Growth of a Seed | Teen Ink

Growth of a Seed

By Ranee_Oops BRONZE, Qingdao, Other
Ranee_Oops BRONZE, Qingdao, Other

CHARACTER LIST:

(in order of appearance)

MEI, a Chinese college girl who just got home for summer break; a feminist.

FATHER, an old Chinese man, MEI’s adoptive father.

MOTHER, an old Chinese woman, MEI’s adoptive mother.

LISA and JASMINE, two college students; MEI’s Chinese friends in America.

THE GIRL

SCENE I

(MEI, a Chinese college student, enters with her FATHER. Carrying her big backpack, MEI goes up a flight of stairs towards a blackish-green door. The door, along with the adjacent wall, are dilapidated with faded and peeled paint. FATHER walks behind her with a giant suitcase. As they approach, the door is thrown open. MOTHER enters. She is an apron-clad Chinese woman, stepping out with a huge smile and open arms. They hug.)

MOTHER

(Cups MEI’s face, stares at it, and fondly touches her cheek.)

My girl! You must be exhausted after such a long flight! Come on in, I made your favorite dumplings.

FATHER

(Shrugs and smiles at MEI.) I told her you would probably prefer to rest first. But she insisted.

(With a smile, MOTHER rolls her eyes at FATHER.)

MOTHER

Don’t mind your dad. Have some dumplings first, then you can take a shower and go to bed. 

FATHER

(Whispers to MEI while MOTHER turns to get MEI some dumplings, making a silly face.) Her dumplings are still terrible. I’ll take you to Food Street tomorrow for a real meal. I’m sure you are tired of American food by now.

MEI

(Smiles at FATHER, puts down her backpack and sizes up the cramped kitchen.)

Did mom make all these for me? And you turned on the TV! Ha, first day home, and it looks like I’m already the princess of this “palace.”

MOTHER

Yes, Your Highness. We even switched to the channel with that dating show you liked, just for you.

(MEI sits at the dining table and picks up a dumpling with her chopsticks. On the screen, a female could be heard introducing herself to a male.)

MOTHER

A participant from the last round. Ai-ya, no wonder no one picked her! Just look at her. With all those extra pounds. (Shakes her head with disapproval.)

FATHER

(Takes a sip of his beer.)

If I was on that stage, I wouldn’t have picked her either. I hope she realizes no outfit is going to solve her weight problem because she’d never find anyone in that shape. A potential leftover.

MOTHER

(Jokingly.)

Who knows, maybe some weird guy is into her. Young people today!

MEI

(Frowns.)

She does have a good sense of humor though, doesn’t she?

MOTHER

Yeah, but appearance always precedes a sense of humor or anything really. A simple truth.

MEI

(Hesitant, putting down her bowl and chopsticks.)

True. I’m done, thanks mum. Dumplings are delicious, as always. I really need to go catch up on some sleep.

MOTHER

(Proudly.)

Aren’t the dumplings much better than those fast food and hamburgers you get in America?

MOTHER & FATHER

Sweet dreams!

(MEI goes to her room and closes the door. Her room is filled with old stuffed animals dating back to her childhood. By the window is the plum pot she raised before studying abroad. Her parents have been taking care of the plant for her, occasionally trimming the growing branches to their liking. The light dims, and a spotlight is upon her. She speaks to herself, facing the audience.)

MEI

Change is inevitable. It's a simple fact.

People change.

And I’ve changed.

Those banters—I know they are harmless— used to be something I could laugh at freely. Without a second thought. Without a third or fourth thought.

I no longer find them funny.

They leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Those banters sound ignorant now.

I guess I was ignorant.

(MEI's gaze falls on the dresses in her closet that her mother picked out for her. She never wears them now.)

And then things happened. I changed.

Why do some people never change? Is it just because they're older, or is it because the world around them never changes?

Why do some people change so determinedly while others don’t change at all?

The same doubts resurface, always present, always haunting.

SCENE II

(A year ago. In an American coffee shop, MEI and some other GIRLS her age sit around a table, gossiping and chatting. Some drinks are on the table, along with AirPods and laptops. The stage is lit by a dim purple light. All are Chinese.)

MEI

So, did Ling get the job?

LISA

Nah. Things went well at first. It was basically a done deal. Then came the interview and BOOM! The deal was off. The manager called the next morning and rejected her application.

MEI

(Shaking her head.)

Unbelievable! Everyone would agree that she is a good fit. Talented. Competent. Confident. Why?

JASMINE

She couldn’t hide the fact that she was pregnant at the interview.

MEI

Why should that be a problem? It’s the 21st century now.

LISA

Why would you want to hire someone who’s about to take a 10-week maternity leave?

JASMINE

Maybe the company has its own concerns.

LISA

You sound like my parents. Always trying to make unbearable things seem less serious.

Speaking of which, do y’all know that in my family, I'm expected to marry some guy one day and be a happy stay-at-home housewife? As if my final life goal is to start and serve a family. (Rolls her eyes as she takes a sip of her drink.)

MEI

Ohh…That must be hard for you. It’s hard to escape one’s family’s expectations.

LISA

Not really. (Shrugs and takes another sip of her drink.)

I've decided to keep my distance. I'd rather be alone than pretend to be okay with something or someone I don’t agree with. Believe it or not, it’s immensely freeing. No more pointless arguments over trifles. No more painful struggles to explain to them my “radical” opinions.

MEI

(In shock; eyes wide.)

Wait, so you just broke off all contact with them? How is that possible?!

LISA

It’s not impossible.

JASMINE

(Putting down her drink.)

I know what Mei means. It does seem unrealistic. I’m not sure if I can go that far. I sometimes wish they’ll just leave me alone and never visit me. Maybe you’re right. If I can't get along with my parents, why bother trying? It’s not against the law to stop talking to one’s parents. At least not in America.

MEI

If you say so. I just can’t imagine cutting ties with my parents, even though I am adopted. No, I don’t get it—to cut ties with one’s parents, that’s not something imaginable in our culture. I’d be heartbroken.

(She sighs.)

LISA

I won’t pretend that I’m wrong when I know I’m right. Didn’t you say you weren’t sure what subject you’d want to major in? Try sociology or gender study, maybe that’ll help you understand the issue better.

(The chat continues.)

SCENE III

(MEI and her parents are sitting in the living room, with a fan whirring in the background. MEI is still in her pajamas. The grey walls are adorned with neat rows of photos of MEI from her childhood to her graduation ceremony. The glass cabinet is filled with honors in math competitions. Sunlight in the afternoon pours down onto the couch, casting a black shade between her and the old couple. The shade looks sharp. MOTHER and FATHER sit next to MEI, listening intently as their daughter recounts her life in a foreign country.)

MOTHER

So, what’s your favorite class at university, our little Mei Mei girl?

MEI

(Unaware of her own response.)

Gender study. The professor is great, and I love the courses.

FATHER

Why does a math major need to study gender?

(The noise from the fan suddenly gets louder, and it becomes harder to hear the conversation.)

MEI

(Raises her tone a bit.)

Of course! I am still majoring in math, of course. It’s just that I’ve been thinking about changing my major lately. It’s way harder and more frustrating than I expected, and I don’t know if I can handle it anymore.

MOTHER

Really? You were so good at it in high school. What have you been doing all this time?

MEI

Complicated stuff overall. You know, um, college-level math, calculus, blah blah blah. It’s just hard to get a good grade.

FATHER

But it’s way easier to find a job when it comes to STEM subjects. When you graduate and come back next year, you’ll be thankful for our decision. Trust me. Your future husband and children will benefit from it, too.

MEI

(Biting her lips.)

I’m not so sure about finding a job and getting married that soon. I’d like to get a Ph.D. first.

FATHER

Don’t be silly. Your uncle has already reserved a position for you in his company. We settled on it the last time we dined together. You might even find “the one” there.

MEI

(Raises her tone even further.) Without asking me?

FATHER

We might be old, but we are still your parents. (Dramatic pause.) You don’t have to go to grad school— Develop a skillset, get a good job, and find a guy to start a family with. That’s all there is to it! 

MOTHER

(Tries to appease MEI, places a hand on her shoulders.) Honey, your dad is right. And I bet you’d turn out to be the best employee at your uncle’s company when you start working there.

MEI

(Takes a deep breath and steps away.)

Please, mom and dad, you sound like you know what’s best for me. But truth be told, you know little about me now.

FATHER

We know a thing or two about what’s best for you. We raised you, after all.

MEI

So what?

MOTHER

Mei!

(MEI’s parents get up as well.)

MEI

That’s it. I can’t live a lie anymore. I changed my major to sociology, and I’ve been doing pretty well. I am a top student indeed, not in math but in sociology. My professor encouraged me to pursue further academically. I’m going to grad school, and I will show you that I’m not your “little Mei Mei girl” anymore.

FATHER & MOTHER

Do you have any idea what you have done?! You solve math problems even better than the boys do — (Stutters.) do you realize how precious that is?

MEI

More than ever. I didn’t major in math because I finally found what I really like. I’m a grown-up now. Stop lecturing me with your antiquated doctrines about women — they are just outdated as this run-down house.

MOTHER

And why do you think the house is in this shape? Your father worked his whole life to save up for a new condo. It was meant to be a surprise for the family. But he gave it all up the minute you uttered the sentence, the simple sentence that tells us you wanted to go study abroad. We’ve done so much for you, and all we get is “we are antiquated”?

MEI

I—

FATHER

(Interrupts MEI.) We reached an agreement before you went to college. Maybe it was a mistake to send you to college.

(He pauses for a second.)

Why can’t you just go on the right track?

Sure, you can change your mind, and so can we. If you stick to your sociology major, we’ll have to cut you off.

(He pauses.)

Financially.

Mama, drink some water now. You look pale.

(MOTHER walks away. FATHER turns to MEI.)

As for you, young lady, you’ve let us down. We will not bother you anymore, as you wish. Maybe you have never taken us as your parents.

(MEI storms out.)

MOTHER

Perhaps we were too harsh on her. I don’t know. She seems…different now.

FATHER

What did you expect? After all these years of living and studying in another country, it would be odd if she had stayed the same.

MOTHER

What did we expect?

SCENE IV

(MEI sits on her bed. Surrounded by darkness, a purple spotlight shines on her.)

MEI

That was not what I had expected.

I didn’t mean to say the things that just came out of my mouth.

But I did. The tea was spilled. The trigger was pulled.

I am just trying to gain control over my own life.

Is that so wrong?

Maybe I should break ties with them, my parents, the people who took me in as their own.

Or maybe I should listen to them and heed their advice.

(She quietens and abruptly shouts to the void.)

How can you go and plant a seed but not expect it to grow?!

(No response from the void.)

I never knew my tuition and living expenses were intended to buy another house, a house they dreamed of living in, not this poor shabby thing. All those years they never told me. I can imagine the scene, though—

(THE GIRL enters from the void. A spotlight is on her. She picks up a crayon from MEI’s drawer. THE GIRL draws a female figure with short, curly hair on a piece of blank paper.)

That’s mother.

(THE GIRL draws a male figure with a pair of glasses next to the woman.)

That’s father.

They are contemplating. Their daughter—the adopted one—just told them that she wanted to see and live in a foreign country. They looked at each other, for they had no idea what their daughter had wanted. They had been living a way of life since they were children. They never went to another country, nor understood what other ways may look like. They knew, though, they wanted a big house. A big, new house in which they can live for the rest of their lives, in which they can play Cui Jian’s music with a stereo and not worried about the poor sound insulation here. No, they wouldn’t do that, but dad likes Cui Jian’s songs. He wouldn’t understand why young people in his culture no longer listen to those songs and would rather listen to pop songs, different songs and books and ideas.

Doing this monologue makes me feel like a stand-up comedian. Mom doesn’t like stand-ups. She prefers xiangsheng, but I like stand-ups and SNL sketches. I like Kate McKinnon, not Guo Degang.

(THE GIRL draws sad expressions on the couple’s faces.)

Time has moved on, and they were left behind, left behind…by me.

Yet they tried to give me everything, in their own way… They did fertilize the soil and whatever comes out of it owes something to them.

Can I truly leave them behind? Me? An abandoned daughter?

(THE GIRL hands the paper to MEI and leaves. MEI fondles the paper. All lights out.)

SCENE V

(At 5:00 am. MEI is up, and she wanders around the house.)

MEI

I haven’t noticed how hot it is here in the kitchen. What’s that smell? Oh, right, leftovers from yesterday, mom’s favorite food, leftovers.

(She picks up the wooden spatula.)

She should get a new one. And the floor! Full of cracks.

In my memory, they weren’t this obvious—all I remembered was the time we dine in here.

(She goes to the living room and stares at the walls, tiptoeing. MEI then sits on the couch, changing postures several times to make herself comfy. At last, she gives up, for the couch is too stiff. MOTHER enters and sees MEI.)

MOTHER

What are you doing here?

MEI

(Awkwardly)

I left my charger here.

MOTHER

Okay.

(MOTHER turns back to her room but stops suddenly.)

What are you majoring in, again?

MEI

Sociology.

(MOTHER nods and goes back to her room. MEI continues to sit on the couch for a while.)

(FATHER and MOTHER enter.)

FATHER

Tell us about your plan for your future.

MEI

(Surprised.)

What?

FATHER

Sociology, what can you do with the degree after graduation? Can you find a job? A stable job?

MEI

It sucks at first, just like all other majors. But if I go further and deeper into the discipline, it’ll pay off.

(She adds.)

If I keep learning.

FATHER

Are you happy?

MEI

Yes! I’ve found my calling. I’ve decided to make my life not just about myself, but others, and the world, too.

MOTHER

You think you’ll be able to make a living with this major? A better living than this one, with poor air-conditioning and sound insulation?

MEI

(Hearing that puts a little smile on her face.)

I’ll be fine. You’ve made a good life for me, and I couldn’t have asked for a better life. And I promise you, I would make a good living, good enough to move you into a better place.

FATHER

We never asked anything from you. Consider what we’ve done for you an investment – but an unconditional one. All we want for you is that you can take care of yourself, stay healthy and happy.

MOTHER

But I might hold you up to your offer about a new apartment or house.

(All laugh. A period of silence.)

FATHER

Now, who’s ready to go to the Food Street for some grub?

THE END

If you had seen Everything Everywhere All at Once, maybe you'd like this piece? IDK.

The picture I've chosen is meant to represent a state of hesitation & frustration.