Unnatural Perfection | Teen Ink

Unnatural Perfection

October 14, 2017
By Anonymous

“Class, Can you name most common way to cure cancer?” Mr. Jones challenged my freshman class. About half of the class’ hands went up without hesitation. Mr. Jones asked all of them to say the answer out loud, and all of those students blurted the answer out in sync. All of them had what looked like a tattoo of a small circle on the inside of their wrists going into their bloodstream. Some of those people were my friends who got genetically modified over the summer to be healthier, smarter, and some even prettier. The power of technology changing humans for the better is amazing.
“Mom!” I screamed as I burst through the front door.
“How was your first day? What’s wrong?” my mother, Sally asked.
“Everything is wrong and horrendous, I hate school. Guess what? Half of my class is genetically modified and they’re all perfect, I can’t even compete with them. I hope my friends will continue to like me for being myself. I just need to try a little harder in school so I’m just as smart as they are,” I sighed.
“Alice, you’ve placed in the top five percent for intelligence, they’re not that much smarter than you,” Sally whispered.
“I guess you’re right,” I admitted.
Dear Diary,
9/7/36: Mr. Jones just assigned an essay due tomorrow, which is making me exceedingly stressed. I need to do well on this essay, so I can prove my natural intelligence to myself and others. I just hope that I can be as good as them.
Dear Diary,
9/8/36: As I was walking into my apartment after school, I received an alert on my cell phone about a new article posted to the online New York Times. The title stated that New York has over four million genetically modified humans as of today. New York has a little more than eight million people living here, meaning that just about half of the people in New York have been genetically modified. I read the article, and most of those people live longer. They are certainly better than us, natural humans. I just hope I can prove myself and others wrong by doing exceptionally well on my essay for the research paper we just handed in about the American Revolution. I’m thrilled to be able to get my grade back tonight due to the new devices the school got, which grades everything quickly and fairly, according to grade level. It’s incredible!
Dear Diary,
9/9/36: It turns out, I got a ninety percent on my essay, which is outstanding, but the class average was a ninety-four because almost all the genetically modified kids got a ninety- three or above because they are all perfect, causing my grade to be less amazing than my impression of it. I don’t want to change who I am by getting genetically modified to convince people I’m smart.
I have been feeling a divide between the genetically modified humans and the rest of us. After school, I went to a supermarket a few blocks past my apartment, and I was so excited because I saw this huge sale on fruits and vegetables. I was so excited, I picked out my mom’s favorite fruit, which is strawberries, and then mine, which is oranges, and bought lots of them! When I went to the cash register, Taylor, the cashier, informed me that the sale was only for genetically modified humans. I asked him why and he mumbled that since the company that makes genetically modified humans sponsors the supermarket, the genetically modified humans get a seventy-five percent discount. I can partly understand why there’s a discount, but it certainly shouldn’t be a seventy-five percent one, that’s ridiculous! I ran out the door in the blink of an eye. I was so upset, I couldn’t face anyone on the way home, I walked looking down at the ground until I felt more comfortable in the world, where genetically modified humans are taking over humans. I ran past some more stores that offered discounts for genetically modified humans, rare foods or magazines just for them. This made me wonder why they’re being treated better than us, natural humans. How much longer until they officially become top-priority and first-class citizens? Why do so many people want to change themselves to be perfect, and then end up the same as everyone else who’s genetically modified? I absolutely hate the idea of this desire for perfection because then no one is unique!
Dear Diary,
10/15/36: Over the past few weeks, most natural humans have not been shopping at businesses where they favor and provide special things to genetically modified humans. Those store owners probably got the message that natural humans feel they are being treated unfairly, but they will most likely not do anything about it because they simply don’t care for others, they just care about themselves. If they do make a change to treat all humans equally, I hope it’s sooner rather than later. I really hate shopping at some of the other places where natural humans are allowed, it’s just getting more and more uncomfortable.
A few days ago, the police kicked my mother and I out of our apartment to make some room for genetically modified humans to move in, we were being replaced by them! It is now official that genetically modified humans are first class American citizens. My mother and I have started to form a group with other people who were also kicked out of the apartment complex to work together so that we can all search for new places to live together. I really like these people, we have so much in common already because we all want to be treated equally and don’t want genetically modified humans to take over humanity. I’m glad they can help us out.
Dear Diary,
10/28/36: We just found a nice place to live, and at the moment we are all living together, but the issue of genetically modified humans taking over humanity has gotten much worse. More people are getting genetically modified each day. Now, some stores are only for genetically modified humans. This has even affected my learning, Mr. Jones never calls on me or any other regular humans anymore, he just pretends we’re invisible, as if he can’t even look at us because we're not as great or as special as the genetically modified humans, which I find especially rude. I really don’t appreciate when people treat us, natural humans, unfairly just because they think that the genetically modified humans are better, even though they aren’t, it’s just the advanced technology that's making them smart, talented or attractive, not them! It’s outrageous, this is very discriminatory towards natural humans and I am considering writing a letter to the government about it, but I don’t think they will ever take my side on this issue, they think genetically modified humans make America more advanced and brighter than all other countries. Actually, forget the letter, I’m not good enough and since it’s coming from a natural human, they won’t even open it or hear me out.
Dear Diary,
11/4/36: When I came home from school today, Mom was throwing up and looked terribly sick. I tried everything to comfort her, I fed her soup, gave her medicine, and rested her in bed, but every minute her condition seemed to be getting dangerously worse.
Dear Diary,
11/12/36: It’s been over a week, Mom looks even worse, and I have no clue what she has. I’m really scared. I don’t know how much longer I can take care of her, the apartment and provide other things for the family since my mom is sick, especially since some stores and transportations only allow genetically modified citizens.
Dear Diary,
12/2/36: My mother is still sick, now it’s been a month, and it has gotten tremendously worse. The other people we live with have contributed in taking care of my mother and me, but she keeps getting worse and I have no clue what to do. Maybe she just needs more time to recover, which hopefully is soon. I’m also worried that if this disease spreads, will I get it, or when, it’s completely unpredictable. On top of all of that, it has been impossible to find food anywhere nearby that allows natural humans inside the store.
Dear Diary,
12/17/36: Yesterday, I read a news article about a deadly plague going around the city, and many people are catching the virus. According to the article, only some doctors and hospitals offer treatment since it’s a new virus and some doctors don’t know how to cure it yet. Once I read the news article, I sprinted home to check on my mother to see if she was safe and if she feels any better. I ran down the street and burst open the door to our new house, and turned the corner in the hallway, to find her crawling on her knees trying to reach the kitchen. Immediately, I picked her up, sat her down at the kitchen table, and made soup for her to eat. While the soup was boiling, I checked her fever and asked her if she felt better or worse than yesterday. She gave me two thumbs down, because she was too ill to talk, meaning that not only did she get worse, but this is more than a cold. I turned the stove off and saw her temperature, it read one-hundred-four degrees, and then seconds later the fever climbed to one-hundred-five. I swiftly carried her into the car and drove to the hospital immediately. Once we arrived, I carried her into the hospital and demanded help. Right before we could enter the other set of doors to the waiting room, an officer stopped us and demanded to see our wrists. I showed him our wrists and then said thank you as I walked forward carrying my mother.
“Hold up, you’re not allowed to enter the hospital, you’re not genetically modified,” The officer yelled.
  I felt as if was exploding! My rage broke free and I screamed at him with venom in my voice.
“So, who cares, my mother is dying, you need to save her,” I screamed aggressively.
“I’m really sorry, but I can’t help you,” He insisted, locking the entrance door.
“You must help us, please, please, please,” I cried.
“Now is your time to leave. I’m very sorry, these are just the rules,” snapped the officer.
This is so unfair, I was screaming in my head. I cried as I put my mother back into the car and drove to another hospital that was a bit further away. This time, there was no officer at the entrance, but a sign that stated that they only accept genetically modified humans as their patients. I turned around and started driving to a third hospital to save my mother. I could barely see the road from the collection of tears in my eyes, it was as if a massive storm occurred. As I parked next to the hospital, I noticed there wasn’t a police officer or a poster against natural humans. Maybe the third time really is a charm! I grabbed my mother to carry her to the hospital, but her face was very pale and she looked asleep. I checked for her heart rate and found nothing. I cried for help on the street and everyone just walked past me, I saw they would glance at our wrists and continue on their way. If only our world valued us natural humans as equals to the genetically modified humans, I’m sure my mother would’ve survived.


The author's comments:

This is a short story about societies desire to be perfect. The story focuses on our future if we keep demanding perfection.