The Talking Raven | Teen Ink

The Talking Raven

October 16, 2017
By InvisibleWriter SILVER, New Hampton, New Hampshire
InvisibleWriter SILVER, New Hampton, New Hampshire
8 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
~RobFrost


I was sitting at my desk, thinking of all the possible things I could have been doing right then. I could have been writing, I could have been reading, I could have been doing anything but sitting there. Then I heard a sound at my window, it was a raven pecking at the glass almost as if asking if it could come in. I decided to go over and open my window and let in this silly bird. This raven came right in and perched itself on the edge of my laptop screen.


It appeared to be smaller than your average raven but it still looked regal. I walked over and sat back down at my desk all the while watching the raven to see what it was going to do next. As soon as I got comfortable in my chair the raven began to speak. I couldn’t believe my ears, a talking raven and it just happened to show up at my window. The raven began by introducing herself as Luna and then started to tell me a story of how she ended up on my windowsill.


It took me some time before I could speak, and of course my first question was am I dreaming, is this real. Lunas only reply was that no you are not dreaming and that yes this is very much real, now listen. Luna was telling me about her childhood and how she was far behind her nest mates in almost everything but that she did excel where they did not. That when it came to reading and writing she was the very best of her nestmates. She continued to tell me of her past but it felt almost as if she was trying to avoid something.


She only ever spoke of her past she did not tell me anything of her present life. So, of course, my next questions were so what are you doing now, where are you nestmates, why are you on your own? Luna became silent for a few minutes, and I thought that maybe I had dreamed everything and I was beginning to wake up. That was not the case however because within a few more moments she began to speak again. Luna's tone of voice and almost her whole demeanor had changed, I could tell something was wrong.


Luna’s story took a turn for the sad and empty. Luna had left home when she was of age and tried to become a writer but wasn't very successful at it, she explained that she was always out partying and never really doing work when she was supposed to and so her work suffered. Then came a time when she didn't know what to write and would just sit around all day just staring at a blank page wondering what to do next. This is when I began to realize the similarities in our situations. I had done almost the exact same thing, with my life, when I got out of high school, I was so concerned with hanging out with my friends that my work suffered and that I was stuck in a rut and didn't know what to do or write next.


She was still explaining her story when she realized I had gone really quiet. Luna asked If I was ok and what was I thinking about. My only reply was “ I don't think you ending up on my windowsill was a coincidence I think it was meant to be. Luna asked me why I thought it wasn't a coincidence. I then began to tell her my life story and by the time I was finished she agreed that it definitely was no coincidence that she ended up on this particular windowsill.


We began talking about all of the ways we could help each other to develop better habits and to become better writers. Luna and I became the best of friends and we wrote many stories together and many of them became bestsellers. I will never forget the day that I found a talking raven on my windowsill.


The author's comments:

Written for a Flash Fiction workshop.