Clouds in my Head

One of the things I like to do is go on my roof and look at the clouds. I always thought of them as the thoughts of the sky or something like that, because you can't touch them. Maybe that's because my thoughts feel like clouds sometimes, fluffy and white and slow, like the sky is in my mind and my mind is in the sky. The sky of my mind. You know the sky is so big that if you close your eyes and think of it, you won't be able to think of anything else until you stop. It's like it's magic.
(pause)
Except it's not. When you get down to it, clouds are water. Not even water actually, just ice and vapor and dust that we give meaning and form to in the sky of our mind. You know they say that every drop of water in the world was or will be part of a cloud. Every drop of tears and sweat and blood that comes out of you will be a cloud. All the water in your body too, it goes up there sometime after you die. It might take a while though.

I think that may be why I like looking at clouds, they make me feel connected to people, which is something I think I'm not very good at otherwise. Almost like I'm among all the people in the world and we're happy just to be together. And then there's a gust of wind and the cloud is gone, like it was never there, like this not even real.
It is real though. I mean if you think about it, nothing lasts that long. Even something like my life or yours is gone in the blink of an eye, cosmically speaking. And while we're here we try so hard to make sure we can be seen and to be interesting enough that we are willing to let other people shape us into what they want us to be in the sky of their mind.

I think I'm gonna go sit on the roof

In_Love_with_Writing said...
Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:31 am:
Really nice job! I loved it! Can you comment and rate some of my work? I would appreciate it :)

ImeldaBlackheart said...
This was great! I'm usually not so great at monolouges, but I said this outloud and I got a few comments from my friends like, "Wow, what novel are you reading off of?" or, "Which person said that again?" This was so cool! I hope you don't mind if I use it sometime in the future :)

Davidson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm :
I don't mind at all man, just give credit where credit is due

WhenItRains21 said...
This was absolutely amazing! If I had to make any critques, it would be the last line. Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit abrupt. I love the line itself, but it just doesn't seem to connect with the previous paragraph. Other than that though, I think it's wonderful!

MissInkslinger said...
I really like this, especially the line "When you get down to it, clouds are water. Not even water actually, just ice and vapor and dust that we give meaning and form to in the sky of our mind." I've tried to write about clouds like this, but it's so difficult so I'm very impressed. It is also well-written, but I'm mainly in love with the message.

Snowflakes said...
Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:39 am:
Wow! I absolutely love this! It is so creative, I've never thought of the idea of being a cloud before haha, it's amazing and will give me a completely different outlook everytime I look at the sky! 
I found your writing very deep and personal, which made it even better, so well done :D 

sweetangel4lifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is really well written. it made me sit and think as i was reading it. i can imgine a situation where thee love of some woman's life picks p a recorder and hits play to hear her voice say this. i can see the reordings as a spoen diary. i dont know that just me creating stories around plays. some background ifo. keep writing!!!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved how you commpared people and thoughts to clouds. I never really thought of them like that before. This was very new and refreshing. I like it ^_^

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm :
I love how you took the metaphor into greater depth, discussing the literal and figurative aspects of it. Great job!

elites5 replied...
Oct. 28, 2012 at 2:31 am :
I loved the comparison of clouds to people I makes you think. Can u check out some of my work? :)

Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:59 am :
No problem. Any in particular?