Clouds in my Head | Teen Ink

Clouds in my Head

October 18, 2012
By Davidson SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
Davidson SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

One of the things I like to do is go on my roof and look at the clouds. I always thought of them as the thoughts of the sky or something like that, because you can't touch them. Maybe that's because my thoughts feel like clouds sometimes, fluffy and white and slow, like the sky is in my mind and my mind is in the sky. The sky of my mind. You know the sky is so big that if you close your eyes and think of it, you won't be able to think of anything else until you stop. It's like it's magic.
(pause)
Except it's not. When you get down to it, clouds are water. Not even water actually, just ice and vapor and dust that we give meaning and form to in the sky of our mind. You know they say that every drop of water in the world was or will be part of a cloud. Every drop of tears and sweat and blood that comes out of you will be a cloud. All the water in your body too, it goes up there sometime after you die. It might take a while though.

I think that may be why I like looking at clouds, they make me feel connected to people, which is something I think I'm not very good at otherwise. Almost like I'm among all the people in the world and we're happy just to be together. And then there's a gust of wind and the cloud is gone, like it was never there, like this not even real.
It is real though. I mean if you think about it, nothing lasts that long. Even something like my life or yours is gone in the blink of an eye, cosmically speaking. And while we're here we try so hard to make sure we can be seen and to be interesting enough that we are willing to let other people shape us into what they want us to be in the sky of their mind.


I think I'm gonna go sit on the roof


The author's comments:
This is a piece inspired by the work Katawa Shoujo. It is meant to be preformed as a monolouge