Cafeteria | Teen Ink

Cafeteria

March 16, 2017
By SOSPirate BRONZE, Jeffersonton, Virginia
SOSPirate BRONZE, Jeffersonton, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Cafeteria
Foster was suspended from school for ten days. It wasn’t necessarily his fault, but he was suspended for it anyway. It wasn’t his fault that he was a bad cook, in a matter of fact that was why he took the culinary class in the first place. Foster and his class was cooking for the school kids that day. His team, a group of three kids was assigned to making the chocolate chip fudge cupcakes for dessert. Foster was assigned to making the batter while Joe would bake them and Lucy to put the icing on. Since their jobs came later on in the cupcake making process, they left Foster alone for a while to talk to other friends at the spaghetti station. This turned out to be a fatal mistake. Foster who once again was not a good cook, had added quite a lot of salt to the batter. To make up for his mistake he added a ton of sugar to the mix as well. Then, without bothering to taste it, he mixed up the batter and handed off to Joe. A few hours later they came out of the oven filling the kitchen air with the smell of fudge. Lucy finished off the desserts with thick dark brown icing and a ruby red strawberry. They finished just in time too, since the first students for lunch were starting to file into the cafeteria. Everything seemingly went fine until dessert. The freshly grilled burgers were delicious and the red pasta sauce tasted like it was made in heaven. However, dessert was a different story. Within the students’ first few bites of the cupcakes they became incapacitated, and more than half were sent to the nurse. A quick investigation found Foster at fault for poisoning over half the school’s population and he was suspended on the spot, forced to walk home in the middle of the school day. It also came as no surprise to Foster when he came back to school he was given an F for that assignment as well.


The author's comments:

This story is relatable to me since I can't cook to save my life.