New Perspective | Teen Ink

New Perspective

By Kylieannie13 BRONZE, Sweet Home, Oregon
Kylieannie13 BRONZE, Sweet Home, Oregon

New Perspective
(Stage directions and emotions are in parenthesis and italicized)
Characters:
-Police officer Jones
-Drug addict Daniel
-Emergency Operator (E.O.)
-Domestic abuser Dave
-Officer Jones Son:
-Scary monster Stacy
-Judge Jerry

Scene One
Alley behind run down apartments
Officer Jones: Put your hands behind your back and slowly get down on the ground!
Daniel: (slowly he puts his hands behind his back and kneels to the floor) I….I…I’m sorry. I didn't mean it officer…honestly…please
Officer Jones: (Walks over towards Daniel. Speaks in a stern tone) You should have thought about that earlier young man, before you decided to get all doped up on narcotics, (Now with a softened tone) now what do you think your parents are going to say when they find out that you've been arrested for third time this week Daniel?
Daniel: (Frantically speaking) Please don’t tell them! I promise this will be the last time, I…I swear! Just please don’t tell them! (Saddened tone) I can’t hurt my mother any more then I already have. I haven’t been home all week.
Office Jones: (Sounding hopeful) Well…let’s just “stop there and let me correct it”
Daniel: (Sounding hopeful) I’ll do anything to fix this, “I wanna live a life from a new perspective”
Officer Jones: (Friendly tone. Puts hand on Daniel’s shoulder) I think you better come in with me, I’ll take you to the nearest rehab center and well get you all squared away, although, if this happens again Daniel, I’ll have to take you in and report the mishap.
Daniel: (Excited and thankful. Puts both hands on officer Jones’s hand that was just on the shoulder and shakes it violently) Thank you officer! Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to me!
Officer Jones: There is no time for thanking me Danny boy; we just gotta get you cleaned up and on your way to a healthy reputation. Hey, wait! (Confused) Is that blood dripping down your neck? (Worried) Daniel are you hurt? (Daniel collapses) Daniel, it’s alright! You’ll be okay!
Daniel: (Not fully aware) “Who cares divine intervention; I wanna be praised from a new perspective.”
Officer Jones: “But leaving now would be a good idea…”
Daniel: “So catch me up on getting out of here.”
Scene Two
House of Dave the Domestic Abuser
E.O: (Monotone) Officer Jones, we got a call from a woman who sounds terrified. She claims her husband “Dave” has been beating her and she’s afraid she can’t take much more.
Officer Jones: Thanks, forward me the address. I’m on my way. (Arrives at the scene and proceeds to walk up to the house. Hears the TV blaring and knocks on the door three times, no answer, proceeds to knock 3 more times) Hello? This is police officer Jones. I received a call about a woman in distress, (Still no answer. Hears sobbing sounds from a woman in the background) if you don’t open the door I’ll be forced to knock it down. (Still no answer. Sobbing stops) Dave can you hear me?
Dave: (Frantically speaking, muffled voice) I’m sorry officer, but I can’t do that! My wife has been bad and deserves what she’s getting.
Officer Jones: (Hears a voice coming from inside and continues to talk through the door) What has she done?
Dave: (Stern) She tried to leave me and threatened to take the kids with her! I can’t be without my babies officer, I won’t!
Officer Jones: (Reassuring tone) Everything is going to be okay Dave, Just let me in and I’ll take care of everything.
Dave: (Angrier) I already told you that officer, I can’t do it. You’re gonna try to take her away from me and I won’t let that happen. She can’t leave me! Not ever! (You hear the sound of him smacking his wife across the face)
Officer Jones: Dave, let me in. If you continue to do what you’re doing, I’ll have to take you and your wife and kids away, then you’ll be separated forever.
Dave: (continues beating his wife) That cannot happen, I won’t let it. Officer Jones?
Officer Jones: (Questioningly) Yes Dave?
Dave: What happens if I don’t want my wife anymore? Or my kids? What happens then?
Officer Jones: Well Dave… “Stop there and let me correct it.”
Dave: “I wanna live a life from a new perspective”
Officer Jones: Good, you should, now turn off your TV and come on out and we’ll go and settle this the right way.
Dave: Oh yeah, “There’s a haze above my TV that changes everything I see and maybe if I continue watching I’ll lose the traits that worry me.”
Officer Jones: Well Dave, I’m sure we can help you, “but leaving now would be a good idea.”
Dave: “So catch me up on getting out of here.”
Scene Three
In Officer Jones’s Son’s bedroom
Officer Jones’s Son: (Frightened shriek. Rapid speaking) Ahh! Daddy! Stacy came back, she’s scaring me!
Officer Jones: (Irritated) Stacy! Get out of his closet this instant! I've asked you nicely not to bother my child and yet you still continue to do so.
Stacy: Scaring children is my job, how do you expect me to pay for my kid’s scare school tuition if I’m not doing my job officer Jones?
Officer Jones: I understand that Stacy, but why do you have to scare my child? Can’t you scare the children next door?
Stacy: “More to the point, I need to show how much I can come and go. Other plans fell through.”
Officer Jones: “And put a heavy load on you?”
Stacy: Yes, your son is the most afraid of me. “I know there’s no more that need be said, when I’m inching through his bed,” so “take a look around instead and watch me go.”
Officer Jones: So you won’t be bothering my child any longer?
Stacy: No sir, I’ll be sure to pack my bags and surely I won’t return. Just one last thing?
Officer Jones: Yes Stacy?
Stacy: Can I stay one more night in the closet; it’s quite comfortable, very roomy and warm.
Officer Jones: No Stacy, “leaving now would be a good idea”
Stacy: “So catch me up on getting out of here.”
Scene Four
In courtroom
Judge Jerry: (To inmate at trial) Four years in jail with possible chance of bail! Bailiff, take him away!
Officer Jones: (Walks up to judge slowly) Excuse me, judge, I was wondering why you let him get away with such a crime without really sticking it to him. (Frustrated) I sincerely believe that this man ought to do more years in here to really show him why he should never do what he has done again.
Judge Jerry: (Exhausted) Yes, I understand officer, it’s just, sometimes I get so nervous being up in front of all these people that I just try to get it over with as soon as possible.
Officer Jones: (Accepting) That does sound quite stressful, but “It’s not fair, just let me perfect it.” All these men that deserve higher sentences are walking away with just a slap on the wrist, judge.
Judge Jerry: When “I feel the salty waves come in, I feel them crash against my skin,” and I…
Officer Jones: (Hopeful) “Stop there and let me correct it.”
Judge Jerry: (Hopeful) “I wanna live a life from a new perspective.” I just need to finish this last case.
Officer Jones: (Stern) “But leaving now would be a good idea.”
Judge Jerry: (Excited ) “So catch me up on getting out of here.”
All Characters: “Taking everything for granted but we still respect the time, we move along with some new passion knowing everything is fine.”

This play was inspired by the song "New Perspective" by the band Panic! At The Disco.