Runaway | Teen Ink

Runaway

November 5, 2019
By ashlynburkett23 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
ashlynburkett23 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Runaway

(from Eleanor and Park)

Set Instructions: Eleanor, a teenage girl with long curly red hair and a thick waist, sits in a chair by a small window inside a small RV. The stage is set in the middle of the night. The ceiling is low and there is a small bed at one end and a kitchen at the other. There is a small table against the wall with two seats, one on each side. Eleanor has a worried and terrified look on her face– She has just decided to run away. A spotlight shines just on Eleanor as she sits there in a panic.

Monologue: I must go. I really need to go. I never thought things would get this bad. How did I let this go so far? How could I let this happen to all my siblings? And (pauses) and my mom. (a tear falls down her face) I thought Park could help all the problems I have with Richie go away. I thought he could make all the bullies and evil words just disappear. I thought, (pauses) never mind. I was wrong. (begins to breathe heavily) I was so wrong. I love Park with everything I have in me, but I could never tell him. Especially when he is literally about to drive me to another state so I can start a new life, without him. How am I supposed to do this? (she stands quickly) How am I supposed to just leave everything behind and start fresh? This could be the wrong and worst decision on my life. (more tears begin to fall) Maybe it is. (begins to shout) I hate my life. I hate everything. (quiet speaks) But not Park. I could never hate Park. (starts to walk around the RV) Maybe this could be the best decision I’ve ever made. (speaks angrily) I don’t need those bullies, and I definitely don’t need Richie. I can just start over, make new friends, and forget everything that has happened. That means forgetting Park too. (looks down in sadness) I could never just forget Park. What if I get there and my aunt and uncle won’t let me stay with them? Then I’m screwed. Absolutely screwed. I should’ve just stayed home and taken all the hurt from Richie. I need Park. (screams) I need him now. He doesn’t have to do this. He could just stay in bed and go on with life like normal. But instead he is about to spend the next several hours of his life helping me run away. (laughs in disbelief) Wow, I can’t believe this is actually happening. I never thought I would be the girl who runs away from everything. (one last tear falls) But now I am. I’m that girl. (lights fade slowly)


The author's comments:

This monologue is based off of the book Eleanor and Park.