Dragon Riders | Teen Ink

Dragon Riders

April 26, 2018
By LEH14 SILVER, New City, New York
LEH14 SILVER, New City, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations"


It wasn’t always like this we lived peacefully, free to be anything, to do anything. Six months ago I was a normal teenager living with my mom in an ordinary town never doing anything crazy or wild. Which is how I ended up here... in a life full of misery and suffering. All I wanted was to have some fun, before going off to college. I had my choice of college, at life; but I ruined it. Now there is no peace, no choice, only one thing is certain, this is my life and there is nothing I can do to change it. All I can do now is survive.

 

~


“Logan let’s go!”

“Not yet! I need to try.”

“There's nothing you can do we need to go, NOW!”

“I said not YET!”

“It’s your funeral.”

“Fine, just go.”

As she sprinted away I ran toward the town trying to help as many people as I could. The town, once Pittsburgh, is nothing more than a war zone. Building after building collapsing from the fire that ravaged everything in sight. There were people fleeing, some just standing in awe as their world fell apart right before their very eyes. It was horrifying, there was so much destruction and it was my fault. As I was helping a few people I heard some screaming from inside a building that looked like it was about to topple. I burst through the door again I heard the scream but where it was coming from I couldn’t tell. I searched the entire house, but there was no one. I was about to give up then a burning beam came crashing down on the door and I realized that the fire was starting to surround me. I made a break for a window when I saw where the screaming was coming from a little girl was in the bathroom try to fight the fire with a little bucket, it would have been cute if it wasn’t for the danger and the fear in her small brown eyes. I made my way to her through the burning hall. Once I reached her another beam fell blocking the hallway.

“What’s your name?”

“Shelby.”

“Hi Shelby, my name is Logan, are you ok?”

“I’m scared.”

“Don’t worry we’ll get out of here, Ok?”

“Ok”

“I need you to wrap your arms around my neck and hide your face from the fire, can you do that for me?”

“Yes”

“Ok good let’s go”

I picked up Shelby and we made a run at a window as more and more beams started to fall, I dove through the window into the street turning so I didn’t hurt Shelby. As we landed, pain shot throughout my body as we slid to a stop in the middle of the street. I got up and made sure Shelby was safe and uninjured. The pain from the dive increased with every step as I walked Shelby to safety. When we got to the outskirts of town we found her mother, she thanked me. She thanked me? I am the reason for all of this. It’s my fault I brought this danger here.

I said my goodbyes and turned back to the town, to go help more people, when I saw her. The reason for all this pain and suffering, for all the destruction. She rose from the horizon soaring high above the town searching, searching for me. I tried running into town but it was too late. She spotted me running. I have to get away from the people, I can’t let her hurt them anymore. So I grabbed a shopping cart at the top of the hill. It’ll have to do. I got a “running start” and jumped in. I started gaining speed as she grew closer I knew this was the end, so I tried to keep the cart straight as I flew down the hill. As I reached the bottom I was in the middle of town, I was still flying when I hit a speed bump. I was tossed into the street again. I was barely able to move when the woman on the dragon, yes a dragon about twenty feet tall I was scared half to death when I first saw it too, swooped down a landed across the street just looking at me.

“What are you waiting for!”

“Nothing I enjoy watching you squirm.”

“Just do what you came to do.”

“If that is what you wish.”

I thought that was it until my arm started burning. Then all of a sudden my arm burst into flames. The weird thing it didn’t hurt in fact the pain I had felt was gone, and I had this strange feeling in my chest. Then there was a loud BOOM. As something came crashing through the street behind me. She looked at me, then at the explosion behind me, then looked down at her dragon. She had a look I will never forget, confusion and honest and true fear. As I turned around I saw why, behind me stood a 30 foot, scaley, blood colored dragon with piercing black eyes. It stood over me staring at her. She was frozen, I took the time to stand I realized I had healed, no cuts, no pain, the only thing was there was a tattoo of a dragon on my arm. Then I heard a voice in my head.

“Hello Logan, I’m Mars. Don’t worry I’m here to help.”

“What, what is going on, h… how are you in my head!?”

“I’ll explain later. For now get behind me.”

As I moved behind Mars, dumbfounded, he  jumped into action. There were tails flailing around, smashing into building, fire started to spray everywhere. Eventually the woman and her dragon escaped flying towards the setting sun as fast as they could.

“Mars are you ok?”

“Yes I’m  fine.”

“Good, time for some answers.”

“Ok first we should probably get out of here.”

“Yea good idea.”

“ Hop on”

“Really!?”

“Yes, how else are we going to get out of here?”

“Umm.”

“Come on no time to waste.”

“Alright, alright let me process a second here.”

“There is no time people are going to be asking questions that you don’t have the answers for.”

“Fine just take it slow.”

Mars lowered a wing allowing me to climb onto his back. Then just as a got situated he shot  into the sky in a blink of an eye we were soaring high in the sky.

“What happened to slow!?”

“It’s been awhile I got excited.”

“Really?”

We flew for a few awhile, it was amazing feeling the wind rush past. No one to bother me just a giant red dragon and the beautiful views of Pennsylvania. We landed in a wooded area that had enough coverage to cover Mars. Then he explained the whole thing.

Millions of years ago the dragons lived on earth with the dinosaurs but when the earth was hit with the meteor the dragons went into hiding underground. While the dinosaurs died out the dragons thrived gaining more intelligence over the millennia. When the dust settled the dragons had created a culture underground, so they never really traveled outside. As the millennia past new species started to spring up, species such as humans.

The dragons became curious about the humans as they too were intelligent. Eventually the dragons tried to make contact and befriend the humans. There were many different reactions to this contact. Some humans believed that dragons were gods, some believed they were guardians or omens. However some believed they were evil so the raged war against the dragons. This war lasted centuries, forcing the dragon's back into hiding.

Over time the stories of this war became the thing of legend to most, except for four human families. They searched for years, looking for dragons to finally end the war and suffering to create peace among the species. They wanted to work with the dragons. They found dragon's, deep in caves across the world. The families befriended the dragons they could find. Creating a secret society of humans and dragons. Over the years they worked together to help people however the lack of physical communication put strains on the relations between the two. But do to an accident this became a thing of the past. There was a boy named Frederick a member of Draco family, one of the four, was playing with some of the baby dragons, when he tripped falling down a hill. A dragon who had been getting water from a nearby stream after a game of _____ went to help Frederick. However, unknowingly the two were bleeding and when the dragon picked up Frederick the two transferred some blood too each other having a every unusual effect. As frederick recovered from his injuries he had he began to realize the unusual things happening to him. However the real shock came when after he got out he went to see the dragon to thank him and when the dragon spoke Frederick heard him, not only heard but understood. Frederick had accidentally became the first of many to get this ability. As many of the members too transferred blood with dragons to receive such a gift.

With the newfound communication and understanding the members of this society started to do a lot more good in the world. However after centuries some wanted to use their bond to better their life instead of others, or in other words control the world. The Dracos fought against the uprising forming from the Drakons. While the struggle between the two families grew the other two fled returning to their home countries along with their dragons. The split in beliefs sent the families all over the world and went into hiding.  They lived in secret until a few months ago when one faction started stirring up trouble here in the United States. That’s where I come in.

“But why me?”

“I’m not sure. But if they sent Diana after you they must be scared.”

“Scared?! Of me?”

“Do you remember the day they first came for you”

Remember I couldn’t forget. That was the worst day of my life.