King of Fools (Act 1, Scene 4) | Teen Ink

King of Fools (Act 1, Scene 4)

By Southernerd SILVER, DeRidder, Louisiana
Southernerd SILVER, DeRidder, Louisiana

"A man who stands for nothing falls for anything."

(KING JAMES is pacing and yelling as he speaks to his PRINCESS ANNABELLE)
KING JAMES: Of all the most disgusting displays, this tops them all! You not only bore the rags of a guard, but were seen by dozens of common folk! The royal family has no business on the battlefield!
PRINCESS ANNABELLE: Yes, but you have found fault with every captain that we've tried to summon. This one is too lenient! This one can't keep his men in line! This one is too harsh and will make us look as though we are overlords! Can you not be pleased?
KING JAMES: Hold your tongue! From here on out, you shall be watched and kept locked inside the castle barriers! Never am I to hear of your escapades, am I clear!?
PRINCESS ANNABELLE: (holds back tears) Here. Take this gift, so that you may not entirely lose your daughter.
(PRINCESS ANNABELLE tosses the bag at the king, who catches it and sets it down, sighing)
KING JAMES: Anna, I-
PRINCESS ANNABELLE: Don't speak to me. I apparent;y do nothing but "shame" our family.
(PRINCESS ANNABELLE walks offstage as KING JAMES sits in his throne. SHADOW can be heard speaking to the audience.)
SHADOW: And thus, the revelation has begun.
(Curtain fall)