like always socialized with my coworkers and told them about how crazy my last few weeks have been. Yet not one person seemed to care. It made me upset because everyone always listened when I talked. I finished chatting and spent the rest of the day at  my computer doing work. The end of the day came around and I started to pack up to leave. I exited out of all my windows on my computer when a strange message popped up on my screen. My curiosity to open it quickly turned into fright as I read franticly. “Alert! Alert! If this message is ignored any longer you will be in grave danger. Listen to this and leave the city immediately, don’t speak to anyone. You are on a mission to save the world. This message will self destruct in 3...2...1.” As the screen went black I felt a weird rush go through me. Its almost like someone had flipped a switch and I knew exactly what I had to do, and where to go. I left work went home and packed a bag to leave the city.
I walk to the nearest subway station which was completely empty of people when I arrived. My mind continues to give me directions and I feel like I can’t stop. I walk down the stairs and grab a piece of paper with further directions of bench. I then walk down another set of stairs which lead me into a tunnel. I start to feel scared and alone, which is unusual to me because I always have someone to talk to or be around. I continue walking despite this and I am eventually led to a bright opening. I take a step into the light and see my surroundings. I see people and give a sigh of relief. Strangers are better than no one at all. The place appears to be a village and I walk towards the nearest women to ask her for directions back to Cali. I say, “Excuse me,” she turns, “um hi, my name is Sammy, where am I?” Oddly the women doesn’t answer and just stares at me, I go up to a few more people to see if they can help, but I get the same response. What is up with this place, I don’t like it here, why is everyone so mean? Why won’t they talk to me?
I decide to find a place to sleep for the night as the sun was setting and I wasn’t getting anywhere with no communication. I found a run down apartment and crawled in through one of the broken windows. It was surprisingly cozy  and peaceful and I wasn’t afraid of being noticed by anyone. I woke up the next morning to try and find food, which I hadn't realized I lost my bag packed full of food. It was surprisingly easy to get a hold of food because I walked to the farmers market along the road. I grabbed a bag from the stand and began picking a bunch of food and some water. I then went up to the lady to see how I could buy it without money. She stared at me blankly, I wasn’t surprised. So I decided to take what I had grabbed and just left, no one stopped me. Than I made it my mission to find a way out of here. I continuously began to walk up to random people and ask them to help me, but I  never got any responses. I began to lose track of time and it felt like it had been weeks. I started to feel extremely alone, by now I had forgot about the fortune cookie and the potential danger I had been warned about. All that I felt now was loneliness and sadness. It stunk and i just wanted to curl up in a ball and do nothing. 
A thought hit me as I sat down to take a break.  Now I know how my fellow workers feel, always being ignored while I was the center of attention. I never even realized it. The whole time I was alway blabber mouthing and they felt like they had no voice. I know exactly how they feel and worse. I felt even more horrible now and wanted to be back home to apologize to anyone I ever ignored. I sat there for a while just staring blankly, my mind was completely empty. As I regained consciousness of what was around me I realized it was pitch black. I figured I had fallen asleep and open my eyes expecting to see the rundown apartment I had been sleeping in at the village. But what I saw was much different and all I could do was screech. I got a rush of energy that felt like a warm wave was coming over me. I bolted out of my bed. I was home at last. I felt like I needed to sleep and take a rest from everything that had happened. Instead I went straight to my work and apologized to everyone I could think of. I never made an effort to find out how the fortune cookie and message even showed up. All I wanted to do was talk to people, hear what they had to say and be nice. I realized through all the trouble that keeping my mouth shut gave me more happiness than anything. I now had no worries and was more thankful than ever to be home, safe, happy, loved and most of all, loving to others.

I was insired by my writing teacher to write a creative piece