The Last War | Teen Ink

The Last War

May 8, 2018
By Adikmanas BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Adikmanas BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chapter 1: The Negotiation


Once upon a time, thousands of years ago, in the land of Haldonia, lived six kingdoms, each in every corner of the world. Dotting the landscape between the kingdoms live small villages with little, if any magic powers. The Mana Crystal in the middle gives each kingdom their magic. The Green Kingdom, in the north-west corner of the world controls Earth magic and is surrounded by forests. The Red Kingdom in the south-east corner, controls fire magic. Their kingdom is surrounded by volcanoes. The White Kingdom in the north-east corner controls air magic, it is surrounded by plains. The Blue Kingdom in the south-west controls water magic and is surrounded by rivers and oceans. The Dark Kingdom in the north controls darkness and no sunlight ever reaches the kingdom. The Light Kingdom in the south controls all forms of light magic and the sun always seems to shine bright on the kingdom. Each kingdom is at war with each other for the Mana Crystal and its ultimate and unlimited magic power.


My name is Kalem-Ki. I`m half-elf, half-dwarf. I just transferred into the Green Kingdom after mastering the magik of the Red Kingdom. Not many people approve of my blood, being a half breed and all, but I make the best of it. I have met with a lot of famous wizards, such as Merlin. He has been my mentor at the Green Kingdom. I met one girl, Selene, that became my best friend and travel buddy. She`s half-dragon-half-human. It`s a miracle she even exists, but I love having her around. She has been the only person, besides me that has gotten along with my pet dragon, Askook. We have been traveling and practicing magic with each other. This is the story of how Selene and I stopped the war and saved the land Haldonia from destruction.


"Hey Selene, I think we finally arrived at the Green Kingdom. You should wake up." I said turning to Selene, who was snuggled up with Askook. "I swear you two could live without me"


"That`s not true, Askook needs you. You have been the only family he has ever had." Selene mumbled, rolling over to look at me.


The cart started to shake and rattle. I peeked my head out of the cover and glanced around each side and say the bandits attacking the driver.


"Selene, stay here. I`ll handle this." I whispered as I readied a fireball in the palm of my hand.


"Are you sure you can handle this by yourself" Selene asked, with a hint of worry in her voice.


"Don`t believe me, watch. I can handle this" I said as I slid out of the cart. I ran out of around the cart and threw the fireball at the closest bandit. He fell as his body ignited and turned to ash. The rest of the bandit group their attention towards me and stared at me. "You know, you should only pick on someone who will actually fight back."


"That Magik. You just came from the Red Kingdom, didn`t you." The chief asked as he came to front of the group.


"That`s right. My name is Kalem-Ki. One of the youngest person to ever master an entire element of a kingdom." I said


"Big deal. Out in the different kingdoms, that doesn`t matter. What matters is that you master whichever element that kingdom represents." The chief stated. "Let`s greet him in the way of the Green Kingdom."
I prepared to cast the Meteor spell, when Selene voice called out to me. "Kalem, no, you can`t do that spell here. We are in the middle of the forest that gives the Green Kingdom their magic. You cast that spell here, you`ll torch the whole place, and that would only start a war" Selene shouted.


"Fine, I`ll just settle for the Fire Orb spell than." I muttered. I change my hands to form the symbol for the Fire Orb spell and push out, casting it. Suddenly me and the bandits are surrounded by a shell of fire, hotter than one million suns. I have an immunity to fire, so I don`t notice the heat. Then the other bandits all fell to the ground all flailing around on the ground and then the silence hits the area. The bandits are just piles of ash being blown away by the wind.


"Kalem, what happened. I didn`t sense your energy, I felt a more sinister presence. I was worried for a second." Selene stated as she put her hand on my shoulder.


"I lost control. I can`t stand others get pushed around. I had to do something about those bandits." I said as I turned to face Selene.


A voice called from behind me, "Halt, you are under arrest for using magic in our kingdom."


I turned to face the voice, to be met by the Green Royal Army and they all had their spears trained on me and was ready to impale me. I simply put my hands behind my head and knelt, so the chief could put his handcuffs on me. The Chief put his sealers on my wrist and hauled me to my feet and pushed me to the entrance to the Green Kingdom. I glanced back towards Selene and Askook as they trailed behind.


"What am I getting arrested for?" I asked, still fired up from the fight.


"You are under arrest for potential danger to the Green Kingdom. Assault and battery. And sage of Red Magik outside our kingdom." The Chief stated.


"I was only defending myself and the driver. How is that assault and battery? Was I supposed to just let us die?" I snapped at the chief.


"Kalem, calm down, you don’t need to upset the guards. They decide what happens to you in this kingdom." Selene said, with a twinge of worry on her voice.


I instantly calmed down and regained my level head. She has that effect on people. She just has a calming aura about her. "You`re right. I need to keep my cool and not ruin our chances at learning Green Magik."