Romeo And Juliet: A High School Drama

Act I

[ROMEO is walking down a hallway when he hears loud scuffling noises]

ROMEO: Oh no! Are my dad and the principal fighting again? Those two just hate each other.

[ROMEO’s dad, the janitor, and the staff throw tests at the principal and the students. Then, BENVOLIO comes and taps ROMEO on the back.]

ROMEO: Hey buddy Ben! (they fist pump) Look at this. (ROMEO indicates the fight). Should I help them?

BENVOLIO: Nah. Actually bro, I found you a girl.

ROMEO: Really?

BENVOLIO: Yeah, she’s hot. She’s called Rosaline. She’s in the cafeteria. C’mon.

[ROMEO and BENVOLIO walk to the cafeteria, crouching behind the trash cans.]

ROMEO: Wow… she is hot. Well, here goes nothing.

[ROMEO boldly steps from behind trash can and awkwardly confronts ROSALINE.]

ROMEO: Rosaline, will you go out with me?

ROSALINE: Uh…who are you?

[ROSALINE exits quickly.]

ROMEO: Aw, shucks.

[BENVOLIO steps out from behind trash can]

BENVOLIO: It’s okay, man. They’re plenty of other girls at the dance tonight[w1] .

[ROMEO thinks about this. BENVOLIO sees Romeo’s hesitation.]

BENVOLIO: Rosalie will be there…

ROMEO: Okay then!

Act II

[CAPULET, the principal, who is also Juliet’s dad, is seen picking up erasers. He sighs.]

CAPULET: Juliet needs a boyfriend to improve those D’s she has. Hmmm. (CAPULET looks around, sees a random guy) That nerd over there, PARIS, he looks pretty smart, and he’s the son of the math teacher, so he’ll be on my side against that annoying janitor.

[CAPULET walks to PARIS]

CAPULET: Paris, I think you are the perfect match for my daughter.

PARIS: Me? Her? Isn’t she a little young…

CAPULET: No one else will love you.

PARIS: Okay then. When can I meet her?

CAPULET: How about at the dance tonight?

[JULIET is talking into the recording device, chin down, making her eyes look really big. She’s standing in a room filled with lots of dancing high school students and pop music.]

JULIET: OMG! Is this recording? Okay. Okay. So. Hi guys! This is Juliet, but you can call me Julie. Julie’s so much cooler, don’t you think?

[high pitched squeals of laughter]

JULIET: Anyways. I’m at the high school dance. I’m not in high school yet, but Daddy said that he’ll let me go ‘cause I’m his special Julie. Isn’t that great?

[From far away, ROMEO is seen, camera zooms in on him. ROMEO is walking toward ROSALINE.]

ROMEO: Rosaline! (ROSALINE doesn’t hear. ROMEO trips, looks up, sees Juliet. He sees cliché hearts around JULIET in his mind. He immediately forgets about ROSALINE. He mutters to himself.) Whoa … who is she?

[JULIET sees ROMEO looking at her.]

JULIET: (thinking) O.M.G. Romeo. Is SO. Hot! Like, OMG!!!!! And cute. Did I mention hot?

[ROMEO and JULIET kiss, music plays, hopefully David Archuleta]

Random person: Ewww.

Random Person 2: How old is she?

[Random high school students start to loudly converse, Paris pushes his way through]

PARIS: WAIT! (he frantically waves his arms) What are you doing?! What’s happening? (Points at ROMEO) That’s my girlfriend.

JULIET: what?

PARIS: Uh.. never mind. The point is, you’re the janitor’s son!

Random person: GASP!

Random person 2: He smells like trash!

[Random people start to converse again.]

PARIS: No, no no! Julie’s dad is the Principal!

Random person: What? She must be rich.

Random person 2: So that’s why she’s at this high school dance!

PARIS: SHUT UP, ALL OF YOU. We are on the principal’s side! Juliet can’t kiss him! He hired me to do that!

[Everyone looks very confused.]

ROMEO: (seizes chance.) So… you’re JULIET?

JULIET: Julie.

[PARIS knocks ROMEO to the ground, and ROMEO is knocked unconscious. JULIET, screaming like crazy, thinks ROMEO is dead. She is so upset she immediately takes a tranquillizer and also falls asleep. ROMEO wakes, sees JULIET.]

ROMEO: Is Julie dead? My life is over. I can’t live without her.

Random person: You met her for three seconds…

BENVOLIO: (appears out of nowhere) True love, folks.

[CAPULET and the janitor appear]

CAPULET and the janitor in unison: What are you doing?

[Awkward silence, as ROMEO is standing over a sleeping JULIET.]

CAPULET: (quavering in anger) YOU (points to ROMEO) are transferring to some mental school[w2] !

ROMEO: (being dragged away) Julie, I’ll find you one day, even if I’m in a weird school.

JULIET: (wakes up) No! Wait! Where is he going?

ROMEO: (reaching out to Juliette dramatically) I’ll wait for you!

Random person: Isn’t Julie supposed to say that?

Random person 2: Oh well.

The End.

Priya said...
today at 4:17 pm
Insightful ! Great writing !
Il Bon Doktor said...
today at 4:11 pm
Awesome! Full of hope and a bright future
Swim4Him24 said...
Jan. 17 at 5:30 pm
I love this!!
Ali Mikhas said...
Dec. 21, 2015 at 5:57 am
I find this article very helpful as I wonder why the government tells the public that marijuana is dangerous but yet I see most government officials get involved in drug business... This got me wondering if marijuana is really dangerous or is there more to it that the public are not aware of... I'm not a smoker or a fan of hard drug, I just want to be enlightened and yes this article gave me a "heads up"...
peekah said...
Jun. 9, 2015 at 7:55 am
this is awesome! I'm teaching drama to teenagers at a summer camp in Russia, and am looking for short plays we can learn in a week. Would it be alright if we used your play here? I don't think we can pay you, but we'll definitely give you credit for writing it
ClairoQ replied...
Jun. 23, 2015 at 12:11 am
Of course! I'm really flattered that you would want to use something that I wrote over 2 years ago, and I'd love to see it actually acted out!
RedRose17 said...
Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:05 am
amazing and funny loved it!
Dannim76 said...
I love this! :)
N_Ox_x said...
Great job! Please write more!