The Story of Aurora | Teen Ink

The Story of Aurora

There was a time when I lived free from any battles, curses, and torture. I was the princess of Dreamland Kingdom and stood beside my mother and father while they dictated our home. My parents were very strong leaders, and were great examples to our citizens, leaving a path for me in the future. Unfortunately our lives weren’t always magnificent. On my father’s side of the family we had nothing to do with their wickedness and avoided them as much as we could. My grandmother did not want my father to marry my mother, who came from a gentle and warm home, but wanted him to be evil. My Aunt Ester was supposed to reign as the next queen since she didn’t have another daughter. However, when my father became King after my grandfather deceased, that made my mother Queen and it was meant to be passed down to me. Aunt Ester was ferocious and wished a horrible curse on my family that made our Kingdom dark, gloomy, and mysterious. The trees stood rotten and twisted, the grass was grey, and it was like all of the color was sucked out of our home. In the woods where children once found fun,  lurked things unheard of, and no one dared to enter them. Along with the curse, my Aunt Ester became Queen but she was evil, the curse didn’t satisfy her heart ;  she wanted more. She once told me “If you ever stand in my  way child, you will regret it with everything you have in you. I promise.” What my Aunt doesn’t know is that when I was born I gained power from all of them in a different way. They will always be apart of me and our magic runs deep. I will not let her keep destroying my home and my people. Now it’s time to fight back. 

Thunder woke me out of my deep sleep, snatching me out of my bed. Once I opened my eyes, my beloved cousin, Posie, stared back at me with a smirk. “Cousin it is time, the woods are open we must do it now” I used my magic to tie my hair into a bun, sighing during the process. “Posie, my bags are packed in my quarters,” Posie giggled hysterically and my silk bag appeared in her hand. “You know I wouldn’t forget, this bag hold our prize weapon.” Posie and I had always been close since we were brought into this world. She was my mother’s late sister’s daughter. My family took her in ofcourse, nourishing her since she could remember. Although, when her mother died from her sickness, she left a video of memories in Posie’s mind so she could always see her mother. “Ok Posie, you’re right it’s our time to go.” We set into the deep, mysterious woods that were full of unheard animals. The trees glared down at us coldly as we passed them. We were on our way to my Aunt Ester’s side to retrieve the magic that belonged to us and our people. Once the wand is retrieved and the magic is restored, our Kingdom will become beautiful again and all of the good memories our people cherished will return. Aunt Ester’s curse wiped away every good memory they had except for us, she wanted us to suffer and remember the good times. “Aurora watch it!” Posie ducked and I followed as a dark bird flew under the thunder clouds towards us. “RUN!” I shouted at the bird released blood sucking arrows that could drain you, leaving you to die. We curled behind a tree, conserving our magic for the most important part of our day. “ Posie, this is just the beginning cousin.”

I woke up to a canned breakfast of green goo, something my kingdom has been eating for three years straight. “As soon as we make it to the other side we have to get food! I bet it's amazing!” Posie exclaimed. I tried to sit up but noticed that a deep ache took over my leg, leaving me in agony. “Oh yes you got hit last night by an arrow so we crashed here.” I took in the unforgiving woods that surrounded me, wishing that we were closer than before. After our breakfast, we continued and continued taking no breaks. We finally made it to the edge of a cliff, showcasing the better world that no one ever dared to go too. Beneath the cliff were tall buildings covered in purple embellishments and dark windows that no one could see into. The grass gave off a purple glow while glitter, like sparkles floated above it. Fruit hung from dark, black trees and they glowed too, looking delicious. The palace was the biggest building of them all, twisting and turning in every direction. The place was creepily beautiful, you almost couldn’t take your eyes off of it. Posie’s mouth dropped into an “O” and she quickly grabbed my hand her eyes glowing with anticipation. “We have to jump.”

We soared through the sky and soon landed in the purple grass that made your mouth water. I scooped up a handful and tasted it, closing my eyes as the flavors hit my tongue. “You have to try this cousin!” The grass wasn’t necessarily grass. It was sweet and crunchy, and the glitter dissolved onto your tongue. Aunt Ester always loved candy so it wasn’t a surprise. “We have to go,” I prompted but it was too late. Bulky guards covered in dark gear shadowed us. A deep voice reached out and flowed into my ears. “Trespassing. Trespassing indeed. I must now take you to Queen Ester.” The guards snatched us quickly and used a spell to put us to sleep. “Your punishment will be decided by dawn.”

“Posie?” I whispered. “Posie are you there?” “Yes darling she is okay,” a deep, clear voice responded to me within seconds. Wherever I was was pretty dark, the light only coming from three torches. Once my vision cleared, I found Aunt Ester standing next to Posie, tied with a hush spell casted over her mouth. They were behind bars and so was I, on the opposite side of the room. “I always love a visit from my niece. How have you been my dear?” I rolled my eyes and tried to move only finding out that I was tied too. “ No. Let her go, you know exactly why I’m here. I will put a stop to you.” “Oh now Aurora, don’t make me feed my dragon a crisp Posie ear. You should talk nice to your AUnt and set an example for your little cousin!” Ester’s body went through the bars of the cell and she was face to face with me. Her breath was cold and smelled of the sweet candy they called grass around here. “You will not touch her,” I growled. “Shh,” with the wave of her hands the torches went out and all I heard were the screams of my little cousin being taken away. I could not see past the darkness to know where they took her. “Why do you think I’m evil?” her eery laugh echoed through the dark dungeon that held all of my fear. “Get some good night sleep my niece. You have a long day ahead of you.” With that my aunt was gone leaving me by myself. I remembered all the things my father and mother taught me and knew exactly what to do. “Yes it will be a long day,” I chanted to myself, “a long day for you Aunt Ester.”

I was inspired by the Tv show "Once Upon a Time" when I wrote this piece; I just decided to put my twist on it. I wanted to keep it upbeat and interesting.