Darkened Abyss | Teen Ink

Darkened Abyss

By Kaylan Heckman SILVER, Oak Grove, Missouri
Kaylan Heckman SILVER, Oak Grove, Missouri

The silent branches of the naked winter trees seemed to constantly close in on me as I run for my life through the forest. I could hear the strong howling wind as it pressed against my face and tangled my hair. I could barely concept the sensation of the other types of things that brushed against my numbing body.

'Somebody, help me!' I yelled at the top of my lungs in vain. The cold air stung my lungs.

A shiver danced up my spine when I heard the hooting of an owl, the screeches of disturbed bats, and my own footsteps in the snow. Nothing else made a sound and that was the sound that I listened for the hardest.

Then, I heard the blood freezing howl that pierced the winter night sky. I stopped and listened and then I could hear the soft thud of wolf's paws as he rushed towards me and my breathing accelerating.

'Oh god, I'm going to die!' I yelled and probably out of shear will to live, I began to run even though it felt as though winter had made a bed inside my bones and froze them solid.

As I ran, I thought about as to why I was so stupid to come out here on my own. And only for a simple walk! Another cold wind made me shiver and I wonder why I left my warm jacket on a rock four miles behind. Less weight would probably to help me move faster, though I've never heard of a human that could outrun a hungry wolf.

I heard a twig crack somewhere near me that snapped me out of my thoughts and froze my feet to the solid ground. I spun around swiftly, my eyes darting through the trees for my pursuer.

'What was that?!' I shrieked in fear.

Then, I saw the movement behind a snow covered, leafless tree.

I saw the wolf's blood thirsty, great golden eyes that watched my darkened silhouette. I heard the growl rumble low in his massive chest. Then, he launched at me and pinned me to the ground. I felt as if I were a mouse under a cat.

He held me there. I could feel his boiling breath on my face and I watched as the crimson salvia droop from his gigantic fangs, probably from another prey.

I felt the impulse to punch him but my body was too paralyzed by the realization of how dangerous the situation actually was. Then, my finger twitched and I began to struggle to no avail under his massive body.

He lowered his head and his mouth opened wider and then I felt pain surge through my body, casting out all the coldness. He was eating me alive. A very short pain because now I was in total darkness, my senses completely gone. I traveled into a lonely, black abyss.

I'm not sure how many years I have spent here. I have no idea where I am at. The one thing that I do know is that I am wandering around in a lonely, blackened world. No one is here to guide me out. No one is here to hold my hand and tell me that I will be all right. I have no one and nothing to associate with.

I wonder is this really death? Or am I just dreaming an endless dream? Or is it a simple nightmare that I haven't woken from yet. All I know is that for right now I am stuck in this world. And I don't think that I will be exiting it any time soon. I seriously doubt anyone will save me. I guess all I can do is just wander around until I find something to help me leave this darkened abyss. I fully understand after a while. I'm dead and my body was probably digesting in the wolf's stomach right now.

Basically all that I've been writing is poetry and I wanted to try and do something new. I like horror so might as well and try and write a short story. I wrote this for my school's horror story thing for Halloween.