Evil Monologue | Teen Ink

Evil Monologue

By VentureRose BRONZE, Hawley, Pennsylvania
VentureRose BRONZE, Hawley, Pennsylvania

“The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly.”

-Madeleine L’Engle, A Wrinkle in Time

You really are sniveling fools, aren’t you? Breaking into MY PALACE, attempting to climb through MY ventilation system, getting stuck, escaping from my guards and making your way into my inner sanctum? How dense can you be? Is this really all that the world has to offer as opponents? Two idiotic boys, barely past puberty, and an even more inept mage that is now bleeding out after hitting the button that blatantly says “do not press” right in the midst of some OBVIOUSLY dangerous materials? I’m going to be honest, I’m quite disappointed. I really expected more from the world’s so called “last hope”. What did you think you would do when you got here, eh? Did you think you would find my one great source of power and destroy it in some great climactic battle, ridding the world of darkness forever?
Guess what kids? That’s not how this is going to work. Even if you manage to break free and fight me, there is no source of power. Because all of this, is mine. All of these weapons, all of this magic, all of this power, I earned it all! I worked for this power, and what did you do? You popped into the world a bloody crying mess, and someone gave you some cute little artifacts and you believe you deserve to win. You believe just because you can shout some magic words, or swing an enchanted sword, that you will be the ones to achieve what thousands of trained, disciplined warriors before you have failed to do.
Before you even got here, did you honestly think you were ready? All of those creatures that you destroyed, those faceless monsters that you triumphed over? They were sent by me. They were the easy ones, meant to build up your confidence. You know that dark, magic filled forest you trekked through to get here? Do you remember how easy it seemed? I guess you never would have thought that your enemy would have any reason to protect you. But I did. Those shadows lurking in the darkness became no more than shadows because of my protection. And so, you. Are. Weak. Any hope you had of becoming stronger has been systematically crushed. Every strong, caring warrior you’ve come across in your journey has been killed; everyone who knows how to wield those artifacts correctly is gone.
Even more, everyone in this world thinks you are responsible for it. It makes perfect sense doesn’t it? Three up and coming warriors, with a lust for power and fame, working their way into the hearts of the masters and slaughtering them right under everyone’s nose. You will be despised and hunted all across the globe, should you ever escape here. My killing you now would be the greatest mercy you could hope for.
And so, I’ll give you, and you alone, a choice, mage. You will join me, and your friends will go free, to fend for themselves as best they can. Or you can refuse, and they will die. Either way, you will join me. And believe me, if I must kill them, you will watch every second of their suffering and feel it for yourself the extent of my power. No matter what you choose, remember that I am in control, and this world you are in, is mine.

Not exactly the best piece, but it was a fun assignment to do and I really liked how it sounded when it was read. It was my little attempt at violating the whole "no monologue" thing while still abiding by the Evil Overlord List.