Guitar God | Teen Ink

Guitar God

By SynysterLee BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
SynysterLee BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois

"They'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous, failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times. But it's a choice. You can choose to fail or you can choose to succeed."

It was late, around 9:30 I was walking home from Daddy O’s music shop after a meet up with a few friends. I had my Schecter “Synyster” Guitar on my back and my portable amp in hand. After about fifteen minutes of walking a bright golden light appeared in middle of the road, I was confused but intrigued by the light. Then, out of nowhere a shiny demon appeared in front of me he said, “Play a solo for Satan to hear, or I’ll eat your soul.”

I adjusted my bandana and sunglasses and said, “Ok.” I set my amp down beside my feet and got my guitar out of its bag and plugged the guitar chord into the jax. The demon smirked “ You think you will please Satan? No mortal has ever played a solo that has pleased The King of Hell.”
I smirked and said, “Just watch.” I turned on the amp and began to shred, then I switched it up by doing a bit of djenting. I began to see a frightened look appear on the demon's face. I sped up my solo up even faster and the demon gasped and said, “OH NOOOOO.” I ended the solo with a long whammy bar nose dive and just reamed on it, all of a sudden, the demon was gone.
A scroll had been placed where the demon had once stood, it said, “Young mortal, you have very much talent and potential with that guitar of yours, I hope your love for metal never dies, from now on you are a metal guitar god like, Eddie Van Halen, Dimebag Darrell, Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine and even Synyster Gates.”
I smiled and continued on my way home. The whole walk home I was wondering, what does this mean? Satan saying I’m a guitar god. By the time I got home everyone in my house was in bed and asleep. I put my guitar in the corner where its guitar stand is and placed the amp beside it. I laid down in my bed and kept thinking about my encounter with the demon, then went to bed. When I woke up it was around 8:00 am, I checked my phone like I always do. As I scrolled through my notification on the lock screen it said, I had 1 new message from a California area code. The Imessage text read, “Hey Brandon, It’s Brian Haner Jr. but you probably know me by my stage name “Synyster Gates” I was wondering if you wanted to do a jam session with me and the band we’re in the area.” 
My heart beat increased with excitement, I quickly texted back and said, “I’d enjoy that, you guys have always been an inspiration to me, where do you want to meet?” After about 2 minutes he had texted back saying “ Your house will be fine, we’ll be there in about 5 minutes.”
After about 5 minutes I heard a tour bus pull up in front of my house, it was the Avenged Sevenfold bus. All of the members of the band came out of the bus behind M. Shadows. They walked up the walkway and i heard them knock on the door. I ran downstairs and flung open the door, they were all crowded around Synyster Gates, they all said at once, “Hey, are you the kid that we heard about from Satan’s messenger?” I quickly said, “Yes! I’m Brandon.”
They all smiled and said, “Well, lets see what you got.” I gestured them to come in and I showed them my guitar room, most of my guitars were hanging from the wall and some were on guitar stands on the floor. Amps covered one side of the room, the other side was my recording station. The band looked around at the room and said “You got a really nice setup for how young you are.”
I smiled and said, “Thanks, I’ll be right back I gotta go get my favorite guitar.” they said, “All right we gotta go get our equipment from the bus anyway, we’ll meet you back in here in a few minutes.”
I said that sounds good and started to walk upstairs toward my room. I opened my door and walked over to my guitar and picked it up off of the guitar stand it was on. I flung it over my back and walked downstairs, the band was already almost setup with all of their equipment in the guitar room. I picked up one of my favorite amps and got a guitar chord.
I told Synyster, Zacky, and Johnny that they could pick out any amp that pleased them. After picking their amps the three guitarist said together, “Show us what you got”
I plugged in my guitar and turned on the amp, I started off by doing a long nose dive then playing Eddie Van Halen’s “Eruption” solo. Then, I switched it up again by doing some of my own shredding. Each guitarist exchanged some looks of approval to each other and the devil horns hand gesture to me.
After i was done they all said, “You got some real talent young shredder.” I replied by saying, “Thanks.” Eventually, we began our jam session and after a few hours of just doing random riffs the band said that they had to go because their concert with Metallica was in a few hours.
Synyster Gates gave me a V.I.P pass to the show and said “I’ll see you there, oh yeah, Kirk Hammett will meet with you soon” then the band entered their bus then left.