Little Princess | Teen Ink

Little Princess

Little Princess

Character List

DANIEL TRENT: mid-thirties father
KELSEY TRENT: eight year old daughter of DANIEL.

SCREENPLAY FOR LITTLE PRINCESS

EXT. SIDEWALK-MORNING

A man in his mid-30s is walking down a sidewalk with a flower and a letter in his hand with a huge grin on his face.

VOICE OVER

DANIEL TRENT

Dear Baby Girl,

It's been three months and this would be my thirteenth letter, and I've figured something, life is what you make it. Live with hate in your heart, you will hate your life. Same goes for sadness, happiness, anger, etc. You can't just live your life expecting things to happen for you and you not do anything! I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live, but darling I'm finally learning how to live. How to live without you and without your mother. It's taken so long for me to figure this out, but I'm not going to waste anymore time. I'm going to start living! Living this life that is half over.

Daniel pauses on the side of the sidewalk. His smile more forced than before.

VOICEOVER CONTINUES
DANIEL TRENT

But before I can. Before I can pretend like everything is fine and live "happily", I need to get somethings off my chest. First off. I've decided that I don't think everything happens for a reason. I don't think you being taken from me had a purpose. It destroyed me. It still destroys me! The love of my life was taken from me and then my little girl was taken from me. My eight year old babygirl was ripped away from me! That had no purpose for anyone. You were my everything, your mom got into the car accident and passed away... and you became my everything. Just because I don't believe in "God", that doesn't mean I wouldn't love for things to have reasons for why they are. I still want answers but I know that won't happen. Second. Yes, I was under a lot of stress but having you on this earth a bit longer made it all okay. Made my life have a purpose. I still remember the day that you walked into the kitchen at midnight.
FLASHBACK
INT. KITCHEN-NIGHT
Daniel at the Kitchen table crying with bills laying out in front of him. Kelsey walks in.

VOICEOVER

DANIEL TRENT

I was at the table paying bills, trying to think how I was going to pay the bills, how I was going to keep you feed and healthy. You saw my face. You saw the tears rolling down my face and you just walked over to me and wiped my tears away. You put your little arms around me and squeezed. All you said was,

KELSEY TRENT

Dad. I don't like seeing you this way. You should be happy and you should smile all the time!

VOICE OVER
DANIEL TRENT

and all I could mutter out was a lie

OUT OF VOICEOVER
DANIEL TRENT

I am happy my little princess.

VOICEOVER
DANIEL TRENT

but you knew. You knew I was lying

KELSEY TRENT
Daddy, you're lying to me! Promise me? Promise me that you'll be happy!

Daniel nodded in agreement

DANIEL TRENT
I promise princess.
BACK TO PRESENT
EXT. PARK- MORNING
Daniel continuing to walk towards his destination.

VOICEOVER
DANIEL TRENT

I remember that night so perfectly. I mostly remember you turning around after I promised you. Do you remember? You turned around and asked what was going to happen to you when you left this earth. Do you remember what I told you, honey? I told you that you would see darkness but soon after a light, I told you that you would see your mother with open arms. You would run into her arms and feel peace. No pain, no fear, no sadness, just warmth and happiness. You wouldn't miss a thing. and do you remember what you told me? You turned around and said
FLASHBACK
INT. KITCHEN-NIGHT
Kelsey looking at her father in the doorway.

KELSEY TRENT

That's not true daddy... that's not true at all. I will miss you! I will miss you more than anything and anyone! I will miss you calling me your little princess daddy. and soon you'll forget me and I won't be your little princess anymore daddy.

Tears start to roll down her face.

Please don't forget me daddy!

DANIEL TRENT

I could never forget you my sweet girl. I could never forget you.

Daniel takes her into his arms and cries along with her. But after awhile she falls asleep and Daniel brings her to bed.

BACK TO PRESENT

EXT. GRAVEYARD-MORNING

Daniel walks up to a gravestone that says

Kelsey Trent
2005 - 2013
Daddy's little princess
"You can't love anyone more than someone you miss"

VOICEOVER

DANIEL TRENT

And third off. Kelsey. I want you to know that I kept my promise. I'm smiling. Everyday. I'm smiling for you. For my little princess.

Daniel bends down, traces Kelsey's name in the granite, and puts
the letter next to dozens of others. He sniffs the single flower sets it down on top of the letters.

OUT OF VOICEOVER

DANIEL TRENT

Goodbye my little princess. You will never be forgotten. You will always be daddy's little princess.

THE END.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

Beautifully written!  So sad, so touching, so real. Great job, whoever you are, seriously :)  Keep it up! :)