The Jungle | Teen Ink

The Jungle

By Faithmjc GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Faithmjc GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey

The combination of the low fluorescent lighting and the chemical stench of antiseptic caused Mason to feel nauseous. He squirmed in his seat, the cheap plastic covering crackled each time he moved. A soft hand was placed on his knee, as a silent plea for him to stop. His mother sat beside him equally uncomfortable, her right hand was gripped tightly on the edge of the chair, her knuckles had lost their color. The left hand had moved from her son's knee to envelope his small fingers, his warm skin had comforted her. Sharp clicks of high heels interrupted the short lived silence, Dr. Fields, an annoyingly optimistic pediatric doctor, poked her head in the room as if to ask permission to enter her own office. Mason’s father nodded, welcoming her inside. She held an overflowing folder, filled with charts, labs, and scans. It contained Mason’s entire medical history which was frighteningly lengthy for his young age. She pulled out the most recent report of tests, and her ever present smile was gone. Mason’s mother tightened her hold on his hand.
“Our recent treatment plan hasn't had the results we've hoped for.” she carefully stated. “And the scans have showed slight growth.”
“Oh God” Masons mother whispered. His father spoke up, “What's the new plan?”. The three adults began going back and forth with questions and answers, and didn't end until what seemed like hours later. The conversation was over, and a decision had been made, which led to Mason changing into a thin hospital gown and being admitted into his own room.
“Oh look how cute!” His mother gushed, pointing to the paintings of monkeys on the room’s wall.
His father agreed, “Much better than those hippos, seriously who thought it was a good idea to make their eyes red?”
Mason shrugged. He didn't care for the monkeys either, he just turned 9 and believed that he had outgrown the zoo animal art, yet he never complained.
  Several months passed, but the meds and the chemo were having little effect on the tumor that wrapped itself around his organs. Though his cancer wasn't impacted, Mason’s body was shutting down from the radiation. The medical staff was racing the clock to save his life, with extremely limited options. Dr. Fields entered the room with a trail of eager interns who had trouble masking their excitement to be apart of such a challenging case. Mason’s mother was sat next to her son, gently rubbing his back while he clutched a garbage can.
“He's having trouble sleeping, the pain keeps him up.” she stated, never moving her gaze from Mason’s pale face.
“I will prescribe a sedative, don’t worry a good night's rest can make a world of difference.” Dr. Fields tried to boost their spirit, but they both had trouble believing in her words.  The pediatrician pulled up one of the plastic covered chairs next to the bed, and looked directly at Mason, “I know this is scary, but we will beat this, you will beat this.” she shifted her gaze to his mother. “I think it's time for the surgery we discussed.” She nodded, and tried to keep a strong front, but her watering eyes gave away how terrified she was.
A  few days later  Mason’s bed was wheeled into the operating room, he clutched a small brown monkey that his mother had given him. Originally he tried to protest, but now he was glad he had the soft fabric to hold. Dr. Fields looked down at her favorite patient and smiled weakly before she placed the gas mask over his face.  He looked up at the ceiling which had white wispy clouds painted on it, he watched the blue sky fade away, and the room transform into darkness. Mason’s subconscious began to wonder. Am I dead? Is this heaven? His questions were interrupted by the sound of scratching. He weakly opened his eyes that were overwhelmed by the bright sunlight overhead. He quickly blinked away the pain, trying to clear his sight to take in his surroundings. A small anteater was eagerly digging in a mound of dirt, and Mason gasped, shocked at the sight of the fuzzy creature. The anteater heard the sound, and curiously marched over to the boy to investigate. Mason froze, afraid that any movement would lead to the sharp claws that previously tore through the earth, to be pointed in his direction. Instead, the anteater climbed on top of the boy, and began sniffing his face as if he was trying to determine what he was. The mammal must have decided that it liked him and took his long tongue and slid it across Mason’s face. This sent the nine year old into a fit of giggles, he laughed so hard his face and sides began to cramp, there were even a few stray tears on his cheeks. The sound of his laughter attracted several other animals to explore the area. In front of him now sat a fuzzy anteater, a gentle lion, two baby cubs, and a red eyed hippo. Only, this hippo wasn't scary like the one in the hospital room. Mason was amazed at how calm all of animals were, they seemed to have accepted his presence. The hippo stood up, revealing its towering height. and stomped over to the boy. It opened its mouth, grabbed Mason by the collar of his shirt, and pulled him onto its back, then began to stroll farther into the lively jungle. Mason admired the colorful birds that sat in the trees, singing their beautiful songs. He noticed the strong bugs that carried leaves twice their size along the trails of the jungle floor. High pitched screeches grabbed his attention. Swinging from tree to tree was a family of long armed monkeys, their brown coats gleamed in the light. Mason couldn't believe his eyes. The leader of the group reaches out his arm towards the boy, offering to bring him into the treetops. Mason tried to grasp the rough hand, but he suddenly felt the same weakness that he had felt for the past months return. He missed the monkey’s arm and fell of the hippo’s back, plummeting towards the hard floor.
In the operating room, Dr. Fields threw her scrub cap onto the ground in frustration. The monitor had flatlined, emitting a haunting monotone beep. A teary eyed nurse removed the tubes and wires from Mason’s body, and whispered an apology to the boy.
Mason opened his eyes, confused from the lack of pain from the impact with the ground. Except he wasn’t on the ground, he was in the trees. He was being carried by the same monkey who had outreached his arm moments ago, the animal noticed his consciousness, and switched the boy from his arms onto his back. Mason held onto the thick fur, and watched the animals on the jungle floor that ran with the monkeys, trying to keep up. He smiled and looked up towards the sky at beautiful sunset that had begun to form. The brilliant warm colors took over the wispy clouds and blue sky, it was the most incredible sight he had ever seen. Mason thought to himself, this is heaven.