Old Burns Manor | Teen Ink

Old Burns Manor

May 19, 2014
By ImStillSilent GOLD, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
ImStillSilent GOLD, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is always a chance of failure. It just depends on how you look at it to see if you truly lost or won.


CHARACTERS
ALICE



Curious trouble maker. Short tempered.
JULIET

Alice’s best friend. Is usually drug into whatever Alice is scheming.
JAIMA

Follower of Alice who has a tendency to over think what’s going on.


?
SETTING

The old Burns Manor.
TIME

Late evening. Late 1970s.
?
ACT 1
Scene 1

Front of the manor

Late evening
Scene 2

Child’s bedroom

One hour later
Scene 3

Garage



Hour later
?
ACT 1
SCENE 1
(The in the front half of an old run down manor in the late evening. Alice, Juliet, and Jaima are talking about the house. They are all wearing black.)
ALICE
It will be fine. I highly doubt that anyone will truly care if we have a little look around. It’s not like anyone lives here or anything.
JAIMA
That doesn’t always mean anything you know that right? The last time we did anything like this we almost got arrested.
JULIET
She’s right you know. The only way we got out of that was by sitting down and crying that we were only curious and we didn’t mean to hurt anyone.
ALICE
(huffs in annoyance)
(Something in the house falls down the stairs.)
(They all jump in fright.)
JAIMA
See I told you this place was bad news and we come anyway despite all that. This place is supposedly haunted by the man’s kids. You do know that the father killed them in their sleep, right?
ALICE
(scoffs)
Please like that actually happened. It’s just an old ghost story that people tell around campfires.
(goes over to look at what fell down the stairs.)
It’s just a ball. It must have rolled down the steps when we closed the door. Things like that happen all the time.
JULIET
You said the same thing last time. And do I have to remind you of what happened that day? If I do, feel free to tell me at any time and I will.
ALICE
Whatever you two. You’re just a bunch of chickens about places like this.
(moves to walk up the stairs.)
JAIMA
Wait, Alice!
(grabs Alice’s hand.)
Don’t go up there. You don’t know what could be lurking up there in the dark. For all we know it could be those little kids who died, but now they’re evil and want to kill us or something.
ALICE
(pulls hand away from Jaima.)
Jaima we have been standing down here for over an hour and I’m bored. We’ve already looked through most of the downstairs rooms and I want to see what’s up stairs now. But if you and Juliet wish to stay down here then be my guest.
(vanishes up the stairs.)
JULIET
(sighs)
Let’s go and make sure she doesn’t break anything. This is an old house after all.
(Juliet and Jaima clamber up the stairs after Alice.)
SCENE 2
(Alice, Juliet, and Jaima have come out of a dark hall and have come across and child’s old bedroom. The left half of the room is a faded blue and the other a faded pink. Alice and Jaima stand on the left have of the room and Juliet is on the other)
JAIMA
(gestures to the room.)
See I told you there were kids here. But you didn’t believe me.
JULIET
(picks up a small worn book)
This must have been the little girl’s diary. Unfortunately I can’t read it, the writing is too faded and the pages yellowed with time. There was also another book right beside it, but I can’t read the title of it.
ALICE
(shrugs)
Oh well. Time does eventually get to things. And it is mighty depressing that they place was closed up with everything still inside it as if the people were scared to move anything.
JAIMA
See Alice. Even Juliet over there sees that there had been children here so why can’t you just get over the fact that maybe you were wrong and that we should all just go home and pretend that this never happened, because to be honest I really don’t want to be arrested again. Some people may start thinking things.
ALICE
Oh come on you two! It doesn’t matter what happened the first time when we were doing this, but we won’t get caught this time because we won’t take anything with us and we won’t make as much noise as we did last time either. So just stop your complaining and have fun already. If you all didn’t want to be here then you didn’t have to come with me. I gave you guys the option to stay at home like last time, but you guys came with me and now we’re back to doing just what we were doing last time. Which is arguing.
JAIMA
(sighs and puts up her hands)
Fine, me and Juliet won’t say anymore about the house and we’ll just tag along behind you and hope that the angry ghosts don’t get us.
ALICE
(heaves a sigh)
Fine you can be that way then. But I spy with my little eye a garage in the back of the lot and I want to explore it. If all the stuff is still in the house who’s to say that they removed what’s in there. I wonder if there is a car down there and if there’s stuff in the car.
JULIET
Okay then. Let’s go and see if there’s a car in the garage because I’m now curious to see if there is now. There must be a back door to the garage so they driver doesn’t have to walk back around the house to get in.

SCENE 3
(The door leading to an old weathered garage that is as grey as the house with ivy growing up its sides onto the roof. Alice, Juliet, and Jaima are standing by the door and Alice is about to open the door.)
ALICE
Alright now that we’ve finally gotten over that issue we can move on and leave this place when we’re done.
(places hand on the door and pushes it open)
And now we continue in and see if there really is a car in there or not.

(Alice, Juliet, and Jaima step into the garage and gawk at a large sheet covering what appears to be a vehicle of some kind.)
JULIET
Why cover up a car and not the rest of the things in the house. I highly doubt that the car is worth more then what is in the house? It just doesn’t make any since.
JAIMA
Maybe someone is coming back here to take care of the car. Or maybe someone is using the garage to store their own car so they won’t have to worry about it being damaged or stolen.
ALICE
Oh who cares about why it’s here all I care about is what kind of car it is. My dad is a big car fanatic and has pounded things about cars into my head for years because he doesn’t have a son to do any of that with.
(Alice reaches over and pulls the dusty sheet off the car.)
(Alice, Juliet, and Jaima all gawk at the car.)
ALICE
(stunned)
Oh my God. That right there is a 1978 Mustang II. But I thought that they had stopped making them because nobody could afford them and the company went out of business.

JULIET
(coughs)
Well I suppose this is one of the few that were bought before the company went out of business. Jaima didn’t you do research on the house the other day?
JAIMA
Why yes I did. What the papers said was that the master of the house worked with the mafia and that he gained a large amount of money from it and that’s about it that could link the car to being here. Sorry.
JULIET
It’s alright. At least we know something that could link things for us. Thank you.
(Alice moves and peers through the passenger side window)
ALICE
Hey! There’s a pair of sunglasses sitting in the passenger’s seat. The strange thing is that they look brand new.
JAIMA
Maybe the dust never got in the car to cover the sunglasses so they look brand new.
JULIET
Alright Alice we came, we saw, and now we leave. There’s no point in staying any longer we’ve explored everything and now we go before we get caught.
ALICE
(sighs)
Okay we’ll go. I’ll give in this time. I hope you feel happy now.

JAIMA
Yes we are now happy. That and we’ve learned a little about the house and what’s inside of it.
(Alice, Juliet, and Jaima snuck off the property and stood in front of the house. They are covered in dust and dirt and look very tired.)
ALICE
(slight smile)
Well lets all head home now.
(Alice, Juliet, and Jaima head down the street. Alice turns around and gazes at the house. Two small figures appear in one of the upper windows. The two figures wave to Alice. Alice gasps and turns around to Juliet and Jaima who are ahead of her.)
ALICE
Hey, wait for me!
(runs after Juliet and Jaima.)
(scene goes dark.)