Not finashed...Superheroes | Teen Ink

Not finashed...Superheroes

April 12, 2009
By Anonymous

I was 100% positive that superheroes existed. Not just superheroes, but any supernatural creature. I believed that if someone were in danger, someone with special abilities would save them even if they blew there cover. I believe in angels too. I reckon that an angel is assigned to everyone, keeping them out of harms way. Of course everyone in Clear Lake, Washington thought I was crazy. By 8th grade I finally stopped sharing my thoughts with everyone, including my mother. She doesn’t believe like I do.

“It was cute when you were five.” she told me.

“Your not little anymore,”

“Kids your age are going to make fun of you.” she would say.

My name is Jude, another reason why kids make fun of me. My real name is Judy Amy Walker, but my mom calls me Jude from The Beatles song. And it obviously stuck.

As I laid on my bed, I looked at the walls surrounding me. Posters of marvel characters, vampires, and Harry Potter. My favorite one was near my desk, it was of Superman and Lois Lane the one with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder. It made me feel warm inside every time I looked at it. The fact that Lois can accept Superman for what he really is, a super man.
As soon as I find somebody with any kind of paranormal power, I would leave my life behind me and join them. I had this dream since I was 10. How did I know that these people roamed my little town of Clear Lake? I witnessed one. I was 5, right when my beliefs nested into my brain. I was outside my house, waiting for my mom to come out to play with me. I got tired of waiting, and like all 5 year olds, I got curious and wondered off. I realized I was lost when the sky got darker. I was scared, I had no idea where I was. I called for my mom, but I was alone. I walked onto a busy street, and was head on with a silver Volvo. I had no idea what was going on, I shut my eyes because of the blinding headlights. Suddenly, I felt strong hands grab my waist pulling me up towards the sky. I remember screaming, asking who was guiding me towards the heavens, but nobody responded. I finally opened my eyes when my feet touched the ground. I searched for my savior, but they were gone. I knew that it was my personal angel, saving me from danger. My superhero flying down to save me. From then on I knew someone was looking out for me.

“Hey Jude.” my mother screamed from below.

“Dinner.”
I sighed, knowing that I wouldn’t think about my superhero/angel until tonight, when I was alone again. I got up from my bed, knocking down a box of comic books. I gasped, realizing which box had fell. I flew to the floor, picking up the remains of the box. It was a bunch of old comic books my father had given me before he left us. The first appearance of Superman from 1938 was one of them. It had to be worth a lot by now, I looked it up once. The going price was about 100,000, and that was about 5 years ago. I placed it back in the box carefully, putting it back on the pile of other boxes. If he was here, my father would have supported me, not tell me to grow up 24/7.

“Hey Jude, Don’t make it bad.” she screamed again.

I laughed, wiping the wetness from my eyes. “Coming.” I yelled back.


“Why don’t you go out tonight?” my mother asked me Saturday morning. I snorted, taking another bite of my cereal. If I were to go out I would be at the comic book in the town next to mine, but she wouldn’t want to hear that.

“Where am I supposed to go?”

“Out with friends, have a normal teenage life.”
I laughed, “What friends?”
She sighed, buttering a burnt piece of toast.

“Well if you didn’t have your nose in those comic books, you might have some.”

“Here we go again.” I mumbled, getting up to wash my bowl out. I felt her eyes on me as I walked in front of her, I don’t know how long she has been telling me to get out and go get a life.

“Your going to be a junior in high school, sweetie.” she said. Duh, I thought.

“You can’t spend your life living in a fantasy world, Jude!” she raised her voice.

“I’m not living in a fantasy world, Mom.” I told her. She shook her head, taking a bite of her toast. If I was in a fantasy world, I’d be with my superheroes, where I belong.
The house phone ringing made both of us jump. I got up from my seat, it was my turn to get it.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Hi, is Ms. Walker home?” a male answered. I exhaled loudly, handing her the phone. She giggled, answering with her flirty tone.
Her dating bothered me at first, thinking that dad would walk back threw our door any time soon. But eventually I got over it, actually liking some of the guys that came in and out of her life. She hung it up, smiling big.

“Who’s the guy?” I asked.
She smirked, “Someone I met at work last weekend.”
She got up, smiling to herself.

“Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you last night. Your dad called.”

“Really?” I said, surprised. My dad called once a year, on my birthday. If he called unexpectedly, like this, it was usually because he got a sale on a bunch of comic books.

“What did he want?” she shrugged, “I don’t know, I was barely listening.”
I laid my head on the table, she was being immature about the whole thing. She never liked him calling here.

“When are you going out tonight?”

“What?” she said appearing at the staircase.

“When are you going out tonight?” I asked again.

“Around 5:30.”
I nodded, turning back around in my stool.

“Don’t read too many comic books while I’m out, okay?” she said, laughing at me.
I gave her a phony smile. I wonder if she knew that every time she thought she was kidding, she really hurt my feelings. She probably wouldn’t say them if she did know, but it wouldn’t stop her from thinking it.

“Okay, how do I look?” she came down, wearing a short black cocktail dress.

“You look stunning, Mom.”
She turned around, showing the backside of the dress. It was a little flashy for a 39 year old women, or 33 is what she tells her dates.

“So what are you going to do?” didn’t we have this conversation earlier today? I thought.

“I might go to Charlie’s place.” her face lightened up.

“A boy’s house?” she asked excitedly.
I chuckled, “No, Cosmic Comics and Games. Down in Bellingham.” her face became glum.

“Okay, well…have fun.” she said walking out the door.

“You too.” I said to her, but she already left.

It took about 20 minutes to get to Bellingham from my house, and if I was going all the way down there I had to make sure they had a good stock.
I hated the elevator music they played when you were on hold, I told the owner multiple times that he probably loses business.

“Hello, Cosmic Comics and Games. Charlie speaking.”

“Charlie, it’s Jude.”

“Hey Jude. It’s been awhile.” he said animatedly.

“Yeah, well I was planning on coming down now.” I told him.

“Great, we just got a supply of New Avengers.”

“Good I’ll be there.” I said hanging up the phone.

I walked out of the house, grabbing my keys to the minivan I bought myself last year. My mom always insisted on helping me financially, but I wouldn’t allow it. I had to learn to get by with my own money, because when I left she wouldn’t be there to help me. I didn’t even let her buy the Spiderman seat covers.

I pulled onto Cornwall Ave, the little shop on the corner of the street. It was the only premier source for comics in Washington, and it’s the only place I really ever went. If I was bored or had nothing else to do, I would travel to Oregon and see what they had down there.

Charlie greeted me with a smile as I walked in, he’s been dying for me to work here for months. But my employment went to CVS down the street, a job that I un-rightfully got because my cousin is the supervisor.

“Where are the goods?” I teased, walking up to the counter.

“My new employee is putting them on the shelves as we speak.”
I nodded, “Finally got a new comic book fanatic?”
He laughed, “Well, not as extreme as you are. But he’s faithful.”

“Alright, well I’ll go scope the place out.” I told him walking off.
He waggled his head, then went back to what he was doing before I walked in.

I didn’t recognize anyone new in the shop, but I stopped looking after I saw The Amazing Spiderman #1 hanging in a glass case.

“I see you saw the Amazing Spidey.” someone behind me said. I twisted around. My legs caught on one another, making me fall on the person behind me.

“Watch it.” he said catching me. I quickly got myself together, looking back up to the glass case.

“It’s in near-perfect condition.” the unfamiliar person added, walking besides me. I didn’t bother to look at him, my face still felt hot from the fall. I casually hid my face, “how much is it?” was the only thing I could think to say at the moment.
He snickered, “About $300 dollars.”
I looked up to him. “Why are you laughing?” I had a couple thousand dollars saved up for college, if I wanted to I could by this #1 issue of The Amazing Spiderman.

“Charlie has been pretty strict about it, been turning down offers all week.”

“That’s not a problem. If I really wanted this I would buy it.” I said gravely.
He took a step back. “Okay, well if you need help my name is Peter.”
I tried to smile back apologetically, but I don’t think it looked like it. Leave it to me to scare the new guy off. I sighed, walking towards The New Avengers.


“Mom, where is my name tag?” I screamed, franticly putting my red CVS uniform over my head.

“Where did you put it last?” she yelled.
I don’t remember where I put it last that’s why I’m asking, I deemed.
I walked down the stairs, trying to remember where I did put it last.

“I always tell you, when your done using things you should put them back so you don’t loose them.” she scolded

“Yeah yeah, my shift ends at 7.” I told her walking out the door. I jumped in my van, not even bothering adjusting my rearview mirror.
I pulled into the CVS parking lot, almost tripping when I got out of the car. I looked at my watch, I was 10 minutes late.

“Your late, Jude.” the cashier said.

“I know, Emily. I was stuck in traffic.” I lied. She narrowed her eyes,
“Whatever.” she mumbled.

“Welcome to CVS.” I said cheerfully to the customer who just walked in. She smile politely, walking off towards the refrigerated section. I sighed, picking up a magazine off the shelf.

The author's comments:
This is not finashed, i will finash it eventually if anyone thinks it is worth finashing.