The Keeper's Left Wing | Teen Ink

The Keeper's Left Wing

March 5, 2018
By Zorla GOLD, Winona, Minnesota
Zorla GOLD, Winona, Minnesota
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 Daj is something of a God to all duckkind. She was the first duck; she engendered all those that followed. She had gained much renown during her lifetime from her children and her children’s children due to her many gifts and teachings. She kept all food stocks replete with her magical talisman and ensconced duckkind in the center of a labyrinthine maze to keep them secluded from the rest of the world in a covert lake domain.
After her death, her children created the Code of Daj that contained all of the teachings they believed all ducks should follow. The code states that:
1. All ducks are equal.
-No gender should be favored over another.
-No outer or inner appearance makes anyduck less equal to another.
-Noduck is higher in standing than any other.
2. Noxious behaviors/actions towards another will not be tolerated.
- All cruelty or aggressive behavior towards others is forbidden.
3. Working parties will not receive remuneration, for all work is for the betterment of duckkind. Nothing but this should be desired.
-All those who bilk upon the resources of the whole shall be punished.
4. Don’t take away more than what is needed from the whole. Doing so is punishable.
-Those who take unnecessary resources will be punished.
-Taking an innocent life will result in the committee sharing the same fate.
5. Act towards others as you would have them act towards you.
6. Offer up thanks before accepting any gift from Daj or anyduck.
7. Any good or bad action shall be returned two-fold.
Those that followed the Code of Daj began calling themselves the Worshippers. The Lead Worshipper provided guidance and help to those who were in need of it. The duck that watches the actions of all and enforces the Code of Daj was called the Code Keeper. To help the Code Keeper two ducks became the Keeper’s Wings, right and left respectively, and helped watch over the growing population.
Yet, over time, things began to change. Many ducks sought power and riches. The Lead Worshipper and her closest followers- later known the Lead Worshipper’s circle- became the worst of them all. Female ducks gained favor over males as time progressed. This made it so that the Lead Worshipper was always female rather than the position being filled by one who would best perform the job. Eventually, eventually became even more extreme when the position became hereditary and was passed on from mother to daughter.
As these changes happened slowly over time, the general populous knew no different. The Lead Worshipper’s Circle fed lies mixed in with small bits of the true Code of Daj to the populous in the form of teachings. The Code Keeper joined the Lead Keeper’s Circle in their heinous actions and hid away the true code and supported the Lead Worshipper’s Circles’ lies. The Code Keeper kept this secret from their Wings as well. A each new Code Keeper was chosen, they were told the truth after swearing an oath of secrecy.
~~~
  Qel was the Keeper’s Left Wing. He had always followed all the rules which earned him this position, but he did not do all this blindly. His whole life he questioned many things, but never expressed these concerns, for they lacked credibility and it would cost him dearly; however, he had recently come across new information that changed everything.
The Code Keeper had picked him to be his predecessor and had then revealed to cold truth of their society. Qel had sworn an oath of secrecy and was not permitted to speak with anyone about the lies and corruption within the Lead Worshipper’s Circle. He had suspected things weren’t as they should be, but was astounded to see just how horrible the state of things was.
The Lead Worshipper’s Circle had rewritten most of the Code of Daj and the Code Keeper hid away the real one. This had been going on for generations. Qel was disgusted by this fact and decided that death was better than allowing the truth to be hidden from everyduck.
The next day Qel stood before the Lead Worshipper’s Circle and pleaded for them to end the lies and tell the truth.
“I abhor all Worshippers that believe the way things are now are as they should be. I do not believe in this false Code of Daj you’re predecessors created. I know for a fact that the Worshipper’s circle defies all that the true Code of Daj stands for. You all put on a tawdry act, but I know what you all have done. You and all those who precede you just couldn’t abstain from the power you acquired. Over time you all became more and more greedy and you destroy all those who would stand against you. I wish for the council to abrogate or at least nullify these false rules that have been created. They hamper and restrict all that we could enhance and change for the better of all duckkind; they defy all the Daj wanted and taught. You call yourselves her followers, yet you have broken nearly every part of the Code. You have created a blighted society that is nearing the point in which it can no longer be healed. End this now or you will surely face the consequences two-fold,” Qel defiantly proclaimed.
Lead Worshipper Bex frowned deeply and then proceeded to deliver an aggressive harangue in reply, “You obdurate heretic. Would you dare to stand against us? Do you dare to commit such blasphemy against her good name? You were always an enigma to us all, but we believed you were just different on the inside. We thought you were a good loyal follower of the Code. Now, you’ve become nothing but an abasement to us all. This reprehensible act has broken the Code of Daj and broken your oath. I do not see an absolution in your future. We can’t forgive your actions and let you live free. You will be released until tomorrow morning when we reconvene to deliver your sentence. I would recommend you say all your goodbyes by then.”
Qel had not cowered in fear at what Bex had just said. His placid attitude was left unaffected even by the almost certain impending death sentence; however, he refused to renounce his beliefs even if it cost him his life. His only hope was that his death would be a harbinger of change and that it would kindle a fire within those who were oppressed by the Lead Worshipper’s Circle. Even if the change came slowly, he wished for it to be tangible in the future.

That night Qel went around the town and handed out as many copies of the true Code of Daj as he could to everyduck and told them to come to the gathering area.
As ducks trickled into the gathering area Qel prepared a small mound of dirt to stand atop and tell them all the truth.
“This place we live and all that is here is a blatant lie. The Code of Daj we all know and follow is fake. Generations of Lead Worshipper’s and their Circles created a falsified Code which allowed them to fulfill their greedy wants. And before you question if these are credible statements, I will assure you that they are. The current Code Keeper chose me to be her predecessor and told me the truth after I swore to an oath of secrecy. I could not keep this to myself, though, you all deserve the truth. First, I went to the Lead Worshipper’s Circle and pleaded for them to tell the truth, but they are too corrupt and refused. I will surely be put to death for my actions, but this is the price I must pay for my actions. You all, however, can change this.
“There is more to the world than what we have here. A world far larger than this lake domain. A place where you can all be free and stand on your own with nothing tying you down. A place where you can be free of the Lead Worshipper and her Circle’s oppression. All you must do is stand tall together against them and destroy Daj’s magic talisman. Many of you may not yet believe much or any of what I have said, but I implore you, please do not forget what I have said, for it is the truth. This is a plausible future, not some unreachable dream, and all you must do to achieve it is to fight for it.
“Now, someday I hope that you might all see this new future. That alone would bring me great joy. I alone have only one voice. Together, you all have each other’s voices. Together you can cry louder the Lead Worshipper and her Circle’s lies.
“Farewell, my friends and fellows. May Daj watch over and guide you all.”

The next morning Qel went to receive his sentence. He did not feel no fear, but he would not be reduced to a sobbing ingrate begging for his life. He would not back down or run from his fate.
“There will be no reprieve. You will hang within the hour. Any last words?” were the words Bex hurled at him.
Qel only shook his head in response and calmly accepted his fate.
~~~
“Many years ago Qel the great was the Code Keeper of his time’s Left Wing which is how he found out the truth. He told the truth and indirectly saved all ducks from those that oppressed them by inspiring all those around him to stand and fight even though it cost him his life.  Those who sentenced him to death received punishment for their bad actions two-fold. They were shunned for the rest of their lives and were later all eaten by foxes, weasels, and raccoons.
“This new world we live in may not be perfect, but it is not filled with lies and deceit as the old one was and we are free to live as we wish. That is all thanks to Qel,” Sar, a teacher, instructed her students.
“You should tell us more about Qel next time Miss Sar,” Kur chimed.
“Yeah, he’s my favorite!” Yix added.


The author's comments:

Wrote this piece for an English assignment. We had to write using sentences using a list of vocab words, we had an option to write a story if we felt so inclined, and a couple topics those sentences could be on. I chose to write a story about ducks and this is what happened.