A Mother’s Love, A Mother’s Sin | Teen Ink

A Mother’s Love, A Mother’s Sin

By DemeterWinkel BRONZE, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
DemeterWinkel BRONZE, Cleveland Heights, Ohio

A Mother’s Love, A Mother’s Sin

Time and Scene: The most luxurious room of an inn, complete with a lavish bed, and a crib beside it. Windows are closed, doors are locked, preventing anyone from viewing the inside of the room. Queen Kassandra has been overthrown, and is now taking shelter at the inn, until her loyal knight Tanred can find a smuggler who will get her out of the country. Queen Kassandra leans over the crib, observing her child, Princess Phoibe. Tanred stands at her side, keeping watch.

Queen Kassandra: How horrible must they be, to cast me out like I am some common thief? I brought the kingdom prosperity, I brought them wonders, and this is how I am repaid? Hiding away with my daughter, fearing for her life? They wouldn’t even spare her, my light, my daughter! 

Tanred: I cannot begin to fathom what madness must grip your people, that they would attack their gracious queen, her who brought them from anonymity! I am ashamed that my brothers, your loyal guards, are loyal no more. None have followed, My Queen, it seems it is us, and us alone. I fear that it will be necessary to flee, I am no match against the might of the knights, combined in their power!

Queen Kassandra: Nor would I expect you to be Tanred. I fear you are right, we must leave, our allies will house us, surely. I fear no moral sailor would take such a heavy load. Tanred, I intend no disrespect, but if I am correct, you are familiar with the less respectable sailors of the port?

Tanred: Indeed I am My Queen. I spent my younger years on these docks, and I do not doubt that I could find old acquaintances, and beg a favor of them. If they have any goodness left in their souls, they will not refuse the request.

Queen Kassandra: You will not beg a favor of them, Tanred, you will inform them of the payment. My coffers are no longer accessible, but I have my jewels. They will meet the requirements of these acquaintances, I am sure. If they are not swayed by the mention of gems, do mention the value of said gems. With caution, of course, there is no need for them to know of my identity.

Tanred: Of course, My Queen, I am at your service. If you permit me, I will begin to search this instant. I feel that it would be unwise to remain in these borders for longer than absolutely necessary. The longer we remain, the likelier the knights are to find our trail.

Queen Kassandra: I agree, Tanred. Before you set out, I must make another request of you. If any of these sailors declare the risk too great for too little reward, I ask of you, to propose another bargain. If they are agreeable, for the jewels, they will transport my daughter to an appropriate ally, whichever they will sail to, and I will remain.

Tanred: My Queen, I must protest! Your safety is paramount, and it is not even an option to leave you here, to be discovered by the usurpers! I will sacrifice what I must, even my sword, but you cannot remain, I beg you!

Queen Kassandra: I will not hear any argument on the matter! I am fully aware of what will happen if I remain! If I must, to allow my daughter a way out, then I will stay, and suffer the consequences again and again! As of now, Tanred, your highest priority is securing my daughter an exit! No harm will befall Princess Phoibe, she will remain safe, even if the cost is both of our lives! Is that understood, Sir Knight?

Tanred: Of course, My Queen. I apologize for my abrupt outburst, and departure, but as I have mentioned, it is paramount that I begin my search. I will return with a sailor, or I will not return at all. I will knock three times, no more, no less. If there is a different knock, even if you hear my voice, I urge you to bolt the door, or flee, as I will have been discovered.

Queen Kassandra: I understand Tanred, and I thank you. You remained loyal, protected me and my daughter at the cost of your life, and I wish I could reward you. I wish you good luck on your search, for all of our sakes.

Tanred: I need no reward, My Queen, it is enough to see you and the Princess safe.

Tanred exists through the inn door, shielding his sword as he does so. Once he has left, Queen Kassandra secures the door, before returning to the crib of Princess Phoibe, who has begun to fuss.

Queen Kassandra: Hush, my dear daughter, you will have the comfort you are entitled soon. Cry as you wish, I will be here. I am a gracious Queen, I give what the people are entitled. I give what should be given. As a Queen, I can give you what you deserve. I can give you the softest blankets, cribs made by the finest craftsmen, and fresh meals. As a Queen, I can give you what you deserve as a Princess. As a mother, I can give you the love you deserve. My Queendom means nothing, I would have forsaken it myself if you had wished it. My riches mean nothing, I would throw them into the unforgiving sea if it made you happy. As a mother, I can give you the love you deserve as a daughter. I regret, my dear light, that I am unable to give you what you deserve, as the most precious gift I have ever received. I am unable to give you the stars, so that you may delight at their light, ponder their origin. I cannot gift you the light, my dear child, but I would. I swear to you, I would give you the stars.

Queen Kassandra cradles her child, sitting on the bed. Three knocks are heard, and she gently sets the child back down, before regretfully moving away. She opens the door to reveal Tanred, who has returned with an elf, clothed in dirty sailor’s attire.

Tanred: I have returned Milady, with an old acquaintance from my past. May I introduce you to Arthrisan, a sailor well acquainted with most ports across the world. He is more than capable of the task we beg of him.

Arthrisan: What’s this, an acquaintance? We were the best of friends, I mentored you! Your skill with that sword is my doing, boy, and I won’t hear otherwise!

Tanred: Of course, my apologies. Arthrisan tutored me in the art of the sword, he is responsible for a good portion of my current skill. 

Arthrisan: The art of the sword? You’ve gotten quite high and mighty, haven’t you? I didn’t teach you no art, I taught you how to cut down any of those godsdamned bandits that try to rough you up!

Tanred: The art of the sword is a combination of etiquette and brutali-

Queen Kassandra: It is a pleasure, Arthrisan. I have no doubt that you taught Tanred here, and if any of his current abilities are due to your teachings, I am sure that you are up for the task. Might I ask, what has Tanred informed you about said task?

Arthrisan: He told me that three people need out, didn’t he? I suppose that’s you and the youngin, and my boy Tanred here! I gotta say, you don’t seem like the type who’d hide in my ship! In trouble, are ya?

Arthrisan sits down in a chair. Queen Kassandra restrains herself from flinching at the dirtying of the chair, or commenting on the filth of his clothing. 

Queen Kassandra: With all due respect, Arthrisan, I was under the impression that those of you who ‘escort’ others out of the country, aren’t in the business of inquiring why their clientele are traveling.

Arthrisan: Too right, miss! It was worth a shot anyways! I don’t have many clients pay in jewels, now do I! Nor do I have any who are staying in a room like this! My clients are less, well, rich. So, to business! Three people out of the country! How soon do you need out?

Queen Kassandra: We need to be away from these borders as soon as possible. Considering Tanred’s comments on the business here, I suppose it wouldn’t be an issue to ferry us tonight? As Tanred has already mentioned, you will be compensated handsomely for your efforts.

Arthrisan: Tonight! See here, my clients know full well that they gotta tell me in advance! I can’t just be takin everyone day of! Tonight’s boat’s already full, but I can get ye a spot on tomorrow’s!

Queen Kassandra: I’m afraid that’s not ideal Arthrisan. Our leaving is a matter of urgency, and must be done tonight. If it isn’t possible to add three passengers to tonight’s manifest, would it be possible to add one?

Arthrisan: I gotta say, I didn’t expect this! You just gonna leave poor Tanred with the kid? She’ll grow up thinkin sword fighting’s an ‘art’ too!

Queen Kassandra; Absolutely not! I am referring to my child. Surely it wouldn’t be difficult to bring the smallest of us on tonight’s journey? You will be paid the same amount, provided you make sure she is safe once you arrive.

Arthrisan: I gotta say, I’m tempted. But, if the ship’s full, the ship’s full. I wouldn’t have any time to make sure the youngin’s safe either, I’ve gotta get back for the next group! No deal, miss! I’ll take each one of yous tomorrow, or I won’t take ye at all!

Tanred rises in anger.

Tanred: I really must protest, Arthrisan! This is of the utmost importance, surely the jewels are enough to include three more passenger’s tonight? 

Queen Kassandra: Tanred, calm yourself. Arthrisan has made himself clear, he won’t be taking us tonight. It will be fruitless to argue with someone who has already made up their mind.

Tanred: I beg of you, this is of the utmost importance! Surely you see my reasoning, My-

Queen Kassandra rises, stepping towards Tanred.

Queen Kassandra: I will hear no more Tanred! It is most impolite to argue in front of our guest, especially on an already decided matter! I understand your concern, and am most appreciative for it, but if Arthrisan had come to a decision, it will serve no purpose, except raising the tensions of an already tense situation.

Tanred steps back, dropping his head in respect. Princess Phoibe begins to fuss, holding her hands out, and raising in volume.

Queen Kassandra: Now, Arthrisan. I thank you for the opportunity, and if I am to accept it, we will arrive tomorrow’s eve, and board the ship with the rest. If not, I wish you luck on your journey. I appreciate you deigning to meet me in person, in spite of your seemingly busy schedule. Pardon my rudeness, but I must tend to my child.

Arthrisan: No problem, miss. I hope to see ye and yer jewels tomorrow! 

Queen Kassandra nods absently, already holding her child. She is clearly distracted, her full attention on Princess Phoibe. Tanred nods to Arthrisan. The elf rises, clapping Tanred on the back, before exiting the room, and closing the door.

Tanred: With your permission, My Queen, I will search for another to take us out of the country. I have no more acquaintances, but I have no doubt I could recognize a smuggler if I saw one.

Queen Kassandra does not respond, murmuring some sort of lullaby to her daughter, who has begun to calm down.

Tanred: My Queen?

Queen Kassandra: Ah? Yes, of course, it is a matter that must be tended to at once. I do not have a single doubt in your abilities. If possible, find someone with more decorum, I did not care for having a dirty elf in my presence. It would have done him some good to clean himself before he arrived.

Tanred: Of course My Queen, I will do my very best to find an individual who fits your specifications. I apologize for bringing Arthrisad, I did expect he would be inclined to support us, given our history.

Queen Kassandra: Do not apologize, it was a reasonable assumption. If you would be so kind as to close the door quietly, my little light does not agree with the sound.

Tanred nods, before exiting quietly. Queen Kassandra continues to cradle her daughter in her arms, humming all the while.

Queen Kassandra sits idly in a chair, reading. Princess Phoibe sleeps in her crib. Three knocks are heard, and the Queen rises to answer the door. Tanred stands, once again joined by a newcomer. A dwarf stands in front of Tanred, and gives a respectful bow, before entering.

Tanred: Milady, may I introduce you to Yaknofrim. He is interested in our proposal, and agreed to a meeting. I believe you will find him more agreeable than our previous option.

Queen Kassandra: A pleasure, Yaknofrim. I hope that Tanred has informed you of our proposal? My time is rather sparse at the moment, I would rather not waste it.

Yaknofrim: He offered to, ma’am, but I declined. I feel that a respectable individual such as myself should receive offers face to face. I suspect my time will not be wasted. Shall we get down to business?

Queen Kassandra: We shall. I am requesting transport out of these borders for my daughter, myself, and Tanred. I have no currency on my person, but I have many jewels that will more than cover the cost of the trip.

Yaknofrim: I have no doubt that they will. I am familiar with jewels of this quality, and they will be payment enough for me. I am afraid that I must ask you to make a decision as to the specifics of your travel.

Queen Kassandra: And what might that question be? I am afraid that my destination is unknown, but after we are on board I can reveal it.

Yaknofrim: My ship and myself have diplomatic immunity, from here to Rakansh. Therefore, they will not be searched or stopped. As such, I do not transport hordes, I transport few at once, and they live in luxury while on my ship.

Queen Kassandra: That certainly sounds appealing, and I am more than agreeable to those arrangements, but I have yet to receive a question. Should I be prepared for one, or should I prepare for a description of the ship?

Yaknofrim: Fair enough ma’am, fair enough. My current journey has already been booked. An orc has found herself in a bit of trouble this side of the continent, and has taken advantage of my services. There is enough room for her and you, but some prefer to travel alone. I assure you that she isn’t going to put any of you in harm's way.

Queen Kassandra: I thank you for informing me, Yaknofrim, I would not have appreciated the surprise. As this is a new development in the arrangement, I will have to ponder over my choices before I come to a decision. Speaking of choices, may I inquire as to what other options I have?

Yaknofrim: Of course you may. If you find it agreeable, I will return in a week’s time, assuming you wish to travel alone. The payment will remain the same, and I will meet you in this inn again, provided your lodgings are not altered in my time away.

Queen Kassandra: I am grateful, Yaknofrim. I do not believe I will be able to come to a decision without you wasting away here, awaiting my answer. I will send Tanred to you with my decision, if I am allowed.

Yaknofrim: That is agreeable. I will await your answer. If Tanred does not come to me, I shall assume you have decided against utilizing my services. If that comes to pass, I will bear you no ill will. May you fare well.

Yaknofrim takes the initiative, exiting before he is shown out. The door is closed gently, as Tanred moves to Queen Kassandra’s side.

Tanred: My Queen, may I ask why the original proposal was not agreeable? I am aware it was not ideal, but I suspect it will be one of our best options.

Queen Kassandra: I would have thought that my reasoning was obvious, especially to one that knows me so well. I will do anything to confirm my daughter’s safety, and she wouldn’t have been safe on that boat. This orc, whoever she is, would have put my little light in danger, and I will not allow it. As a knight yourself, have you not heard of the viciousness of the orcs? The raids on innocent villages? Their appetite for children? It wouldn’t do! I would like my daughter to arrive unscathed, and decidedly not digested!

Tanred: Of course My Queen, it is a most reasonable assumption. I advise that we keep Yaknofrim in mind, as he assured us the orc wouldn’t be an issue. 

Queen Kassandra: He did assure us, but how can we trust him? I have offered precious jewels, with precious gems within! Gods only know what promises a dwarf might make as long as he receives gems?

Tanred: I take it you would like me to search once more? I have no doubt, with the right amount of inquiry, I would be able to locate a human who is willing to transport us.

Queen Kassandra: I apologize for sending you out once again. However, I suspect that you are right, and you will be able to find a human smuggler. I must request you to make haste once again, as our time is running thin. It will not be too long before we are discovered, and I hope to be long gone by the time traitors are rummaging through this inn.

Tanred: Apologies are not necessary My Queen, I will go to any lengths to ensure yours and the princesses safety. Besides, it is quite refreshing to walk the streets I walked as a child, despite the odor. I will return, and with me, a human smuggler and three knocks.

Tanred exits once again, closing the door behind him. Queen Kassandra kneels at Princess Phoibe’s crib, her head hung low.

Queen Kassandra: I am sorry, my light. I am sorry that I have yet to remove you from the danger’s path. Every moment you are in danger of capture, or worse, pains me in every part of my heart. I will not let you stay here, among those who disgraced you, among those who don’t recognize your value. I wonder where you will grow up. Will I have to teach you to climb, or to swim? Will I teach you to fear bandits, or beasts? Either way, you will be raised well, I promise you. You will be happy, you will love, and you will be loved. Sleep now, for by the next sunrise, you will be far from your home.

Three knocks are heard, and Queen Kassandra starts. She had fallen asleep against Princess Phoibe’s crib. Quickly smoothing her dress, and standing up, she opens the door. Tanred stands next to a human. He has a wiry build, a smile on his face.

Queen Kassandra: Ah, you have returned! I am glad it did not take you much time, it is of the essence. And who might this be? 

Tanred: Of course, Milady. This Mr. Port, who has kindly agreed to meet with you and discuss an opportunity to escort you away from these borders.

Queen Kassandra: Mr. Port? I am going to make the assumption that you work under a pseudonym? Though I suppose, if it was a genuine surname, sailing would be in the blood.

Mr. Port: Perhaps it is, perhaps it is not. Though, if it is my true name, why must sailing be in my blood? My family might have maintained a port so well we decided it was worth remembering. That, or my father stowed his boat in many ports. Alas, you have stated time is limited. I suppose you’d like to begin discussions?

Queen Kassandra: I would like to. I suspect this will be my most pleasant discussion yet, given your quick wit. Take a seat, I wouldn’t want you to feel uncomfortable throughout our talk. 

Mr. Port takes a seat across from Queen Kassandra.

Mr. Port: I most certainly wouldn’t. Though in terms of the terms, I hope for them to be quite simple. I will transport you, your daughter, and Tanred out of the country, in return for payment via jewels. This can all be done tonight, provided I receive said payment tonight.

Queen Kassandra: That is most certainly agreeable to me, Mr. Port. I can provide you with the jewels as soon as you would like, they are on my person. I must say, this is a relief. It has been a very trying day.

Mr. Port: It is? I’m especially sorry to hear it. You mentioned previous discussions, so I suspect that has something to do with your outlook on this glorious day? I wouldn’t be surprised, newcomers may find it difficult to tolerate these docks.

Queen Kassandra: You would be correct. I have spoken to two others in an attempt to be escorted away from my current location, and it suffices to say that you have been the most reasonable.

Mr. Port: Ah, as I suspected. Offers are not always generous, or even agreeable. It is not rare to turn down the first four offers, let alone the first two. May I inquire as to what made these demands unreasonable? Gods forbid they thought the jewels weren’t enough!

Queen Kassandra: I am afraid that it was not the jewels. I first encountered an elf. Horrible manners, and even worse dress! You would expect someone paying in jewels to receive a warmer welcome than dirtying my chair! Despite my pleading, he refused to allow us on the ship leaving port tonight, he instead offered tomorrow’s, which he knew wasn’t ideal. I expected better of an elf, truly. Secondly, A dwarf. By all means, polite, and more than willing to allow me to travel on his ship. However, if I was to set off tonight, I would be traveling with an orc for days! With a child? I cannot fathom how he found that to be a reasonable idea. He did inform me that this orc was not going to harm us, but I know not to trust a dwarf when jewels are on the table! Ah, I must be wasting your time, I apologize for my extended complaint.

Mr. Port: No need, milady, it was most informative. Tanred, would it be possible for you to accompany me, so you might inspect my ship before you bring your fellow passengers? I am sure that will quiet any concerns you all may have.

Tanred looks to Queen Kassandra, and she nods her head. 

Tanred: An excellent suggestion Mr, Port, I will join you. When I return, I will bring you both to the boat, and we will make our exit. Lead the way, Mr. Port.

Mr. Port stands up, exiting the room, closing the door before Tanred exits. Queen Kassandra chuckles, as Tanred opens the door, closing it again as he leaves.

Queen Kassandra: Did you hear that, my light? We will be making our exit! You will be safe. I tell you everyday, my child, but I truly love you. I would do what I cannot for you. I would swim with you on my back out of this place, if I could. I would raise the floor of the sea, so that we may walk across it. I would build you a home on the moon, so that you will never have to cry over it’s distance. Despite my inability to do so, I can do one thing. I can keep you safe. We will leave, and we will be safe. Perhaps it is time to relinquish my titles. That would be nice, wouldn’t it. No meetings, no guards, just you, me. Maybe Tanred, if he stays. We could purchase a house in a field. If you live in a field, maybe you will dance free. If you live in a field, maybe the moon will not feel so far. No need to ponder, I suppose. We will know soon, won’t we?

Kassandra holds Phoibe to her chest, as she sways around the room, a dazzling smile across her face.

A knock is heard, and Kassandra ceases her dance. She sets Phoibe in the cradle, and opens the door. Standing beyond it, is Mr. Port.

Kassandra: Ah, Mr. Port! Come in, come in! I hope everything is in order! I am most impressed at the speed of the inspection.

Mr. Port: The inspection was halted rather abruptly, I’m afraid. Though I can assure you that my vessel is more than seaworthy.

Kassandra: And why was the inspection halted? I hope there was no inconvenience to you, and that we can continue as planned.

Mr. Port: There was no inconvenience on my part, but there was quite a bit of on your man Tanred’s. I’m afraid he was taken away by some very fearsome guards. I only got away by pretending to be a passerby.

Kassandra stands, gabbing Phoibe, and holding her close.

Kassandra: And what exactly did Tanred do that warranted an arrest?

Mr. Port: Apparently, he was providing aid to the recently overthrown queen. What a shame too, he seemed like a very loyal man. I wonder where the queen is?

Kassandra: I am not in the mood for your sarcasm, Mr. Port. I would like to know what you know, and how you know it. 

Mr. Port: I would argue you aren’t in any sort of position to be demanding anything from me. But, I’m feeling generous. Sit down, ‘My Queen’, and let me tell you the whole sordid tale. I first became suspicious when Arthrisan spoke about an old pupil returning. Apparently, young Tanred, whom he had told swordskill, was in need of an out. That was strange, considering he had supposedly become a knight. Then, Arthrisan said there was a woman, and a child with him. My suspicions only grew. Secondly, Yaknofrim overheard a conversation held after he left. Tanred referred to you as his queen. This should have been confirmation, but perhaps he was simply inclined to love a woman in power. So I got confirmation. I tipped off the guards, to see if they would recognize him. Imagine my surprise when Tanred is arrested for aiding Kassandra, Queen to no one!

A ruckus is heard in the streets below, knights searching for Kassandra.

Kassandra: And just what did you think you were doing? Why in the world would you lead them to me? Do you know what they will do?

Mr. Port: You insulted Arthrisan to my face. You insulted Yaknofrim to my face.

Kassandra: And? And what, Mr. Port. That could not possibly be all that persuaded you to lose out on a payment of jewels.

Mr. Port: I assure you it is more than enough.

Kassandra: Oh? And why is my slight on those two beasts enough for you to sentence me to my death?

Mr. Port: You insulted my husbands.

Kassandra: Your hus-.... Ah.

Kassandra slumps back into a chair, holding Phoibe to her.

Mr. Port: Yes. ah. Now, I am aware that there is an alternate agreement, where Phoibe is transported to a safe place. I am agreeable to this, on one condition.

Kassandra: Yes? Anything, I swear it, just don’t let them capture her.

Mr. Port: Surrender. Walk into the streets and surrender. You will not try to escape. You will not plan a coup. You will surrender and face the consequences that a tyrant should.

Kassandra: Swear Phoibe will be safe. Swear to me you will make sure she is safe.

Mr. Port: I swear. Phoibe is nothing but a victim in this, she deserves nothing for your actions.

Kassandra: May I bid her farewell? 

Mr. Port: Very well. 

Kassandra: My child, My light. I have to go now, and I will not be back. I do not want to, I swear. I swear to you on whatever soul I have, that I do not want to leave you. That I wouldn’t if you were not in danger otherwise. I know you can’t understand, but please try. Please try to remember that your mother loves you. That I will never stop loving you. Death will not stop me. Eternity will not stop me. Nothing will stop me from loving you, my light. If you ever look at the moon, think of me. Think of me, and remember. I will be there. I will be there every night, I will be watching you grow up. Will you fall in love? I hope so, you deserve to love. I don’t care who it is. Fall in love with who you choose, and I will love them as my own. Mother has to go now, I made a promise, to keep you safe. Remember, I love you. Remember, if you need me, look towards the moon.

Kassandra stands, tears rolling down her face. She presses a kiss to Phoibe’s forehead, before handing her to Mr. Port, and walking towards the door.

Kassandra: Phoibe-

Mr. Port: I swear.

Kassandra looks at her daughter once more. She turns the door handle.

Kassandra: Goodbye, my light.

Kassandra exits. Night has fallen.

Arthrisan and Yaknofrim enter. Mr. Port has placed Phoibe in her crib.

Yaknofrim: So, she agreed.

Mr. Port: That she did.

Arthrisan: We aren’t parents, ya know. What are we gonna do?

Yaknofrim: We will become parents, my wind.

Mr. Port: We will be her parents. I swore to her mother that I would keep her safe.

Arthrisan: It’s done then.

Yaknofrim: We are fathers.

Mr. Port: She will grow, become an adult.

Arthrisan: Life marches on, don’t it?

Yaknofrim: We will have to teach her. She will learn of the ballads.

Arthrisan: And the shanties!

Mr. Port: And the sea.

Arthrisan: What about her mum?

Mr. Port: What of her?

Yaknofrim: Will she learn of her mother?

Mr. Port: If she requests, what kind of fathers would we be to deny her?

Phoibe smiles at the men, seemingly unaware of the events that have transpired.

Mr. Port: Her mother called her ‘my light’.

Arthrisan: She’s pretty bright, ain’t she.

Yaknofrim: She certainly is.

Mr. Port: Dawn.

Arthrisan: Huh?

Yaknofrim: What do you mean, my sail?

Mr. Port: We will call her Dawn.

END

This is a piece that I wrote to adhere to the traditional Ancient Greek format, including tragedy and fatal flaws, while still adding a fantasy aspect to the play! I hope you enjoy reading!