The Estate | Teen Ink

The Estate

Characters
Mr. Cardor~ head butler
Mr. Peterson~ Owner of the estate
Mrs. Rosalie~ a higher up maid
Mr. Reed~ The vistor

(The Scene takes place in MR. Petersons library located in the estate. The doorbell rings, Mrs. Rosalie answers the door, and Mr. Reed walks right in wearing a navy blue pea coat.)

MRS. ROSALIE
What on earth do you think you are doing walking into this house like that? Do you have no manners at all?

MR. REED
I have come from travolta, looking from Mr. Cardor, Now where is he?

MRS. ROSALIE
You still haven't named your purpose for being here?

Mr. REED
My purpose is none of yours now where is Mr. Cardor, as soon as i speak with him i will be on my way, and you have little to no authority here, you are just a silly little house maid.

MRS. ROSALIE
More authority than you, and by the looks of your coat, it's in need of a washing, which in any lordship household, your personal valet would have never let you walk out of the house like that.

(Mr. Peterson enters the room.)
MR. PETERSON
Mrs. Rosalie who is this, and why have i not been informed that we have a visitor?

MRS. ROSALIE
I’m sorry your lordship Mr Peterson, my apologizes but he wishes to see Mr. Cardor.

MR. PETERSON
Then why is Mr. Cardor not here or being fetched?

MRS. ROSALIE
Your lordship you let the help out for the morning after you served you your morning tea.

MR. REED
Mr. Cardor is out, then i must wait, thus is very very important and i must reach him today.

MR. PETERSON
If its so important then you must tell me.

MR. REED
I really must wait, and i will stay here until he gets here, and if one of your dare to touch me i will tell everyone about what a mockery your estate really is.

MR. PETERSON
Rosalie, quickly go and get Mr. Cardor from town. (Rosalie exists the room)
How do you know our secret\

MR. REED
It isn't really that hard to figure out, but coming from your estate makes it just that much worse.

MR. PETERSON
Question after question you keep getting asked you won't answer one damn one! (He screams)

MR. REED

Don't yell at the one, who knows your estates secrets, you really wouldn't want this getting out?

MR. PETERSON
all i ask of you is to answer one question, what do you know?

MR. REED
But that all comes with a price.

Mr. PETERSON
What kind of con are you, coming into my estate and try to ruin me, and my family, you're just a filthy swine.

(The door opens and Rosalie, and MR. Cardor enters, wearing a black blazer with a white oxford underneath)

MR. CARDOR
What is he doing here? How did you find me?

MR. PETERSON
Cardor you know this man?

MR. CARDOR
unfortunately (signs)
MR. REED
I thought you would be nothing but excited to see me, we use to be practically brothers, only 20 years ago, unless this life rubbed off on you.

MR. CARDOR
We were not brothers, and you know it.
MR. PETERSON
How do you know this man Cardor, you will tell me now!

MR. REED
Yes tell him Cardor

MR. CARDOR
Don't think none the less of me mr. peterson, i have changed. twenty years ago me and mr. reed use to be part of this singing douet the singing chimney sweepers of manhattan.
MR. PETERSON
Wells why is he here?

MR. REED
Cardor told me that he will always have my back, and i have gotten myself into a little pickle with the authority’s and i am unable to return to my home, i need some cash to get myself back to states to start a new life.

MR. CARDOR
I'm sorry Mr. Peterson that hes here its my problem, and if i could have six month payment, he will be on his way.

MR. PETERSON
That won't be necessary Cardor, (turns to mr. reed) now i will give you 100 pounds and you will be on your way, and i mustn't ever see your face around here again or i will report you to the authorities.

MR. REED.
120 pounds.

MR. PETERSON
Would you rather have me call authorities now? and make this that much easier?

MR. REED
I was just testing my luck i guess, now pay up.
MR. PETERSON

(Dug into his front coat pocket and grabbed a small bag and threw it at Mr. Reed)
There you go now get.

(Mr. Reed left from the library and out the front door).

MR. CARDOR
I’m sorry your lordship, i will go back my bags.

MR. PETERSON
That won't be needed, just this mustn't happen again, and Rosalie, you will not tell any of the other help.

Mrs. ROSALIE
I would never Mr. Peterson