The Savage Within Us | Teen Ink

The Savage Within Us

March 1, 2018
By mindofawesomeness SILVER, Parker, Texas
mindofawesomeness SILVER, Parker, Texas
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish." - Michelangelo

 

***


Dr. Xyphrez reclined in his chair and held a piece of green paper up against the rays of sunlight that poured through the windows. He found himself staring into the face of Benjamin Franklin, whose unmoving eyes and thin lips, compressed into a faint smile, were surrounded by the number “100” printed across the corners of the wrinkled paper. Faint creases began to line the scholar’s forehead as he moved his face closer to Franklin’s. Then, as if repulsed by the smell of rotting food, he quickly threw the paper onto his desk and turned his head away. He folded his arms and gazed absentmindedly out the window, and his pupils followed the vehicles cruising by noiselessly, hanging thousands of feet above the air.


A monotone voice interrupted Dr. Xyphrez’s moment of quiet solitude. “Mr. Wilson is here to see you,” it announced. A thin man appeared within a glass tube in the corner of the room, and as the glass parted like doors, he quickly ran out like an excited child.


“Another discovery?” Mr. Wilson asked, his voice filled with anticipation.


“Just a project I’ve been working on for a while. Why don’t you sit down?”


As two robotic arms whirred to life to pour the scholar and his visitor two cups of hot tea, Xyphrez made a few punches on a keypad, and a holographic screen appeared in front of them.


“As you know,” the scholar cleared his throat and explained, “about eight centuries ago, a technological revolution created a device that could transform human consciousness, ridding us of many temporal desires. Today, we call this breakthrough “the Ethic Leap”, and it is credited for creating global peace and equality.


“Well, the Leap made us forget about much of what we call the ‘primitive man’ that once roamed the Earth, but I believe that it is crucial to understand our ancestors, regardless of some of their puzzling behaviors. This led me to start collaborating with several historians and biologists to essentially re-discover the ‘primitive man.’”


The scholar picked up the piece of green paper from his desk and held it up for Wilson to see.


“Do you know what this is?”


The perplexed visitor shook his head. “Never seen a paper like this.”


“Money.” Xyphrez said.


“Aaahh,” Wilson’s confusion was replaced by faint comprehension. “The hallmark of primitive civilization.”


“Indeed. It’s funny how such a little piece of paper could be of so much significance. We obviously can’t fathom how our ancestors could pump so much meaning into this small rectangular slip. But is it possible to see into their thoughts? Is it possible to slip into their world and gain a glimpse of their mind, their beliefs, and their consciousness?”


Xyphrez’s eyes twinkled.


Wilson rolled his eyes. “Why do you set up so much suspense in your scientific studies?”


“The pursuit of knowledge is inherently elating, my friend.”


“Which is why I am waiting to hear what you have done.”


“Very well.” Xyphrez tapped the holographic screen, and it morphed into a three dimensional model of the human brain. “My objective is to simulate the primitive man’s consciousness. I invited you here because my objective has been reached - this brain here is a primitive man’s mind. All I have to do now is tap a button on my keypad, and this brain will simulate a life similar, yet unknown to us.”


“Give it a name,” Wilson mused. “Perhaps Adam.”


“Good idea.” The scientist said as he punched into his keypad. The two leaned in closer to the holographic brain, and Xyphrez announced in his dramatic voice, “say hello to the world, Adam.”


***


Adam woke.


His mind was foggy, clouded with the fading memories of nightmares. It took Adam a moment to realize that the morning sun was already hanging high in the sky, shining with new vigor for a new day.


Yet Adam didn't want to get up. He wanted to just lie there and have maids bring everything he needed to his bedside. But then he realized that this was a big day that was going to shower money. With the thought of Benjamin Franklin’s face on green paper, he groaned and sat up on his bed.


Adam could faintly hear the deep groans of the lawn-mowers outside; the sound irritated him - he's paying loads of money, and in return, he gets to listen to loud noises and has to clean up all the dried grass in his shiny swimming pool.


As he reluctantly rose from his soft mattress and slowly paced to the bathroom, he found himself staring into the mirror that reflected a perfect set of features propped onto a delicately crafted figure. He sighed, frustrated with his unfortunate appearance - the mediocre height and the messy hair ruined him.


As Adam grumpily emerged from his bedroom, he scanned his spacious house, dismayed that he must suffer through hours of dreadful chores.


He murmured complaints while he slammed the door of his house shut and approached his Audi convertible that glinted majestically under the sunlight. Not even a Mercedes, Adam thought, and there's a dent in the back.


Heaving one last sigh at all his misfortunes, he mounted his stately steed and sped off to work.

 

***


Adam took a short walk from the parking lot to his office in the gleaming skyscraper that dominated the downtown skyline, all the while cursing the scorching sun for the two drops of perspiration that rolled down his forehead. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a beggar slumped next to a wall on the sidewalk, his ragged clothes drenched in sweat. The beggar stared at Adam, and his eyes gazed longingly at Adam’s hands.


Adam, irritated with the beggar’s hungry, pleading stare, looked into his own hands and realised that he was holding his unfinished breakfast. So that was what he was looking at.


Adam chucked the food into a trash can and walked on.


***


The company’s employees threw Adam nervous glances as he strode towards his office, separated from the others’ tiny workplaces by a tall pane of glass. Adam’s haughty gaze ignored his wage slaves. He entered his office, slammed the door shut, and launched into frantic work mode - today was his pay day, for the large business deal he had been negotiating for the past months was about to become a river of gold that would quench his insatiable thirst.


Adam worked like a machine, oblivious that he had charged straight past lunchtime. He was still typing away furiously on the computer when an employee knocked on his glass door.


“Sir, you are meeting with the representatives of Company X in 5 minutes.”


“Do I need you to remind me?” Adam snapped.


The employee opened his mouth, but he didn’t quite know how to respond.


“Don’t stand there looking stupid. Go bring me a cup of hot tea.”


The employee murmured “yes, sir”, and ran off. A minute later, he was holding a cup of tea; the fragrance flowed with the steam into Adam’s nose.


Adam, eager to rid the discomfort of his thirst, quickly held the cup up to his mouth, yet the first sip burned his tongue.


“Idiot!” Adam yelled. “Who can drink water this hot!”


“But … sir, you asked for hot tea.”


Adam’s menacing glare fell upon the employee and made him fidget nervously. “Do you want to lose your job?”


“No, no sir.”


“Then get the hell out of here.”


***


Adam sat smugly in his office, savoring his success. The business meeting had been executed perfectly, with his every word dazzling the audience. Adam knew that the deal was sealed - a grand investment for a grand project generating grand profits, and he was going to spend his days drinking from his river of gold.


Yet Adam’s daydream proved short-lived, for a frantic young man came bolting in through his door.


“Sir!” He cried as he charged toward Adam. “Don’t do this! You are ruining lives!”


“What?” Adam didn’t catch the last part … ruining lives? How is profit going to ruin his life?


“Your deal in --- and investment in their factories are going to exacerbate the toxic chemical runoff into a river, poisoning their only water source. Your construction projects are going to clear 500 acres of forest, which will destroy the habitat for several endangered species, and you’re going to enslave the people of --- so that they will live under cardboard, starve, drink poison while working their limbs off 24 hours a day to enrich a few! What you are doing, sir, is clearly a violation of human rights and a detriment to the environment!”


“Aaahh,” said Adam, slightly amused. “The usual human rights activism and protecting the environment cliche.”


“Sir, perhaps why these things are heard so often is because they are pressing issues everywhere. You’ve got to think of the others, sir; you’ve got to care about the poor.”


Adam rolled his eyes and sat up straight to face the young man. “Listen up kid, every time I open a factory or invest in some region, I bring development; I give struggling societies an economic backbone. My factories produce affordable goods that are craved by millions. This is why I will contribute to the world more than you ever will - because I am an entrepreneur. This world is a battleground, kid, not everyone is an angel like you, and if you don’t compete…”


Adam brought down his fist hard and crumpled the paper cup that once held his hot tea.


The young man flinched, yet before he was able to speak, Adam continued.


“Look at your watch, kid. That’s my brand, and it’s probably made by some starving children in some poor country. Now, since you really care about human rights and the environment, why don’t you leave me everything you’re wearing and using and get the hell out of my office.”


***


Having sent away the poor young man, Adam triumphantly made his way to the conference room where the chairman of the company’s board waited for him. He politely entered and closed the door behind him with a soft click.


He bowed down as far as his spinal cord allowed him and said in a gentle voice: “good afternoon, Mr. Chairman. I have successfully negotiated the deal with company X, and I estimate that our investments would bring in at least fifty million for our company every year.”


The Chairman nodded and smiled. “Well done, well done, Adam. The board is highly grateful for your hard work and contributions to this corporations. Considering your latest achievements and your excellent leadership, we are pleased to say that we have reached the decision to give you a pay raise.”


Just as I thought. “It’s an honor to serve the company, Mr. Chairman.”


“We will raise your salary by 20,000 per year.”


Adam could barely contain his emotions, yet he forced the willing currents within his chest down. “I am so grateful, Mr. Chairman. I know that I can’t do anything without your wisdom and guidance.”


He gave another low bow that tested the flexibility of his spinal cord, and he bolted out of the conference room. Then, his fist targeted the nearest wall it could find and began pounding the lifeless structure relentlessly. Only 20,000 per year! He wanted to scream. What can I do with 20,000! Adam wondered if there was truly an omnipotent deity that made him so wretched and unfortunate; perhaps this deity orchestrated all the events in his life so that he would never be happy.


***


Adam slumped in his couch, holding a slice of pizza, his mouth munching on the flavorless dough dejectedly.
The television was on, playing some documentary that Adam had no interest in. Adam threw his pizza back into its plate and heaved a deep sigh. Suddenly, his eye caught the creature staring out of the colorful screen before him.


It was a child. His body seemed shriveled up, as if someone had used a special vacuum to suck all the youthful vigor out of him. The child raised his hands weakly, desperately reaching for the camera, and his large, brown eyes looked out the screen, straight out at Adam. That gaze was imploring and wistful. It made Adam remember the beggar earlier in the day.


“Thousands of refugees seeking asylum after the civil war ravaged the nation. These people are starving in disease-ridden camps, devoid of hope,” a melancholy voice explained.


At that moment, Adam remembered his own investment. He heard a vivid voice scream in his mind. You’ve got to think of the others, sir! And he saw accusation in the child’s eyes, accusation that his predicament was brought about by the decisions of a few who lived in another world.


This is all your fault. The child seemed to say.


Adam began to feel a twinge of guilt and sympathy, and he began to wonder if it was truly his duty to help these people. However, he quickly dismissed these thoughts and stood up. He’ll worry about all of this later, for he was feeling thirsty again.


***


“What horrid thoughts! Deplorable monster!” exclaimed Mr. Wilson as he continued to gape at the whirring holographic brain.


“Indeed,” Dr. Xyphrez agreed. “Yet you must acknowledge, my friend, that primitive men, savages who thought like this one, were our ancestors who brought about the Leap and shaped who we are. I believe that at the dawn of the Leap, the primitive men had to choose between continuing to exist as savage creatures who live in wild excitement or ascend to become god-like beings who enjoy tranquil peace. Clearly, they chose the latter.


“As you saw in Adam, the primitive man had morals, along with an eager spirit to work, to strive, even when they want more than they could ever achieve. So is the primitive man who we regard as a savage all bad? Certainly not - because no matter who we were or who we become, the savage is always within us.”


***


Adam read through this story, his eyes rested for a moment on the words “the savage is always within us”. He could only think of one word to describe the absurdity of the ideas conveyed.


Impossible.


The author's comments:

Dear Reader...

 

Your name is Adam.