The Lady’s Aftermath | Teen Ink

The Lady’s Aftermath

June 13, 2018
By TheaterChick16 GOLD, Wethersfield, Connecticut
TheaterChick16 GOLD, Wethersfield, Connecticut
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you want a place in the sun, you have to expect a few blisters" - Loretta Young


ACT I
Scene 1

(Lights up inside a small house. It is furnished and polished but nothing at all grand. There is a living room with various chairs and a hard wooden ground. There is laughter heard from outside. It grows and creaks of the wood are heard as they approach the entrance of the home. Once inside we see two well dressed ladies Dorinda and Cherry as well as Dorinda's husband Aimwell enter).
                        Cherry
       Shall I assist you with your belongings?
                         DORINDA
             Oh no no no dearie.
              CHERRY
How about preparing some tea? scones?
               AIMWELL
(Laughing) Do not fret Cherry. There is no need of assistance.
              CHERRY
Are you sure? If there is anything possible-
              DORINDA
Cherry! Did you really believe that we we're going to force you into labor!?
               AIMWELL
    We needed to keep you safe.
               DORINDA
Your father has run off and his is wanted for his horrid deeds.
               AIMWELL
(Hand wrapped around Cherry's shoulder) You are in need of assistance. Your family's good name has been destroyed. We will provide everything for you until you marry perhaps.
            (Cherry gulps)
               DORINDA
Look. We didn't mean you would cook, clean or do anything of that sorts. You'll be treated like any other.
                CHERRY
Okay...Now do you two think I can go to town tomorrow?
               AIMWELL
Of course if we can accompany you. Why do you ask?
               CHERRY
Well if I can't work for the two of you then I shall try to find another job of sorts. Perhaps one that will actually suit my interests.
                AIMWELL
Absolutely not! Are you a fool? You're only a girl! And besides that your father is on the run! Nobody would ever hire you!
                DORINDA
                Aimwell!
               AIMWELL
Cherry! Be practical! Try to find a man instead.
                CHERRY
         But... I can write.
                          AIMWELL
You!? I have never heard such strong words from you for as long as I have known you. Forget your fantasies and do not cause any humiliation.
               CHERRY
I... Well...It's just that.. I-
   (Cherry runs upstairs in tears)
                DORINDA
 (Sarcastically) Well that went well.
                AIMWELL
She clearly has no sense of-
               DORINDA
Aimwell! She is our guest. Treat her with respect. You do not know what could possibly happen. And do not try to pressure her into falling in love all over again just yet. You know that she was in love with-
                AIMWELL
       I know I know Archer.
                DORINDA
However he has married my sister. Give her some time to heal.
(Silence. Then Dorinda kisees Aimwell's cheek.)
                DORINDA
        Be the man I married.

      (Dorinda heads upstairs.)
SCENE 2
(Morning. A large theatre is shown that can easily be mistaken for a palace. There is an abundance of seats and a grand, large stage. Cherry who is in disguise as a boy enters.)
               CHERRY
(To herself) If Cherry cannot make a living for herself then Benjamin will!
(Cherry marches down the steps of theatre and makes her way towards the stage. There she finds Stacks the owner of the theatre.)
               CHERRY
          Good day sir!
               STACKS
Hmm...(Observes Cherry) What is your name?
               CHERRY
              Benjamin.
              STACKS
Ah yes... And how old are you?
               CHERRY
              21 sir.
              STACKS
And what brings you here young man?
               CHERRY
Well sir, I am a playwright and I brought along with me some of my works.
               STACKS
     Okay boy let me see them!
(Cherry pulls out a couple of scripts and hands them to Stacks)
              STACKS
(Looking at the scripts.) Hmmm... No that one will not do... Far too cliché... Too complicated.... Oh! Well... um I must say... This one called The Countess... This one sounds very interesting.
              CHERRY
           You like it?
               STACKS
Well it is definitely something to consider... I'll tell you what. Give me a few days to really look over this and I will let you what can come out of it.
              CHERRY
Really!? Oh thank you sir! Thank you!
               STACKS
Yes yes now enough talking! I have to attend to a business meeting... Casper! Get out here and start sweeping the stage!
(Stacks exits. Casper a young, dirty looking man enters and starts sweeping. Cherry is about to leave when Casper stops her.)
              CASPER
            Any luck?
               CHERRY
Yes. I wrote a play called The Countess. He's considering some options with it.
              CASPER
Well congratulations. It is certainly not easy to please him. Just a consideration is an honor.
               CHERRY
       And so I've heard.
              CASPER
(Offers his hand) I'm Casper.
              CHERRY
I'm Benjamin. How long have you been working here?
              CASPER
About three years. I do not enjoy it though... I'd rather write plays.
               CHERRY
Have you ever presented any plays to Stacks?
              CASPER
Uh... no.... I never really had the courage. I mean there is this one play that I have been working on called The Gentleman and His Lady but it's all mere fun.
               CHERRY
Well you never know. If you're so passionate about playwriting then go for it. What is the worse that could happen? He fires you?
              CASPER
(Laughs) Yes well you have a point. I have to admire you for your courage and of course surprising success... If you would like to come back one of these days and I can show you around-
              CHERRY
Sounds great! Is tomorrow good?
               CASPER
          Sure! Why not?
              CHERRY
      Okay I will see you then!
              CASPER
         Have a good day!
(Cherry romantically sighs to herself as she leaves)
Scene 3
(Cherry returns home. She is fixing her hair and dress as she enters the house.)
              AIMWELL
 Where we're you? I was worried sick!
               CHERRY
       Um... Taking a walk.
              AIMWELL
        A very long walk.
              CHERRY
No! I am a very outdoorsy person! (Pulls out a bouquet) Here! Some flowers for the house!
               AIMWELL
Oh! Well that is very thoughtful of you Cherry.
(A worried Dorinda enters and immediately notices Cherry)
              DORINDA
Oh! There you are! I was about to call for a search party!
               CHERRY
     Nothing to fear! I'm here now!
              AIMWELL
Good! But next time please let me know.
               CHERRY
             I promise!
               AIMWELL
Now if you'll excuse me I have to check to see if we have received any letters.
           (Aimwell exits.)
              DORINDA
      Cherry may I have a word?
    (Cherry nods and they sit down.)
               DORINDA
You we're out looking for a job weren't you?
              CHERRY
Yes... But I am actually doing very well. My play called The Countess is being considered to be performed.
              DORINDA
    Really!? That is wonderful!
               CHERRY
         You are not mad?
              DORINDA
Well I was a bit worried... How did you do it?
              CHERRY
I went in disguise. Call me Benjamin!
          (Dorinda gasps)
              DORINDA
Well as long as you are doing well then I am fine with it.
              CHERRY
      You won't tell Aimwell?
              DORINDA
               Nope!
              CHERRY
               Good.
              DORINDA
(Sighs) Cherry I am so sorry if Aimwell and I are acting like your parents.
              CHERRY
It's fine even though Aimwell is a bit up there.
             DORINDA
Yes Aimwell is definitely the stubborn kind of guy (She laughs) but I know that deep inside he is much more than that... So I don't suppose you met that husband that Aimwell wanted for you...
              CHERRY
Actually Dorinda I did meet someone. There's this boy who works at the theatre named Casper. He loves playwriting and he is very attractive. He is actually going to show me around the theatre tomorrow.
              DORINDA
Oh Cherry that's wonderful! Perhaps if all goes well then he can join us for dinner.
              CHERRY
     But he thinks I am a boy!
              DORINDA
      Give it a shot Cherry.
         (They both laugh.)
Scene 4
(The theatre. Casper is showing Cherry the backstage area.)
               CASPER
And last but certainly not least, this is how you control the curtain.
       (Casper gives an example.)
              CHERRY
      Wow! That is amazing!
              CASPER
Well I am really glad that I got to spend some time with you today Benjamin.
              CHERRY
      I am really glad too.
               CASPER
Just think I could back here doing the curtains for your show in a few months.
              CHERRY
So long as Stacks approves of it.
        (Stacks rushes in.)
               STACKS
Benjamin! I have exciting news! I enjoyed your play so much that I have decided to make it our next mainstage show! It will premiere this winter! (Shakes Cherry's hand) Congratulations son you'll go far in life.
            (Stacks exits)
              CHERRY
         Oh my goodness!
               CASPER
          He approved it!
      (Cherry and Casper hug)
              CASPER
I'll be by your side no matter what! I'll help with the staging, the lights-
              CHERRY
              Casper?
              CASPER
               Yes?
              CHERRY
Would you like to come over to my house for dinner tomorrow night? Just to celebrate?
               CASPER
            ... Sure. I'd love to.
              CHERRY
Great! Here is my address! (She hands a small slip of paper) I will see you tomorrow night!
               CASPER
          I will be there!
            (Cherry exits)
               CASPER
    Is he... No I do not think so!
Scene 5
(Cherry is back in her regular clothes and is trying to find her way home through the crowded town. Suddenly she is snatched from the crowd. She is taken to an alley way.)
              CHERRY
         Let me go! Help!
              BONIFACE
        Shh! Cherry keep it down!
   (Cherry looks up and sees that it's her father.)
              CHERRY
              Father?
              BONIFACE
Yes it is me. I am sorry that we have to reunite like this Cherry but as you know I cannot be seen... I just want to let you know that I learned my lesson. My days of robbery are over.
             CHERRY
  Father I wish I could believe you.
              Boniface
No really! I was away because I needed to get some help. I needed a spiritual guiding into understanding my morals.
              CHERRY
That sounds interesting but I refuse to buy it.
              BONIFACE
Cherry I know you're disguising yourself as a man so you could get your play presented. And I thought those we're all silly little figments but you have made a career out of yourself. I'm so proud of you.
          (Boniface tries to hug Cherry but she pushes him aside.
             CHERRY
That's it? Father don't talk to me unless I you can actually prove yourself (Cherry starts to leave.)
             BONIFACE
              Cherry!
             CHERRY
        Don't follow me!
             BONIFACE
I will prove it to you my dear daughter! I am a changed man!

 


ACT 2
Scene 1
(Cherry and Dorinda are getting ready for dinner. Cherry is excited but Dorinda is a little bit nervous. )
               CHERRY
I am in such delight! I cannot wait for Casper to arrive! Let me go put those clothes on!
              DORINDA
Cherry wait! There is something that I must tell you.
               CHERRY
        What is the matter?
              DORINDA
Cherry there's been a slight change of plans tonight. Casper can still join us but Aimwell received a letter and he is inviting a couple of friends who are in town to have dinner tonight.
              CHERRY
               Oh...
              DORINDA
As a matter of fact those friends are Archer and my sister.
               CHERRY
           (Gasps) Oh no!
              DORINDA
I believe I can assume that you are not going to be taking this well.
             CHERRY
Do you believe I am going too far?
             DORINDA
        What do you mean?
             CHERRY
I mean Archer is going to be here and he is going to find out that I am in love with another man but I'm in disguise and (Emotionally) Oh Dorinda what do I do?
             DORINDA
You just have to follow the flow Cherry. Archer didn't know my sister for that long until they got married. He loves her very much and you respect her. I'm sure Archer will be happy to know that you might have found love. I believe he really cares about you.
             CHERRY
    (Sighs) We'll have to see.
    (A knock at the door is heard.)
              DORINDA
          I will get it!
(Dorinda opens the door and Archer and Mrs. Sullen enter.)
             DORINDA
Oh my goodness! How was your trip?
             MRS. SULLEN
      It was fine thank you.
    (Dorinda and Mrs. Sullen hug)
             MRS. SULLEN
Cherry it is so good to see you!
     (Cherry and Mrs. Sullen hug)
             ARCHER
            Cherry?
    (Cherry and Archer hug)
             CHERRY
           I missed you.
            Archer
          I missed you too.
            DORINDA
  How about we go talk to Aimwell, sister?
   (Dorinda and Mrs. Sullen go upstairs.)
             ARCHER
There is so much that I have been needing to tell you.
             CHERRY
             Me too.
SCENE 2
(Archer and Cherry are having a conversation in the living room.)
              CHERRY
  So the baby is due in March?
             ARCHER
   Yes we are very excited.
             CHERRY
Well congratulations. I am so happy for both of you.
              ARCHER
Thank you Cherry... So what have you been up to?
             CHERRY
          Um.. not much.
             ARCHER
             Really?
             CHERRY
I just tend to spend a lot of time with Dorinda and Aimwell.
             ARCHER
Well I'm sure not all of your time. I hear there is a man that will be joining us this evening.
              CHERRY
Yes well he works at a theatre and he loves to write plays.
             ARCHER
  Oh so the theatre excites you?
              CHERRY
             Oh yes.
             ARCHER
So I am sure that he is a good person to be around with.
              CHERRY
Yeah... Look it is actually a bit more than that. I am finding myself to be... attracted to him... so.... if you-
              ARCHER
I understand why you're a bit nervous. It's the first time seeing each other since we ended our relationship and I got married. However I don't want you to fret about it too much. I am very happy that you found a man that you enjoy being around with. Who knows? This could be the man you marry!
             CHERRY
(She smiles) Thank you. I actually feel much better now.
            ARCHER
I shouldn't have told you about-
            CHERRY
No! I am very glad that you told me! I am here to support you!
            ARCHER
          Same to you.
     (Cherry and Archer hug)
             CHERRY
Would it bother you if I wore men's clothes tonight?
            ARCHER
   Why would you want to do that?
            CHERRY
That was how I got into the theatre.
            ARCHER
Oh well then it is fine with me then!
Scene 3
(Dorinda is setting the table. Aimwell is sitting down and talking to Archer and Mrs. Sullen.)
             AIMWELL
I am glad that you two could make it tonight.
             ARCHER
Well, thank you for inviting us Aimwell.
(Suddenly Cherry enters in her disguise.)
             AIMWELL
  Cherry what are you doing!?
              CHERRY
Did Dorinda forget to tell you? It's a costume party!
              DORINDA
  Oh sorry darling I completely forgot!
             AIMWELL
Well can you put your costume on after dinner and play games later?
(A knock at the door is heard. Cherry answers and Casper enters.)
             CHERRY
  It is so good to see you Casper! Let me introduce you to everyone.
(Cherry and Casper go around for introductions. They finally reach Aimwell.
             CHERRY
Casper this is my friend Aimwell.
             AIMWELL
      Where's your costume?
              CASPER
               Huh?
              CHERRY
What a sense of humor he has! Let us just sit down and say a prayer before eating.
    (Everybody sits down except for Aimwell who stands up to lead the prayer.)
             AIMWELL
God we humbly thank you for this food, for these friends, for compassion-
     (A knock at the door is heard. Aimwell stops the prayer and answers the door. It is Boniface.)
            AIMWELL
        Oh no! Not you!
            CHERRY
    I'll take care of him!
            BONIFACE
Cherry! Wait until you hear this!
           CASPER
           Cherry?
           AIMWELL
Well you know the truth now sir!
           BONIFACE
I wanted to prove to you that I have changed!
           CASPER
         Who is he?
          CHERRY
     My estranged father.
          BONIFACE
I bought tickets for all of us to go see your new show! I bought 50 tickets! The rest I gave to the poor. They need a night out.
          AIMWELL
       Your what!?
          CHERRY
(Sighs) It looks like I have to confess... I really wanted to write plays but Aimwell wouldn't let me. He was concerned because I am a girl. So I disguised myself as a boy named Benjamin. The owner of the theatre loves my play. It's going to be the winter mainstage show.
          BONIFACE
Aimwell she is amazing. She is truly gifted.
          CHERRY
Father I am so thankful for what you did to help me.
     (Cherry and Boniface hug.)
          CASPER
You know, the boss is quite hard to please.
          AIMWELL
... Why don't you join us for dinner Boniface and we can talk all about it.
         BONIFACE
I would be delighted to.
(Boniface sits down at the table.)
Scene 4
(Dorinda is cleaning up and most of the guests are leaving. Aimwell strikes a conversation with Cherry.)
         AIMWELL
  Cherry I owe you an apology.
         CHERRY
It is fine. Men tend to make assumptions about women.
        AIMWELL
Yes but it is not right. You can possibly change the world of playwriting. Women should never be underestimated (Walking towards Dorinda) Or taken advantage of.
(Aimwell and Dorinda kiss.)
        DORINDA
Would you like to help me clean up?
       AIMWELL
       Sure.
(Aimwell and Dorinda exit. Casper approaches Cherry.)
       CASPER
So you are a female playwright with an estranged father.
       CHERRY
Pretty much.... If you never want to see me again then I-
       CASPER
Are you insane!? Cherry I think you are incredible. You have so much courage and ambition. I also think you are very accepting.
       CHERRY
Really? Thanks... I think you're pretty incredible too.
      CASPER
Cherry would you like to go out for dinner on Friday? Just the two of us?
      CHERRY
Yes! I'd love to!
     CASPER
Great! Will I see you tomorrow at the theatre Benjamin?
     CHERRY
    Indeed you will.
(Cherry and Casper hug. Casper then starts to leave but turns around.)
    CASPER
You know, Cherry is a beautiful name
            THE END


      

        


             

 


             

              
             
     
          

 

 

 

 


              
 


The author's comments:

A sequel to the play The Beaux’ Stratagem