Aftermath | Teen Ink

Aftermath

By ABove SILVER, Hollister, California
ABove SILVER, Hollister, California

Man awakes. He looks around the hospital room confused and frantic. He has no recollection of how he got there; he begins to panic, setting off his heart rate monitor and causing the nurse to rush in.
-ENTER NURSE-
NURSE: Whoa! Simmer down hun. You're okay.
MAN: *Distraught and scared* What happened to me?
NURSE:*Comforting* Honey-- you don't remember?-- You were in a car accident.
MAN:*Shocked and in disbelief* What?!-- Where's my wife?!
NURSE:*slightly hesitant* Let me get the doctor. *comforting, yet fake smile appears on her face*
MAN: Wait! Please, tell me!
*Nurse holds up her finger symbolizing one moment*
-EXIT NURSE-

Man begins to check his wounds in anticipation of the doctor

-ENTER DOCTOR-
MAN:*Demanding* Where is she?
DOCTOR:*Trying to gain his composure* She's-- she's, uhh, she's in an induced coma

Man's face drops as the news hits him.

MAN: Oh my god...
DOCTOR: It's miraculous that you're even alive. You lost a lot of blood-- so much so that you yourself slipped into a brief coma.
MAN:*Verge of tears* What? How did this happen?-- How is she?-- Please doctor, I need answers.
DOCTOR:*Taking a deep breath* You were, uh, drinking and driving. You lost control of the wheel and hit a tree head on-- The first ones on the scene thought you were both... dead.-- Like I said, it's miraculous you both survived.
MAN:*Angrily* Wait--I was the one who did this? I'm the reason my wife's life is in jeopardy?
DOCTOR:*Consoling* Calm down. Just have faith she makes it(a warm grin emerges on his face as he says this)-- Don't waste your energy blaming yourself, you really should be hoping and praying for her.-- This could've happened to anyone.

Man slowly breaks down into tears

MAN:*Choked up* I just need an answer doctor.-- Will she make it?
DOCTOR: I don't... I don't know.-- It's impossible to determine at this time. She's being worked on and I can assure you our staff is doing the best it can.
MAN:*Sternly* Tell me.
DOCTOR:*With up-most sorrow* It's-- it's not likely she'll ever wake up from the coma.-- We had to induce her and put her on life support. She would've been dead if we hadn't.

Man looks away with tears of angers building in his eyes.

MAN: So what's going to happen to me?
DOCTOR: Hm?
MAN:--Am I going to be arrested?
Doctor: *struggling to get any words out* I... I...
MAN:*Disheartened* Oh, I see-- when?
DOCTOR:*Sympathetically* Whenever you're cleared for release.
MAN: Is there something else?
DOCTOR:-- What're you implying?
MAN: Is there something else you're not telling me?-- You've been in hesitant in answering my questions so far.
DOCTOR:Well-- there is one more thing...

The man's face hardens as if the situation couldn't get any worse
MAN: Well?
DOCTOR: There was three of you in the car...
MAN:*Baffled* Who?!
DOCTOR: She was pregnant..

Man lowers head in shame as tears swell his eyes

MAN:*Shaky, holding back the tears* You know doctor-- there's moments in life where you wish you were dead.-- Right now isn't one of them.
DOCTOR: Pardon?
MAN: Death would be too easy of an out-- I deserve a fate worse than death.
DOCTOR: Don't talk like that-- this could've happened to anyone.
MAN: I've killed my wife and unborn child-- I'll go to jail for a couple years, but that isn't the real punishment.-- The real punishment is every time I see another woman, I'll see her.-- Every time I see a child, I'll see a ghost.-- Every morning I'll wake up and remember.-- I'll remember that the reason I'm alone is because I'm a murderer-- That, that is a fate worse than death.

Doctor slowly starts to look down at his feet, then back up at the man. Then exits.

disneyfrump BRONZE, Oswego IL, Illinois
Whooaa... That ending is, creepy I guess? I wonder what it would be like if the man wasn't so angry with himself?