DIAL DRUNK - Inspired by the song by Noah Kahan | Teen Ink

DIAL DRUNK - Inspired by the song by Noah Kahan

July 26, 2023
By Luciivly BRONZE, Helensburgh, Other
Luciivly BRONZE, Helensburgh, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.


SCENE: Lucy is in a hospital bed, she has been fighting and is severely injured. After being arrested, Lucy’s emergency number is called, which is Diane. Diane doesn’t answer and visits Lucy in the hospital to provide an explanation:


LUCY

You never answered me, you never gave me a minute. I was dying, diane- dying. You never thought to answer the phone for once?


DIANE

You were drunk, you’re always drunk.


LUCY

I was drunk, but I was dying. I have had enough of people policing me; I have had enough of you all thinking you know me and not giving me or my life a second thought- letting me explain myself or prove who I really am.


DIANE

Do you think I haven’t given you a chance? I’ve given you too many to count, Lucy. Every day I used to wake up and wonder if you were safe, if you had kept yourself safe. Don’t say I don’t care- or I have counted you out, when every damn moment was about you. Don’t say that I am a bad friend for not answering the phone when you need me, because I have answered the phone too many goddamn times. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn’t.


LUCY

I called you 10 times; you knew I was in trouble. You didn’t have to save my life, you needed to be there for me. I have kept myself safe for no one but you, and as soon as you don’t care- what have I got to live for?


DIANE

I do care.

 

LUCY
Do you, do you really?


DIANE

You can’t make me out to be the villain Lucy, I am not responsible for your life.


LUCY

I’m not saying that.


DIANE

You were fighting alright? You are getting into fights every day. What am I supposed to do? Follow you around like some bloody mother? I want nothing to do with you, you hear me, nothing. You weren’t dying, you were fighting, Lucy. Drinking and fighting. Don’t sit here telling me I am what you live for, don’t put that on me. Ruin your life; I don’t care. You’re sucking everyone into your black hole- you think I want that?


LUCY

I just want to be loved, Diane- I want you to love me. That’s all I ever wanted.


DIANE

I’m leaving, Lucy. I hope you can get the help you need.


The author's comments:

Lucy and Diane have been in a toxic relationship. First as friends and then as lovers. Lucy has been abusing alcohol and doesn't understand why Diane won't help her.

 

This song is inspired by DIAL DRUNK by Noah Kahan - giving it a listen will allow this scene to fully be understood, and maybe looked at in a different light.