The Companion | Teen Ink

The Companion

Starting at age 10, humans are given animals that develop along side. These animals can range anywhere from a goldfish to a horse or even a dragon. The only catch is that they are assigned based on your behavior during childhood. For example, if a child behaves rather wildly and likes to climb, they may get a monkey as a companion. Or if a child lies and has many secrets, they may get a snake as a companion.

Gabrielle was a calm child but very strong. She was as silent as the nights but as bright as day. She was also very clever, and for this many people believed she would get a snake as a companion. Gabrielle knew better than to listen to those people that thought she would get a snake, she wasn't like that. She was clever and that was that.

Gabrielle was very much like her mother. They shared many traits. They both had long, straight, black hair that often got in the way of daily tasks. They both had strong Jaws and freckles that covered the bridges of their noses. Most importantly, their personalities were very similar. Gabrielle believed that she would get the same companion as her mother, as they were so similar.

If Gabrielle was being truthful, at first she hated that she was so much like her mother. If she was like her mother, she would most likely get the same companion as her. Gabrielle thought that the deer was stupid, she hated it. She tried to be different than her mother. She acted out, and tried to behave as bad as possible, all because she really didn't want a deer as a companion.

This lasted years until her Mother finally sat her down and told her of the amazing things deer can do. Since then she had grown to love deer and regretted her actions from years before. She spent  many years after that discussion spending time with her Mother and her deer, named Chestnut. Gabrielle learned many thing about deer and how to take care of them. She was ready.

"Mom, are you sure I'll get a deer?" Asked Gabrielle, turning to look at her Mother from her spot on the couch in the living room. It was the day before Gabrielle's Tenth birthday, and she had been very anxious the past few days.

"Gabrielle, you and I both know that you're going to get a deer. Everyone in the neighborhood is certain, too." Her Mother sighed, throwing carrots into the boiling water on the stove. She was currently making one of Gabrielle's favorite dinners to help with the worry.

"But Mom, what if i don't?" Gabrielle sighed.

"Quit worrying Gabrielle. Everything will be fine." Her Mother replied.

Gabrielle got up from her spot on the couch to plop on one of the kitchen chairs. "When will dinner be done? I'm starving." She asked. The last thing she ate was a banana, and it wasn't even that good.

"In about thirty minutes," Answered her Mother, "go work on your homework until then."

"Okay!" Replied Gabrielle, getting up and running to her room.

___

Today was the day Gabrielle would be getting her companion. To say she was excited would be an understatement. She was thrilled! Today she was finally going to be getting her companion and she couldn't be happier. There was still that small little thought in the back of her mind. The one that thought maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't be getting a deer. But of course, she was definitely going to get a deer. Right?

"Mom! How much longer until we get there?" Gabrielle asked. They were currently on their way to the place where she would be picking up her companion. The building was located a fair distance away from any cities and counties. So it was going to be a while.

" Probably another hour. And please stop asking, I know you're excited but this is you sixth time!" Her mother replied.

"okay, sorry mom," Gabrielle replied, "I'll just sleep until we get there then."

___

They arrived at the Building forty seven minutes later. Gabrielle wasn't able to sleep at all because of the excitement flooding her senses. But here they were, right in front of the place where Gabrielle would be getting her companion. Gabrielle step out of the car, admiring the giant logo at the front of the building. It was very creative, she thought, the shiny logo with the squiggles shaped as animals.

She joined her mother at walking into the building. They stepped inside and made their way to the front desk. It was plain. Not at all what Gabrielle imagined. But that still didn't take  the excitement away from Gabrielle.

After checking in at the front desk, they were told to wait. Gabrielle was nervous now. Today was the day. What if she didn't get a deer? No, she shouldn't think like that!

"Gabrielle?" Said a man, stepping out of a room.

Gabrielle and her Mother stood up and made their way over to the man.

"Follow me please." He said, and turned to lead Gabrielle and her Mother through the doors. Gabrielle reached for her mothers hand and her mother gave it an encouraging squeeze.

They passed many animals in cages, and turned many corners. Some of the animals startled Gabrielle because many of them made loud noises. After walking for many minutes, they finally came to a stop in front of a cage. Inside the cage stood a snowy white. Like that Gabrielle's world shattered.

___

Gabrielle currently was in her front yard playing with her fox, Snow. Today was their third year anniversary, so they were celebrating by taking the day off to spend time together. They rarely had time to play. At first Gabrielle despised her fox but over the course of three years, she had grown to love her fox. All her friends also got their companions, but Gabrielle loved her own the most. She always would.

I was inspired to write this piece after a dream i had one night.