Dreams | Teen Ink

Dreams

By glopes134 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
glopes134 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The bell rang.
“Alright students, quiet down now, time for class.” The class monitor said. It was a math class. Mostly useless equations, stuff we would only use once in our lifetime. The classroom was boring. The desks were in long single file rows, one after another. The front of the classroom was just a white board and a desk. It was a full classroom. The room was just a box. Each wall the same size and the door in the front right corner. As I’m thinking about it, the rest of our classrooms were shaped the same and looked very similar to each other. We didn’t have that many rooms in the school either. “Hey...Hey Stevie!” Nick, one the of kids in the class sitting next to me, was trying to get my attention. At first I chose not to listen to him because that would cause us to get in-trouble. I turn around to look at him anyways.
“What do you want.” I whisper and tighten my grip on my pencil.
“Did you hear what happened to the last bunch of kids that went in for testing?” Nick asked leaning in.
“No. I didn’t know when the next rotation was in. What happened?” I asked thinking about this morning's paper and how there was no announcements about testing were made.
“It was yesterday! There were riots. One kid had escaped! He was taking the test in those single testing rooms ya know, and he started to really freak out! They say he had broke the wall to the room and on the other side-”
“Nickolas.” The class monitor was standing right over his desk.
“This is a silent work time.” She said glaring right through him. She turns away and saunters back to the desk.
“Meet me in the back alley after school” Nick said not looking up from his work. We usually met up in the alley to hang out and chill.
We had class monitors in the rooms just to make sure everyone was working. They never really talk, they usually just sit at the desk watching over us like hawks. There are always different monitors everyday in each classroom. No one knows why or where they come from but we always see someone new everyday. We were in this class so we could be prepared for the test. The test that would pave the way for our future. That dreaded awful test. Some kids say if you don’t get a high enough score, they take you away and put you through more school. I don’t think that’s true, but it does sound terrible.
The bell rings. Class is over. “Ok class. Remember, to save all papers and turn them in at the end of the class year.” Said the classroom monitor. Next was our lunch. Everyone had lunch together. It was really our only time to socialize since we didn’t have time to talk in class. Lunch was the best and worst part of the day. Even though we were served the same boring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday, no one seemed to complain. It was the only time I got to see any friends as none of mine were in my classes. After lunch was over we had one more 2 hour class that was silent work time for the first hour and english class the second hour. Thinking about what Nick might’ve wanted to talk about. I don’t really trust anyone at the school, especially the boys. What nick told me math really had me thinking for the rest of the day. What could’ve happened? I should set up a plan for just in case.
  I had a plan after school. It was raining. Everything was wet. I could feel my shoes filling up with the cold dirty rain water. Hearing the pitter patter of the rain falling down from the gutter was really calming. The whole day had been grey mostly. On my way through the pouring rain I saw Nick; There he was, caught in my secret trap I had set up in hopes of just this happening. The sky gets darker as I get closer.
“Hey, so you wanted to talk?” He said in a low voice.
“Actually what’s going to happen is I will be talking and you will be listening.” I said trying to muster up as much courage as I could, without my motions getting the best of me
“Ah, oh okay.” he says while trying to free up himself a little bit, but my trap was set perfectly. He slowly lifts his head up to look at me with his piercing green eyes.
“So a lot has happened in the last couple of weeks, you seem to pick one person every so often and cast some sort of hex on them and then you just play with them and use it as a puppet in your crimes! You are an evil genius, who also has no idea of what he’s doing. I’m here to put an end to your malicious ways and stop this nonsense!” As I kept talking, the wind was just getting stronger and stronger. Every other time I’ve talked to him, I don’t think he listens or pays attention...I can always tell when he’s lying, he does this stupid thing with his hands shoved into his pockets. As I’m talking to him, there’s a big cloud forming overhead.
“You have to stop stealing people’s powers and using them! You’ve almost taken all the good in this town!” The cloud becomes darker.
“Listen… I think that what happened wasn’t a big deal! I don’t know what you would call me such names when we’ve both done the same things!” He says in a shrug of shoulder, seemingly unbothered by the growing storm cloud above.
“How could you say that!” I say as a loud crack of lightning appears in the sky.
“Hmm. Seems like someone's having a little trouble.” He says with a smirk. I take a deep breath and try to calm myself down. The sky becomes less grey as I calm myself.
“So what are you going to do to me?” He asks.
“I demand you to be banished from this town or I will remove you.” I say in the most serious tone I’ve ever heard from myself.
“Easy, I’ll just go to the next town over.” He says menacingly. I couldn’t take it anymore, the storm was getting out of my hands, I was so mad my powers had gotten the best of me and the biggest, loudest crack shakes me.
“Stevie!”

I wrote this piece for a creative writing class teaching me to better my writing