Stars and Stripes for Death | Teen Ink

Stars and Stripes for Death

June 13, 2018
By TheaterChick16 GOLD, Wethersfield, Connecticut
TheaterChick16 GOLD, Wethersfield, Connecticut
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you want a place in the sun, you have to expect a few blisters" - Loretta Young



Characters: William- A 21-year-old soldier. New to war. He is innocent and curious about what’s going on around him.
Benjamin- Also 21 and new to war but more prepared due to having a general as his father. Appears to be handsome and bold but doesn’t have much time left.
Setting: The Battle of Lexington, 1775


(LIGHTS UP on a battlefield. The Patriots and Redcoats are at war. Guns and shouting is heard and they head towards each other. William, a new soldier, is frightened and keeps trying to escape the action).
WILLIAM: (To himself) I wish to return home. I wish to return home.
(Soon William is by himself with the noise fading into the background. William realizes that he is lost and begins silently weeping).
WILLIAM: (To himself) Oh why was I made to fight today?
BENJAMIN: To defend our land perhaps?
(Benjamin is lying in the grass. He is severely wounded).
WILLIAM: My God what happened to you?
BENJAMIN: (Struggling to breathe at times) The redcoats… They got me.
WILLIAM: (Kneeling down to Benjamin) O the bleeding drops of red!
BENJAMIN: Yes… another one is about to bite the dust in this battle.
WILLIAM: No! You need help!
BENJAMIN: There isn’t any kind of help that we can turn to… It’s every man for himself.
WILLIAM: Oh well why is that so? Do they really expect us to lose our lives today?
BENJAMIN: It’s likely… but our men… we’re close to independence… they want us to protect that first and foremost.
WILLIAM: It just isn’t fair.
BENJAMIN: That all the men must fight? I understand that… but I’m willing… to make a sacrifice…
WILLIAM: Show no fear. I’ll stand by you.
BENJAMIN: Thank you… my family… they’ll be at loss…
WILLIAM: I know. But you will die a hero.
BENJAMIN: My father does not feel my arm… he has no pulse nor will.
WILLIAM: I’m so sorry.
(William holds Benjamin’s hand)
BENJAMIN: What is your name?
WILLIAM: William.
BENJAMIN: Benjamin (He slowly shakes William’s hand) Is this your first battle?
WILLIAM: And my only I hope.
BENJAMIN: This was my first as well… William… I know you’re scared… I know you were forced into this… But you’re here for a solid, good reason.
WILLIAM: For what?
BENJAMIN: To make history… with our brothers of Lexington… This fight could save us all… We were the chosen ones… this I learned from my father.
(Benjamin grips onto William)
BENJAMIN: My fate may be to die for us… but you have been granted to go on… Promise me William… You must stay on… Help the patriots… Help us win… No matter how long it takes… Someone must provide a future.
WILLIAM: (While taking a deep breath) I promise Benjamin.
BENJAMIN: You’re one of the good ones… William.
(Benjamin then dies in William’s arms. William is distraught but knows he must listen to Benjamin. He lifts Benjamin up and starts to carry him piggy back style. He has his gun out to protect him and Benjamin’s dead body)
WILLIAM: I will fight! I will fight for Benjamin and everyone in Lexington! For the colonies!
(Williams returns to the battle as the noise from the battle begins to increase again. BLACKOUT).