Voices in my Head | Teen Ink

Voices in my Head

By ...meep BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana
...meep BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana

My music and writing will tell you more about me than I ever will.

Do you ever hear things? That no one else can? Voices? Music? Well, others do too. Listen now and you shall hear the story of one Elizebeth McCoy, a fellow host for the voices. It started off as any other day for Lizzy, with her alarm clock blaring music to wake her up.
     “Ugh! Right in the middle of my dream!” Lizzy cried, pushing her long brown hair out of her blue eyes. Nevertheless, she got up and got ready for school, music playing the whole way through. As she walked down the street to school she continued to hear music but did not think much of it. It was the French Quarter, music was always playing. As she continued walking the music did not die down. Since she was on her way to school she did not realize because she was thinking about her science test.
     “There's Hydrogen and Helium, Then Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon everywhere, Nitrogen all through the air.” The periodic table song began to play and it caused her to stumble a bit. It almost sounded as if it was actually playing. She laughed it off.
     “There is no way it is actually playing. That is crazy. It is just my head.”she thought and continued on. When she got to the school she heard this dubstep like music with some rap. She was intrigued and when she followed the noise she stumbled upon an altercation. There was an almost mediocre fight between two of the older boys, maybe juniors. It was like watching middle schoolers fight as one was constantly dodging, strangely in time with the music, while the other did not catch on.
     “If he is following the music, why does the other guy not use that to his advantage?” she wondered before quickly leaving the scene. Just because the fight was small did not mean there could not be trouble. She then headed to the library where her class was having a last-minute study session. When she got there, she heard some soothing classical music. She found that weird as the library had a rule against music. When she joined her class, she turned to one of her friends and asked,
     “Why is there music?” The student looked at her weird and some other students turned to look at her.
     “What music? There’s no music.” The teacher overheard and walked over,
     “Something wrong ladies?”
     “Lizzy says she’s hearing music.” replied the other girl.
     “Because there is! I can hear it!” Lizzy cried, becoming quite irate. Why would they not listen? It wasn’t like she was 3, she was 13! The teacher looked concerned and turn towards Lizzy.
     “Dear, why don’t you go to the nurse,” she said although she looked frightened.
     “Ugh!” Lizzy groaned but nevertheless did as the teacher asked and walked to the nurse’s office.
     When she got there, she was hit with quite the dilemma. She could tell the nurse the truth and have her think she was crazy to or lie.
     “So, dearie, what seems to be the problem?” the nurse asked.
     Deciding to get some answers, she told the nurse the truth. The nurse went pale before rushing to do some basic tests on here, mainly hearing tests. After not finding anything unusual, the nurse called her parents and gave them a number of a doctor after checking her over. When she got home she was sent to her room so her parents could talk. Lizzy was curious so she sat at the door to hear the conversation. It was mainly her arguing about whether or not she was lying to get attention. That actually made her feel sad that they would assume that. During this time, they also called the doctor and explained what the nurse and Lizzy had told them. The doctor said that there was a possibility that she was not lying and set up an appointment in 2 hours to meet her.
     Lizzy’s parents brought her to the doctor’s office so he could check her for any problems. After the checkup, he sat her and her parents down. Now, Lizzy was zoning out for most of it, as many teenagers do, but one thing quickly caught her attention. He was in the middle of explaining that she had audire carminis when he said something causing her to speak up.
     “Now, I could help her to not hear the music, but to do so would terminate her ability to hear music forever.” he explained.
     “No, I love music!” Lizzy said, making it obvious she was not going to go through with their plan without a fight. After a few minutes of arguing, Lizzy won the right to decide what to do when it involved her treatment for this. Lizzy decided to not make it go away, but to control it instead. She decided to use her music to her advantage but also show that it could do good.
     Of course, word travels quickly when there is gossip and by the time she went back to school everyone knew what was going on. When she returned to school everyone looked at her like she was crazy and admonished her from their sight. Throughout the next week, she began to realize the music changed with her thoughts and could even warn her about situations she was in. She had decided to show that to her gift was good she would help others, so she did. When the music gave her a warning she warned the others, but this came with the price of stress.
     The more she worried about it, the more stressed she was. There also was the fact that people did not always listen to her but there was nothing to do about that. To help relieve her stress she took up singing and was really good. She began to put some covers up on YouTube and became slightly famous, all thanks to her gift. In the end, she was able to take what everyone thought was bad and show its goodness. It does not matter whether or not you have this gift; you too can show good to everyone just as Lizzy did.