Them. | Teen Ink

Them.

By bettinajsg BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
bettinajsg BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

23 year old Ryan Witt is an orphan in Carbondale, Colorado. Abandoned at the mere age of 6 months by drug addicted parents, he learned to strive on his own and be independent.

-Room in an abandoned building-

*Talking to himself*
*Ryan paces in the room and places his hand on his head in despair*
They call me crazy, a druggy, lonely boy. They tell me that my parents left me because I wasn’t good enough. They try to hurt me, degrade me, corrupt my mind with negative thoughts about myself, but I know that I’m better. You might say, Ryan, don’t be conceited. But it is true, while growing up in my orphanage, I was, and still am star soccer player, although I never did well in school, they always helped me through. They aren’t always good influences though.

*Ryan sits down roughly, letting out a big sigh*

They were the ones who told me to do it. They told me that I needed to try it or they’d hurt me. I never wanted to get into drugs and follow in the footsteps of my Fucked up parents, but I didn’t want them to hurt me. None of it helped me, the speed, the smack ,nor the weed. It all greatly hurt me, but I knew that they would hurt me more than the drugs ever did.

*Ryan starts pacing around the room again*

Last September.. it was, it was then when I got caught.
*Ryan points to his head*
They kept telling me to use, and they made me get caught. They did it. When the cops came in… they were the ones who told me to run, they made me get caught, they made me get in trouble. They made me get kicked out of the orphanage. It was them who ruined me. They made me have to live on the streets.

*Ryan looks out the window*
Don’t, please don’t, don’t start calling me crazy, please. I’m not I promise. I just don’t want them to talk to me anymore. I want them to go away.
*Ryan begins to hit his head repeatedly against the window*
Please make them go away… Please.. I don’t need them. They hurt me. That’s all they do. Hurt me. I don’t need them. I don’t want them. Get them out

*Ryan raises his head in confusion*

Who are they? I can’t figure it out. They are in my head. I… I… I… never mind Ryan. Just stop. They… they… they.. they are the voices that overwhelm my head and they don’t stop.