Crimson | Teen Ink

Crimson

By Brianna Cote BRONZE, Martinsburg, West Virginia
Brianna Cote BRONZE, Martinsburg, West Virginia

Crimson
1.
Elena Renee Oakes
2.
Twenty Five years old
3.
Liz and I have been friends forever
4.
Since about Junior High, if I remember correctly
5.
Liz lived with her grandmother.
6.
Eighty, I think.
7.
Nope. She was really active, especially for her age.
8.
We were out buying outfits for a party.
9.
This weekend at John’s house
10.
Liz's ex-boyfriend, they broke up two months ago.
11.
He loved her, but Liz thought he was too clingy.
12.
John is one of the sweetest guys I know. He couldn’t hurt a fly.
13.
When we were done shopping, we were heading to my place.
14.
Liz forgot her wallet at the store. I waited for her while she went back to get it.
15.
She never came back. I looked for her, but I didn’t see her. It was cold and dark, I just wanted to get back home.
16.
A week later
17.
On my door steps. I walked outside to get my mail and she was just sitting there, staring off into space. She ran away when I tried to talk to her.
18.
The next day, Liz was on my steps just like the day before. She started doing that every morning, always running away when I tried to ask her questions.
19.
About a month.
20.
She never even talks to me.
21.
One morning she showed up, covered in something.
22.
Crimson.
23.
She was soaked in it from head to toe. It was like she bathed in it.
24.
I brought her in and washed her off. The entire time, she just stood and mumbled.
25.
I don’t know. She was talking really quiet and way too fast.
26.
The red goop she was covered in, it smells like blood. It was disgusting. Actually, I’m pretty sure it was blood.
27.
She sat down and kept mumbling some crap.
28.
To get a cup of water. When I came back, Liz was gone.
29.
I couldn’t have been out of the room for more than three minutes.
30.
In my backyard, rolling on the ground. At first I thought she was just rolling in dirt. Now that I think about it, that is a rather odd thing to do.
31.
Blood, she was rolling and blood.
32.
She saw me watching her and she ran. But, before she can go, she ran into my neighbor. It looked like they knocked into each other pretty hard.
33.
Ms. Shroud
34.
Liz shrieked and bit her. She chomped her drawers down and flung Ms. Shroud into her yard.
35.
Poor Ms. Shroud must have been so scared. She hid her fear quite well though. If I didn’t know better, I would say she was calm when she went back into her house.
36.
Probably when I found the body. It, I mean he, was in my yard. Before then, I just assume the blood that Liz always had was from animals. This was no animal though. This was a human body in a pool of dark red blood. As you can imagine, I was beyond scared.
37.
Buried it of course.
38.
Well, I didn’t want anyone to think I killed him. I could never do something as cruel as that.
39.
When Liz came back I yelled at her to leave. She put a dead body in my yard, I didn’t want her to ever do anything like that again.
40.
She attacked me. She was pulling my hair and scratching me. I grab the nearest object and hit her in the face with it. Luckily for me, it was a poll. It didn't hurt her as much as it should have, but it's in momentarily stunned her. I ran back into my house and lock the door.
41.
Liz threw her body at my door over and over again. After a while, I thought she was going to break the door down.
42.
The fence, the house, even the trees. She was running into anything she could I had no idea what she was doing.
43.
She was laying in my yard, once again, in a puddle of blood. She wasn’t moving, so I just assumed she was sleeping.
44.
Because she was always in blood these days. It was her ‘thing’ now. Some of us like reading, Liz like blood.
45.
I threw a rock at her.
46.
Why do you think? I wanted her to leave!
47.
Liz didn’t move, so I threw another rock at her. That rock didn't wake her either. I started to wonder if she was dead or something.
48.
Being incredibly Brave person I am, I went out to see why she wasn’t moving.
49.
Liz was dead.
50.
She wasn’t breathing and she had no pulse.
51.
There was so much blood. Crimson everywhere, blood everywhere.
52.
I cleaned up and sat, mourning the loss of my friend.
53.
So! She may have done some bad things her last months, but she was still my friend.
54.
Everything is pretty normal now. Liz’s grandmother said the funeral date. It won’t be an open casket, but you already know that, because you all are the ones that refuse to give back her body! I doubt Ms. Shroud will come to the funeral. Not only because Liz bit her, she’s been acting a bit weird lately. She’s probably just sick, right?

This is based off the format of "Orange" by Neil Gaiman. It is written as if the narrator is being questioned by the police. This was an assignment that I did in my creative writing class. Enjoy ????