The Last One | Teen Ink

The Last One

By S_Sawyer BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania
S_Sawyer BRONZE, Carbondale, Pennsylvania

Today was like any other day, or so it seemed. My family and I were on our way back from our vacation to the beach we take every year, but as we entered town, everyone seemed so different. They were emotionless, even though they looked like the people I grew up with who were always laughing and smiling.

“Hey, Athena can you hand me the bag of chips?” My younger brother Apollo asked as I stared out the window, confused with the blandness of my neighbors.

“Can’t you wait until we get home? We are a block away.” I said as I turned to him.

“But I’m hungry now. Can I please just have the bag?” He complained in his childish voice with his big blue puppy dog eyes.

“Ugh, fine. Here.” I grumbled as I handed him the bag.

“Thank you.” He said before he took a handful of chips and shoved it in his mouth. “You’re the best.” He mumbled with a mouthful of crumbling potato chips falling out of his mouth.

I go back to staring out the window as we turn onto my street. I then notice my little brother’s friend just standing on the sidewalk staring into the car with grey eyes that looked like they were staring into your soul.

“Hey Jasper!” Apollo yelled as he waved at his friend.

“Apollo, he can’t hear you. The window is up and even if he could, it doesn’t look like he wants to talk to anyone.” I said as I continued to look out the window.

“Maybe he’s just sick.” Apollo said as he continued to munch on the chips.

Apollo could be right. I mean the kid is wearing black pants with a long sleeve black shirt in the middle of summer. I thought to myself as we pulled into the driveway. And he had dark gray bags under his eyes. He must be sick or at least something must be wrong.

“Athena get out of the car and help grab these bags please.” My mom asked as she began to take the bags out of the trunk.

I reluctantly begin to take my bags inside and up to my room. I start unpacking my stuff and once finished I head downstairs and out ot the car to help my parents with the rest of our stuff. I reach the car but no one is there. Maybe they’re inside. I thought as I begin to walk back inside my house. I check every room but I cannot find anyone. No mom, no dad, and no Apollo.

“Mom! Dad! Apollo!” I yell as I walk frantically around the house and outside to the car again. “Hey!” I yell as I see two people approaching me from down the end of the street. “Have either of you seen my parents?” I ask as I see them take something out of their pockets.

They don’t look right. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before. I thought as I begin to make my way back into my house while still keeping my eyes on them. I then see them start to pick up their pace and I start to run into my house. They begin chasing me as I slam the front door and lock it. I then run up to my room and barade the door with my dresser. In a panic as I hear my front door being kicked in, I close myself in my closet and climb up onto the shelf inside and hide behind the bins. I then hear my bedroom door open and the dresser being pushed aside. I cover my mouth with my hands as my heart begins to beat so loudly I am sure they can hear it.

I can feel them getting close to my closet. The one opens the door and I can feel his eyes looking for me.

“There’s nothing in here!” The one says to the other that is looking underneath my bed.

“Nothing here either.” Just then one of their walkie talkies goes off. “Come on let’s go. We have other matters to attend to. She isn’t worth it. We can just get her later. She’s probably hiding in that closet that you suck at looking at.” The one says disgusted at the other.

They leave but I notice they have a red mark on their forearms. It looks engraved in them. What the heck does that mean? I thought as I climbed down cautiously from the shelf. I look at how far my dresser is pushed to the side. No way a human could do that. They can’t be human. It all started to make sense now. No emotions, no normal body reaction to the heat, sunken in eyes, nonhuman strength, and that red mark on their forearm. These thoughts raced through my head. If these creatures aren’t human, then where is my family? I questioned myself. I knew I had to find someone. Maybe my aunt was still around and at her shop downtown.

I changed into clothes to look more like them so I could blend in. I made sure I put my black leather jacket on over my gray tank top so I could cover my forearm so they did not realize I did not have the mark. I already had sunken eyes with bags underneath them from being a typical teenager and not sleeping. All I had to do was to remember to be emotionless. Easier said than done when your scared for your life.

I laced up my black combat boots over my black jeans and headed out my front door, or should I say doorway since my door was flown across the room, and head towards downtown. When I  reached the town, everyone I knew were copycats of their former selves. They all looked like those creeps that tried to kidnap me. Everyone I passed made me feel like they knew I did not belong. I just manage to make it into my aunt’s shop without letting my emotions show. I then see her and run straight towards her giving her a giant hug. 

“Thank god you’re not one of those awful things. I can’t find mom or dad or Apollo and I don’t know what to do.” I say on the verge of tears as I let all of my emotions run free.

She pushed me off of her and I realize she is one of them as well. Soon enough the whole shop turns and looks at me. It is like one of those scenes in scary movie but instead it is real life. I freeze for a split second but then decide to run out the door as they follow behind me. I try to cut down an alleyway but realize it is just a dead end. They begin to corner me. My heart is racing so fast I am sure it is just about to burst out of my chest. In fact, I wish it would just so it could end my misery of having a slow painful death. I crouch down and cover my face with my arms and close my eyes as I hear a voice overhead.

“Hey! Up here!” I look up to see a guy yelling as he is lowering a ladder from the fire exit of an apartment building. “Climb up! You can trust me! I promise!” Without much of an option I do so. “Come on this way.” He takes my hand and guides me through the apartment building and out the back door.

He lets go of my hand as we begin running through the streets with the swarm of the human like creatures chasing us. I follow behind this complete stranger I am trusting my life with as he leads us into the woods and into an abandoned trailer.

“Here.” He drags me in and blocks the door. “Now be very quiet. Don’t say a word, don’t breathe loudly, and don’t let your emotions take over too much. They can sense them.” he whispers to me as I shake my head in agreement and crouch on the floor. 

I feel my heart beating loudly as I hear twigs and branches snap outside. I start to breathe heavy to calm myself down.

“Relax.” He whispers so quietly I could barely hear him.

He crouches down next to me and looks at me with intense eyes. I begin to feel the sweat roll down my face. Outside the footsteps get closer but soon enough though they begin to fade.

“I think they’re gone.” He whispers a little louder than before as he stands up.

“Thank you. You really saved me back there.” I say finally catching my breath.

“You’re welcome. My name is Ezekiel.” He says as he extends his hand for me to shake. “But everyone calls me Zeke.”

“Athena.” I say and shake his hand. “I don’t think I’ve seen you here before.”

“No, you probably haven’t. I’m kinda new here.” He says letting go of my hand.

“So, do you know what’s going on?” I ask still a little unsure and on edge.

He hesitates before saying, “All I know is that they came a few days ago and took over this town.”

“So, you wouldn’t know where my family would be, would you?” I ask with concern.

“The only guess I would have would be that they are at the headquarters.” He says as he begins to open the trailer door.

“Headquarters?” I ask all confused.

“Yes, where their leader is.” He says leaving the trailer as I follow right behind.

“And do you know where the headquarters are?” I ask.

“Yes, but I can’t take you there.” He says turning his back towards me.

“Why not? I need to find my family.” I say with concern in my voice.  

He begins to walk away faster. I pick up my pace but then he begins to jog and I run after him.

“Stop!” I yell grabbing his wrist to turn him to face me.

“Quiet down. They might still be out here.” He says as I look down and see the edge of the red mark on his forearm.

“You’re one of them. You’re one of those creatures.” I say in disbelief and panic.

“Relax. I’m not like them. Trust me.” He says as he grabs me in order to calm me down.

“No! Let go!” I yell pulling away from him.

“Sshh. You’re gonna get us caught.” He whispers.

“No! I don’t care. I trusted you and you were one of them the entire time.” I say backing away from him.

“You can trust me. I’m not them. I went against them. So, if you keep yelling, you are going to get both of us caught.” He says inching towards me.

“Stay away!” I yell and run away from him.

I run into the woods not even looking back. I hear another set of footsteps following me. Thinking it is Zeke, I keep running until I am halted by one of the creatures from before. Putting on my brakes, stumbling backwards, almost falling on my back, I stare in shock at the man looking creature in front of me. Soon enough the other one is behind me. I back up into a tree as the two corner me.

“See, told you we would find her.” The one on the right said to the other on the left.

I begin to feel my heart beating faster again, almost out of control, as they get closer to me. I feel sweat racing down my face. I look around for an escape, but there is none. I am trapped. They inch closer to me with big grins on their faces. All of a sudden, I hear what sounds like the sound of a taser going off and see the one on the left fall to the ground. Standing behind him is Zeke holding what looks like a gun from one of those sci-fi movies. The one on the right looks towards Zeke and pulls out a similar looking gun. 

“Run!” Zeke yells.

I do as I am told and dart towards where I came from before, knowing that is the only place I know where to hide. Behind me as I leave I hear the sound of the gun going off like tasers. Don’t look back. Keep going. Keep looking forward.  I say to myself. I run as fast as I can sweat pouring down my face and down my back. Why did I where these clothes? Why didn’t I just stay hidden? A million thoughts like these race through my head. I stumble through the woods as tree branches hit my shoulders and scratch my face. I start to hear footsteps crunching tree leaves and twigs behind me. In a panic, I hide behind a giant tree. My heart is pounding out of my chest. I hear my heartbeat in my ear drums tuning out the sound of the footsteps. I start to hyperventilate when a hand grabs my arm. I scream in terror and fall to the ground.

“Hey, it’s okay. It’s me.” Zeke says crouching down to relax me.

“Why would you do that?!” I yell still panicking.

“I wanted to make sure you stopped.” Zeke replies.

“I’m sure there are other ways than grabbing arm, like I don’t know, saying my name to get me to stop.” I say all irritated as I begin to slowly calm down and get up.

“I’m sorry.” Zeke says as he helps pick me up.

“So, what was all of that back there? Why did you save me?” I ask as I brush myself off. 

“Those are what they call lookers or searchers. They collect all of you guys, you humans, and take them to the headquarters to destroy them. I saved you so that didn’t happen.” Zeke says as he starts walking away.

“Wait! So, you know where the headquarters are?” I ask trying to catch up to him.

“Yes, and no, I will not take you there.” Zeke replies.

“Why not?! I need to find my family and I need your help to do so. Please help me.” I beg.

“I can’t even if I wanted to. I was banned from the headquarters. If I step one foot in there, they will kill me.” Zeke says as he continues to walk away from me. “Plus, I already helped you twice now and you haven’t done anything for me.” He says as he stops and turns to me.

“If you are so bitter that I haven’t helped you, then why would you help me?” I ask frustrated and irritated.

“Because that’s why I left the headquarters. I wanted to help humans because I didn’t think it was fair that this was your planet and we came here to take it from you while destroying you in the process.” Zeke says looking somewhat ashamed at what his people have done.

“Okay, well, help me. Do what you have planned to do. How long do I have until my family is destroyed?” I ask concerned.

“Forty-eight hours since they had been taken. Which would had started?” Zeke asks as he looks at me suggesting I finish the statement.

“Three hours ago.” I say as I look at my watch.

“Okay, now what time is it now?” Zeke asks as I continue to look at my watch.

“Six.” I reply.

“So, you have until tomorrow at six to get at least half-way to three fourths of the way there. That gives you some time to finish getting there and find your family.” He says as he begins to walk away again.

“Wait, don’t you mean we?” I ask as I grab his arm to turn him to face me. “Because I can’t find this place on my own. I have no idea where I’m going.”

“Didn’t I just tell you I can’t go near the headquarters without risking my life?” He asks irritated at me.

“Yes, but aren’t you already risking your life being by me right now and going against your people  in the first place?” I ask not giving up my fight.

Zeke looks at me for a while then huffs as he says, “Fine, I’ll help you. However, I will not be stepping foot on the ground of the headquarters. So, all I am doing is bringing you to the secret passage way and that is it. No begging when we get there for me to come in with you, understand?”

“Yes, I understand and once I get there I can handle myself.” I say a little offended by the words that just came out of his mouth. “For your information, I’m not some pity damsel in distress.”

“Really? Is that so?” Zeke asks teasing me.

“Yes, I’m just not used to what is going on. It’s kinda like a nightmare that I can’t wake up from.” I reply looking down at the ground to avoid making eye contact with Zeke.

I look back up just in time to see Zeke’s smile fade. “I’m sorry. This shouldn’t be happening to you or any of your people.” 

“Why is it then?” I ask curiously.

“Where I came from, our planet was on the verge of exploding. So, we had the technology to freeze a handful of us while others controlled the space ship until we found another habitable place to live. It took over hundreds of years, but we finally found earth and according to our calculations, it was perfect. So, we unfroze everyone who was frozen and our leader decided to want to destroy the humans because he believed that both us and humans couldn’t live on the same planet.” Zeke says looking at me waiting for me to respond.

“So, every human will be destroyed?” I manage to spit out of my mouth.

“Yes.” Zeke says beginning to walk in the opposite direction as before. “Come on, this way. The sooner we get going, the better chance we have at finding your family.”

We walk through the woods for a couple of hours in silence. It is beginning to get dark out. I look at my watch and it is eight thirty at night.

“Shouldn’t we find a spot to stay for the night?” I ask Zeke who is three to four steps in front of me.

“Yes, we are almost in the next town. I’m sure we can find a place there.” Zeke says as I see a strip of road at the edge of the woods.

We make it into the town and find an apartment building. Everything is vacant. No people. No animals. Nothing. Just silence. We go inside and take an apartment. I get myself as comfortable as I can as Zeke barricades the door.

“There. We should be able to hear if anyone is trying to get in.” Zeke says as he finishes pushing a couch to block the door.

I sit down on the ground with my knees up to my chest, “It’s so quiet here.”

“Yeah, they’re moving across the towns faster than what I thought.” Zeke says turning to me.

“How long do you think it will take until the entire planet is taken over?” I ask with fear rising in my voice.

“Depends.” He says as he sits down next to me. “I wouldn’t worry about that. Just relax and focus on saving your family.”

“How can I when I’m probably going to die anyway.” I say frustrated and angry.

“You’re not going to die. There are more of my people out there that want to work with humans.” Zeke says looking into my eyes. “I know that somehow my leader will be stopped.”

I look away off into the distance of the room as I say, “So, do you have any family?”

“Sort of.” Zeke hesitates before finishing. “My mother passed away when I was little and my father didn’t want anything to do with me.”

“Oh.” I stop feeling bad for asking in the first place. “Do you have any siblings?”

“No.” He says with a cold expression on his face, then he turns to me and asks, What about you? Do you have any siblings?”

“Yes.” I smile. “A little annoying brother.” I laugh as I turn and look at Zeke who looks confused. “What?” I ask.

“That noise that’s coming out of your mouth.” Zeke says still confused.

“You mean my laugh?” I say taken aback a little.

“Yes. I have never heard it before. I mean I have smiled and understand smiling but not laughing.” He says looking at me in wonder.

“You have never heard anyone laugh before?” I ask in shock. 

“No. I don’t know if you have noticed, but my people don’t use emotions very often.” Zeke says looking away.

“Oh, I’ve noticed. It’s kinda creepy. How can you live without having emotions? It’s just unbelievable. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t laugh when my brother did something or when even I do something stupid and I laugh at myself.” I say as I look at him.

“Well, emotions aren’t always happy. That’s why we stopped showing them.” Zeke responds as he still looks at the wooden floor boards.

Without knowing how to respond to that, we both sit in silence for a while until I break it by saying I was going to get some sleep. I head off into the room and begin to wrap my head around the events that has happened to me today. After carefully analysing the events, I begin to plan how I am going to save my family. Maybe I could just try to talk to their leader. No, that won’t work. Oh, maybe I could just sneak in, find them and run. Hopefully we won’t get caught. I think to myself before my thoughts start going out of control. What if we get caught though? What if I get caught before I even have a chance to find them? What then? Before my brain starts to malfunction, i decide to rest my eyes and hopefully fall asleep.

I wake up the next morning with the sun shining into the window. I leave the room and see Zeke moving the couch out of the way of the doorway. I begin looking for food in the cupboards which feels weird since I’m eating someone else’s food. I manage to find some cereal and just eat it right out of the box.

“Come on. We have to go if we want to make it in time.” Zeke says as he tries to take away the box of cereal, but I pull it away from him. “Fine, just take it with you then.”

We head out and soon enough I check my watch and it is six. Great. Only twenty-four more hours left and I have no idea where we are going or how much longer it is going to take. I think to myself as I am trailing Zeke a couple feet behind.

“Can you relax back there. I can sense your worrying all the way up here and if I can sense others can sense it too.” Zeke turning his head back to look at me as he continues to walk.

“Easier said than done. How much longer is it going to take to get there?” I ask still worried that we won’t make it in time.

“Not much longer. Maybe find a place to rest for the night and in the morning we should be there. If someone wasn’t walking so slow we would be there faster.” Zeke says as he stops and turns around to wait for me to catch up.

“Well, I apologize for having racing thoughts that keep running through my brain making me unable to focus on walking.” I say all bitter.

“Calm down. I was just joking.” He says as he turns away to start walking again.

“I’m sorry. This isn’t a time for me to take jokes right now.” I say walking beside him.

We walk in silence until nightfall and find a place to rest. We take refuge in a small house on a corner of a street. As soon as we enter I immediately look for something to eat since I had not had anything since the cereal I ate in the morning. I finally find another box of cereal in a cupboard. Great. I guess I’m just living off of cereal for the rest of my life. I thought as I opened the box.

I finish half the box of cereal and find a bedroom to rest as thoughts of my family race through my head again. Just a few more hours and I’ll be able to see them, hopefully. What if I don’t? No, I can’t think like that. I will find them and I will see them again. I thought as I began to fall asleep. 

The next morning we head out and in a few short hours we reach the entrance to a tunnel that is surrounded by bushes and trees. It looks impossible to get it, except there is a small opening.

“Here. This is where you have to go and this is where I leave you.” Zeke says as his arm is extended towards the entrance of the tunnel.

“This is it?” I question looking at the entrance. “How am I supposed to see anything with it so dark?”

“Here.” Zeke says as he hands me a flashlight. “Take this.”

“Thank you.” I say taking the flashlight from his hand.

“Good luck. I hope you find your family.” Zeke says as he turns around to walk away.

“I hope so too.” I say as a take a deep breath. “Well, here goes nothing.” I let out with a sigh.

I begin to enter the dark tunnel. “Wait!” I yell to get Zeke’s attention. “Will I see you again?”

“Maybe. I’m sure I’ll find you. You seem to get yourself into a lot of trouble.” Zeke says turning to face me.

I laugh as I turn back around to continued entering the tunnel. I turn on the flashlight on the pitch black enclosed space. The smell of mildew fills my nose as I hear what sounds like rats running about. My heart begins to race. I take deep breaths to calm myself down. Relax. I say to myself. They’re going to find you if you don’t. I slowly creep forward trying not to make too much noise. I then notice a small metal door at the end of the tunnel. I put my hand on the doorknob as my heart pounds in my chest. I go to open the door when I feel someone grab me from behind. In a panic, I start thrashing around and drop the flashlight. Not being able to see makes my heart beat even faster. Then all of a sudden I feel a sting in the back of my neck. I feel my head spinning and my senses begin to fade. I start to fall down and that’s all I remember.

I feel myself begin to wake again. I first hear clinking of pipes and try to move but my wrists are tied down with rope and I am sitting up in a chair. I slowly open my eyes and see an empty room with the only light shining in the middle of the room coming from computer monitors on the wall.

“Well, well, well. Aren’t you just a pretty little thing.” A man’s voice echoed through the room.

“Where are you?” I ask looking around in fear.

“Right here.” The man says as he appears from behind me. “You know, you were quite a problem. Had to have my best looker go out and get you.”

“Where’s my family?” I ask angrily.

“Don’t worry you will be with them soon.” The man says as he stands in front of me.

“What do you mean?” I ask confused.

“They’re dead and soon you’ll be too. You see, I’m going to do tests on you because you humans are so strange. It’s amazing really.” He replies as he starts to pace around me.

I sit there whipping my head around trying to keep my eyes on the man. At the same time a guy emerges from the darkness on the edge of the room.

“There he is the man of the hour.” The man circling me says.

“Zeke?!” I say in disbelief.

“I’m sorry, but I have a job I have to do, right father?” Zeke says as he looks at the man who has now stopped circling me.   

“Of course my son and you did a very good job. Now, bring that tray over here and get her that shot.” The man says.

“Wait! No! Stop!” I yell as I try to squirm out of the chair.

The two of them get closer. The man who once circled me is now pinning me down as Zeke shoves the needle in my arm. The next thing I know it is all black. Then, I wake up screaming with my body sweating all over the place.

“Athena! Athena!” I hear my little brother Apollo yell as he comes up the stairs. “You need to help mom unload the car.” He says as he bursts into my room.

“Okay. Tell her I’ll be down in a second.” I say as I try to relax my pounding heartbeat.

Apollo leaves the room and I wipe some of the sweat off of my face. It was just a nightmare. I must have fallen asleep in the middle of unpacking my bags. I think to myself as I begin to walk down the stairs to help my mom get the rest of the bags from out of the car.