Setting Priorities: Rachel & Laura | Teen Ink

Setting Priorities: Rachel & Laura

June 25, 2012
By PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
...understand that the heart is as vast and wide as the universe, but that we come to know love best from here, this place of gravity and stability, where our feet can still touch ground.


Laura (mutters to herself): Okay, I can do this. Just go talk to her. Gosh, I feel so guilty!
(walks towards Rachel’s locker). Rachel… hey.

Rachel (turns around and looks at Laura; speaks with no emotion): What is it?

Laura: Rachel… I—I’m sorry about yesterday.

Rachel (sighs and pretends to find something in her locker): Why are you apologizing? It’s done, over with. If that’s all you have to say then, I have to go to my next class.

Laura: Rachel, wait! I’m really sorry! I shouldn’t have joined in with them. I shouldn’t have clapped along. It’s just that I thought they were after me, but when I found out their mean intentions weren’t towards me, I was beyond relieved. Then, Diana actually talked to me!

Rachel: So, when you found out they were picking on me and not you, you were relieved? You care so much about popularity, don’t you? I actually thought you were different. I thought you believed in civil rights, that discrimination was wrong. I liked your speeches and writings because you spoke and wrote about what was right and what you cared about. You could express all your feelings into your writing. I guess, though, that what you write and how you act are two different things.

Laura (angry and impulsive): I didn’t want to be your friend, anyway! (claps hand over her mouth) I didn’t mean that!

Rachel: Of course you meant that. Who would want to be friends with me? I’m the loser, the weirdo. If you just came here to tell me this then, I should get to class.

Laura: Rachel, don’t, I’m not done, yet. I am so sorry—

Rachel: Laura, what exactly are you sorry for?

Laura: You know, Rachel; but, I’ll have to say it, won’t I? I’m sorry for clapping with Diana and her friends yesterday, when you were giving your speech on seashells. I’m sorry for making fun of you. I’m sorry for feeling relieved that you were being picked on instead of me. I’m sorry.

Rachel: …You do know that “sorry” doesn’t do anything. Like I said before, what’s done is done. Let’s forget it.

Laura: But, I shouldn’t have done that!

Rachel: What do you want, Laura?! I’m saying let’s forget it happened. Isn’t that enough?

Laura: I—I want forgiveness. From you.

Rachel (sighs): I’m sorry. I can’t give you that, not now. I don’t know when, if ever, I could forgive you. You hurt me more than Diana ever could. I always knew that Diana would never be my friend, that she would bully me. But you, you! I thought you were my friend. I felt betrayed; I trusted you. I saw that you weren’t with the “in-crowd”, either, so I assumed you were above that. I admired you, and you turned that trust and admiration into bitter contempt.

You may think that you know how it feels to be bullied, but you don’t. I can see now how much you want to be popular and yet, you are so afraid of the popular kids. You cower everyday when they cross your path, yet when they pass, you look up wistfully, wishing you were them.

Laura: Rachel, I—I…

Rachel: What? You can’t say anything because you know what I said was true. I’m not as dim-witted as you think I am. I may not write fascinating speeches and papers like you, but I can achieve in other categories. And I can see people for who they really are. Or maybe only you. I don’t really want to talk to you anymore. I have to get to class. Good-bye. (shuts her locker door, signifying the end of the conversation)

(The bell dings and everyone rushes into their classrooms, leaving Laura alone in the hallway.)


The author's comments:
This was an English assignment. We had read a short story during the Setting Priorities unit. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of this short story. Anyway, this is what I thought could have happened the next day at school.