787 Whispymound Drive, Part 1: | Teen Ink

787 Whispymound Drive, Part 1:

By _Mike-Rosso_ BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts
_Mike-Rosso_ BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts

“Something we agree on”

EXT. Mid-Century Home, Ryker, Michigan, 1997. The house contains two occupants, a man and a woman.

INT. Mid-Century home, the man and woman come into view, the man is in his early forties, with gray hair, and a clean and sharp chin with blue eyes. The woman is in her mid thirties, with blonde hair, green eyes, and an hourglass figure.

Arguing voices start to fade in.

MELANIE (V.O)

Ah, young love, there was one point I thought I was in love. But as you can see, this doesn’t seem very lovely, does it?

MELANIE:

YOU ARE SUCH A GODDAMN CHEAT, RYAN!

RYAN (V.O)

This has kinda become a normal routine for us, no one ever said marriage was an easy thing, ESPECIALLY, when you marry the wrong person.

RYAN:

ME? ME THE CHEAT? DO WE NEED TO BRING UP THE TENNIS COACH, OR THE MAILMAN, OR YOUR DENTIST? TWO OUT OF THREE OF THOSE GUYS I PAID FOR ONLY TO FIND OUT YOU WERE SCREWING THEM!

MELANIE:

SCREW YOU RYAN!

Melanie started to walk up the stairs, intent on leaving her husband on the ground floor.

RYAN:

AH, BUT YOU WON’T!

MELANIE (V.O)

This is a normal Tuesday for us, the McCarrons.

EXT. Shot of Monmouth Courthouse. Slow Zoom.

MELANIE (V.O)

Eventually we’d decided enough was enough.  I’d like to say it was mutual, but that’d be giving Ryan too much credit.

INT. Shot of Courthouse, Shows Judge hitting the gavel.

JUDGE:

After reviewing the evidence for the divorce of Miss Melanie Jacobs from Mister Ryan McCarron, I have decided that the property on 787 Whispymound Drive, near Lake Huron, shall be decided by the two on what you wish to do with it.

Cut to side by side shots of Melanie and Ryan both slamming their heads against the tables.

(One Year Later)

EXT. Shots of a White Buick Enclave driving along a road. Melanie is driving this car. Ryan and Her are talking on the phone.

MELANIE:

Ok, are we gonna call an insurance agent? Or do you think we should just post an ad on Craig’s List or something?

RYAN (On Phone)

Insurance Agent would probably be the best route to go. If we go Craig’s List, we’ll probably get less of a profit.

MELANIE:

Always about the money with you.

RYAN:

I’m sorry I wanna make some money on the property here Mel. 

MELANIE:

Don’t call me Mel, Ryan.

RYAN:

Ok, jeez, calm down.

MELANIE:

No Ryan, I will not calm down. That Judge was one of the stupidest people I’ve ever met, why are we the ones in charge of who the property goes to? So stupid.

RYAN:

At least there’s one thing we both agree on.

MELANIE:

Do you just want the property? I don’t need it. I don’t want it. I don’t like it.

RYAN:

(Mutters) Well luckily I don’t give a damn what you like…

MELANIE:

What’d you say?

RYAN:

Nothing. No, I don’t want the property either, it serves no use to me and it’s extra taxes.

MELANIE: 

Oh, ok, well, guess we’re gonna have to sell this place then.

RYAN:

Guess so.

The Phone vibrates, it’s Melanie’s friend, Tyler.

MELANIE:

Hey I gotta go.

RYAN:

Alright lemme know when you get to the house.

MELANIE:

Alright, bye Ryan.

*Click*  The phone beeps.

MELANIE:

Wow, not even a goodbye.

Melanie picks up the call from Tyler.

MELANIE:

Hey, Ty.

TYLER:

Hey Mel, how’s the drive?

MELANIE:

Oh just great, I’m going up to a property I don’t care about to see my ex husband who I don’t want to see and who doesn’t want to see me. And have to spend however much time with him up there that I’d rather not. 

(Long Inhale)

But hey the meds are kicking in, so life’s good. How’s Sammy?

TYLER:

Well, goddamn...Sammy’s doing alright, he’s out with friends this weekend so it’s just Hanna and I at the house.

MELANIE:

Man, what I would give for a weekend alone, but no, instead I have to spend time with Ryan.

TYLER:

Mel, y’all divorced a little over a year ago. And you guys haven’t seen each other in probably 10 months give or take. Maybe a little time together will actually be good.

MELANIE:

Tyler, that might be the dumbest thing you’ve ever said.

TYLER: 

Hey I’m just saying Mel, you never truly know.

MELANIE:

I’m very certain on this one Tyler.

TYLER:

Ok, ok, alright. Listen I gotta get going, Hanna and I are going out, good luck Mel. 

Melanie paused for a moment, she looked at the setting sun on the horizon, the Great Lake Michigan to her right, the faint, faint lights of Milwaukee could be seen. She took a deep breath, and asked in a pleading manner.

MELANIE: 

Hey, Ty?

TYLER:

Yeah Mel?

MELANIE:

I…I need to say this. I don’t know why, and I don’t know how, but I can’t still not love him…

TYLER:

Like, Ryan?

MELANIE:

Yeah. I just can’t not love him, I’ll act like I don’t…but I just do. And I can’t change that.

TYLER:

Mel, he’s cheated on you repeatedly. He’s gone through an entire court case, he’s lied, stole, hell, he might’ve…you know.

MELANIE:

Ryan didn’t do that and you know it!

TYLER:

I don’t know Mel, there were multiple pieces of evidence linked to him. But even if he didn’t do that, he’s cheated repeatedly.

MELANIE:

So did I though, we both don’t have clean hands.

TYLER:

Either or, it’s better you two are divorced and separated. Anyway Mel, I need to go, if you need me just text me ok?

MELANIE:

Thanks Ty, you too.

EXT. Shot of the car, the Buick continues moving down the road as an overhead shot pushes in on the setting sun.

EXT. Shot of 787 Whispymound Drive, the dark oak wood and stone foundation of the exterior complimenting the glass paned windows, the arching roof with the windows poking out of the dark and mysterious third floor. A Red Dodge Challenger is parked outside, the lights are on.

INT. Shot zooms in on Ryan talking on the phone.

RYAN:

Yeah, she’s on her way, I am not excited about this Jare.

JARED (ON PHONE):

I know, Ry, I know. Listen, it’s gonna be ok.

RYAN: 

That’s easy for you to say Jare, you’re not the one who has to spend an ungodly amount of time with your ex wife trying to sell a house you don’t care about. All the while, your cousin has been left in charge of the business and you don’t know how well they are gonna do.

JARED:

You are right, but you also don’t have to watch your bitch of an ex wife take a vacation to Bremuda with someone half their age, who’s more successful than you, and way better looking. You don’t have to do that.

RYAN:

Oh...dude you good?

JARED:

Yeah, I’ll be fine…(incomprensible) Preston.

RYAN:

PRESTON? PRESTON IMANI? THE UFC FIGHTER?

JARED:

Yeah. Preston Imani, Preston “The Revenant” Imani.

RYAN:

Christ, and he’s dating Denise? Poor kid.

JARED:

Ryan...too soon.

RYAN:

Oh, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

There’s a knock at the door.

RYAN:

Oh boy, Melanie’s here, wish me luck.

JARED:

Good luck soldier, just call me if you need me.

RYAN:

Yeah, I will, thanks Jare.

Ryan hangs up the phone and walks to the door.

Ryan opens the door and holds it open for Melanie.

RYAN:

You remember the layout of the place right?

MELANIE:

Not really, I haven’t been here for years.

RYAN:

Alright, well, the guest room is up the stairs and to the right. I’m taking the main room.

MELANIE:

Alright, I’m going to bed soon, tomorrow we start.

RYAN:

(Sarcastically) Yes ma’am.

Ryan walks upstairs to the main room, and closes the door. Melanie stays in the living room. Cementing herself to the brown leather couch and turning on the television to continue her favorite show, Friends.

MELANIE:

God, what a dick..

(One Hour Later)

1:28 A.M.

Melanie sits on the couch, sipping on a glass of Rosso Vino.

Footsteps emanate from the floor above.

Melanie looks up towards the ceiling.

MELANIE:

What the hell? Ryan said he was staying in the main bedroom…

Ominous music starts to creep in.

Melanie sets down her glass, and moves over towards the stairs, the light from Ryan’s room is off. The sounds of the TV becoming fainter and fainter.

Melanie starts up the stairs, she eyes the darkness coming from the guest bedroom...and a slight draft.

Melanie makes her way up the rest of the stairs, turning on the hallway lights and illuminating parts of the guest room.

Nothing.

MELANIE:

Ryan James McCarron, if you try to scare me so help me god, I will kill you right here right now.

No response.

Melanie opens the door to Ryan’s room, he is fast asleep.

Ominous music increases.

Melanie walks back down the stairs, the sound of the grandfather clock matching her steps. The TV has turned itself off somehow.

Melanie walks back towards her glass sitting on the coffee table, when she pauses. A piece of paper is lying on the table next to her glass. 

Melanie walks over cautiously.

Ominous music pauses abruptly. She gasps.

Loud boom sound effect is heard as the camera cuts to the paper.

“WELCOME HOME :)”

Melanie continued to stare at the paper as the camera pans up to show the silhouette of a woman, standing outside the window. Music starts to increase intensely and fastly.

Screen Cuts to black. Music stops abruptly.

Credits begin rolling as the ominous music starts playing.

The piece is an assignment as part of my Creative Writing Class in my senior year. I hope any who read this enjoys, it took some time, and if you have any compliments, constructive criticsim, or questions, feel free to leave them or send them to my email itself. Have a good day!