Lonely Eyes | Teen Ink

Lonely Eyes

Lonely Eyes

The Character list

Frankie Ross: An eighteen year old girl starting her senior

year high school, with a very troubled past and

present.

Doctor Bryant: The therapist that Frankie is forced to

speak with about her "issues"

Principal Franklin: The principal of Frankie's school.

Kyle Bryant: The boy who causes Frankie to see the

principal.

Jock: a random boy that goes to the high school.

The friend: is the jocks friend.

SCREENPLAY FOR LONELY EYES

INT. PRINCIPALS OFFICE - DAY

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

you punched someone in the face? really? what is happening to you Frankie?

FRANKIE

He deserved it.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

How did he deserve it, Frankie?

FRANKIE

He does this thing called breathing... really gets on my nerves.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

What the hell happened to you?! You use to have straight A's and use to be the nicest person I knew. Then you hit Junior year and everything spiraled down from there. You now barely make your classes and you are now punching people in the face for breathing? Not just people but the captain of the football team!

FRANKIE

Like I said he deserved it.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Either you tell me what the hell happened and what made you so pissed at the world or..

FRANKIE

Or what?

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

I will force you to see a therapist.

FRANKIE

Yeah well I can't afford that, so try again.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

One of our counselors was a therapist for ten years. She started today and you WILL be speaking with her.

FRANKIE

Whatever.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

I'm going to take that as a yes, so get up

FRANKIE

Now?

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Yes. Right now.

Frankie and the principal walk out of the principals office, wall into the hall, make a left, and open the door to find a woman unpacking her belongings.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Dr. Bryant

DR. BRYANT

Oh. Hello

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

How are you liking everything?

DR. BRYANT

Well I got her five minutes ago so... I don't know yet.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Okay well I have a student for you.

DR. BRYANT

Now?

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Yes. Is that a problem?

DR. BRYANT

I guess not.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Frankie. Get in here NOW.

Frankie walks in.

DR. BRYANT

Hello Frankie. I'm Dr. Bryant

FRANKIE

Hi.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

She is not allowed to leave until you hear everything. You will listen to everything and you will find out why she changed so suddenly. Do you understand?

DR. BRYANT

Yeah.

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Good.

He stays and lingers for awhile

DR. BRYANT

Well if you want me to begin... Get out.

He finally leaves and shuts the door behind him.

So, Frankie. What's up?

FRANKIE

Nothing.

DR. BRYANT

what are you here for?

FRANKIE

Nothing. I just punched a kid in the face.

DR. BRYANT

Really. Who? and why?

FRANKIE

Kyle Bryant...

DR. BRYANT

Excuse me? Did you just say Kyle Bryant.

FRANKIE

Haha... yes I did.

DR. BRYANT

The football captain? My son?

FRANKIE

Of course that would be your son, but yes.. that would be the guy.

DR. BRYANT

Why would you punch him in the face?

FRANKIE

Trust me he deserved it.

DR. BRYANT

I'm sorry honey, but if you aren't going to say anything to me than I might as well just call Principal Franklin back in here.

FRANKIE

You are his mother.

DR. BRYANT

I am the only person that can get you out of this place and back home.

FRANKIE

I don't want to go back there anyway.

DR. BRYANT

Why not?

FRANKIE

Because it's hell

DR. BRYANT

How?

FRANKIE

I don't want to talk about it.

DR. BRYANT

You have to.

FRANKIE

If I have to.. can I at least start from the beginning?

DR. BRYANT

Of course.

FLASHBACK
INT. FRANKIE'S HOME-DAY

VOICEOVER

FRANKIE

Okay. Well I guess the beginning would start in the somewhat end of Sophomore year. My... mom started to become "sad" I guess. She stopped saying good things to me. Just turned into either saying nothing at all or saying that I didn't make her happy... and it's just... what child wants to hear that? You know?

Shows a woman sitting on a coach and Frankie behind her mouthing bye, but the woman says nothing, doesn't even flinch. So she just leaves and gets into her car and starts to cry.

You know I cried everyday. Every single day in my way to school. But I always cleaned myself up before school. No one saw. No one knew.

Frankie stopping in an empty parking lot, wiping her eyes, putting make up on, and putting eye drops in her eyes. Then getting to school and putting a fake smile on her face.

I was mis..

PRESENT DAY
INT. HIGH SCHOOL-DAY

DR. BRYANT

Why didn't you tell anyone?

FRANKIE

Because. Why bother people with my problems when they have their own? Why put my problems on their shoulders along with theirs? That seems horridly selfish.

DR. BRYANT

Did you not trust anyone enough?

FRANKIE

No. No one. I make sure I don't get close to people. But let me finish?

DR. BRYANT

okay go on.

FLASHBACK

INT. HOUSE-DAY

VOICEOVER

FRANKIE

Like I was saying I was miserable. But I didn't let anyone see that. I talked, laughed, smiled, got great grades, then went home to take care of... mom. Dad was never home since he worked all the time. I don't even think he knew she was unhappy.

Frankie cooking, cleaning, and studying

I'll admit I rarely slept and rarely ate. I was too busy. Too busy getting straight A's. But then summer came around and I didn't have school anymore. I just had her. Just had to deal with her staring blankly. Her not moving. Me being the daughter making her miserable.

Frankie with three friends at a restaurant, laughing and talking.

but then

Frankie's eyes start to water

Then one day I decided to get in my car and left to hangout with my friends at Cane's. We talked for hours and it was nice to get out, but then we left. I got in my car and drove home.

She gets in her car, drives home, opens her door,goes upstairs, and into her moms bathroom.

I went into my house and saw

Frankie begins to cry

her on her bathroom floor. She had shot herself. There was... there was blood everywhere.

Dr. Bryant and Frankie begin to cry together

She was so miserable... that she shot herself in the head. She didn't even leave a note.

Frankie walking into the bathroom, screaming, and crying. She picks up her mom and holds her... just screaming and crying.

BACK TO PRESENT:
INT. HIGH SCHOOL - DAY

Frankie covers her face and just cries. Dr. Bryant walks over to Frankie and holds her while she cries.

DR. BRYANT

You know that wasn't your fault!

FRANKIE

Don't tell me that! That line that therapists have to say to make the victim feel a little less suicidal, but trust me it doesn't help. I know it's my fault. She even said so.

FLASHBACK
INT. HOUSE-LATE AFTERNOON

Frankie on the phone after she found her mother.

VOICEOVER

FRANKIE

I called the police, telling them that I just found my mother in her bathroom. After I got off the phone with them... I had to call my dad. My dad who hadn't been home in two weeks. Two god damn weeks. I had to tell him that the love of his life shot herself in the head because she was so sad. She was sad for no reason. She just hated her damn life. Hated her own daughter.

Frankie on the phone crying

You know what he told me?...
He asked what I did? I still hear his voice yelling, " Frankie what did you do? What did you do to her?!" (Frankie mimicking her father)

Frankie drops the phone and drops to the ground, crying even more severely.

BACK TO PRESENT
INT. HIGH SCHOOL-DAY

FRANKIE

To tell you the truth... I still ask myself... What the f*** did I do. And I know the answer. I was selfish, a horrid daughter, I made her sad. I made her shoot herself. My own father agrees. After he came back home... he became an abusive alcoholic...

DR. BRYANT

Abusive?

Frankie gets up and lifts her shirt revealing a massive bruise on her ribs.

FRANKIE

Yes. Abusive.

Dr. Bryant's face drops

DR. BRYANT

Sexually?

FRANKIE

He wouldn't dare

DR. BRYANT

Good. Continue?

FRANKIE

There isn't much else. My mother killed herself. I found her. My dad blames me. I blame myself. and I get hit on a daily basis.

Short flashes of each event, while she says it.

What else do you want to know?

BACK TO THE PRESENT
INT. HIGH SCHOOL-LATE AFTERNOON

DR. BRYANT

How do you feel?

FRANKIE

I feel empty... No happiness, no fear, just hurt and sadness. If I died today. No one would care. It would come over the loud speaker " Students, We regret to inform everyone that Frankie Ross has passed away." And no one would cry, no one would take a second thought except to ask, " I that the chick who punched Kyle Bryant in the face?"

DR. BRYANT

No! That isn't true! You just need to go home, stand up for yourself, get emancipated, get a job, finish high school with the grades you know you are capable of, and turn your life around! Like I know you can! Be happy and fix it for yourself!

Frankie holds her head low.

FRANKIE

My dad will hate the idea and won't let it happen...

Dr. Bryant walks over to Frankie and lifts her head

DR. BRYANT

Hey! look. You just have to stand up for yourself! fight for your happiness, okay? And I'll see you tomorrow! And I'll help you out any way I can! okay?

Frankie smiles in confidence

FRANKIE

Okay Doctor D.

She picks up her book bag

I can do that!

DR. BRYANT

Okay Frankie.

The Doctor pulls her in for a hug

You will be happy. I know it!

FRANKIE

Thanks for having hope in me! Goodbye Doctor D.

DR. BRYANT

Bye Frankie. See you tomorrow!

FRANKIE

Goodbye.

Frankie leaves the doctors office with a smile on her face, leaves the school as confident as ever. Gets on the bus and says hello to the driver. Walks up to her home. Opens the door

FRANKIE

Dad??

The screen goes black

The screen comes back to the school. The halls roaming with teachers and teens. Then the loud speaker comes on

PRINCIPAL FRANKLIN

Students,

No one stops to listen.

We regret to inform you that Frankie Ross has passed away.

A jock nudges his friend

JOCK

Hey. Isn't that the chick who punched Kyle Bryant in the face?

THE FRIEND

I don't know, maybe

VOICEOVER

FRANKIE ROSS

Funny how right you can be sometimes.