They Watch | Teen Ink

They Watch

February 10, 2017
By J.Stone BRONZE, Austin, Texas
J.Stone BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Mr. Troy Fuller, aged 28, lived at 1355 Primrose Dr. He had your typical family of four: a wife named named Martha, as well as a son and daughter, Ralph and Bree. They lived in a little white house in the suburbs, just like everyone else, and held jobs that they had no passion for. See they had no passion because they were told how to live, and were restricted from any and all forms of expression and individuality.
And they were watched.


Society as a whole has been taught to suppress their individuality, for to be different is to create conflict. Conflict is wrong. The Government has managed to establish domestic peace, even down to arguments between siblings. There is no need for therapists or conflict resolution; everything is good, nothing is wrong. The people don’t even risk conflict in private, The Government always finds out.


They are always watched.


Mr. Fuller always wondered why he wasn’t allowed to express himself, why someone’s inner beauty was considered so harmful to society, after all, it’s what makes humans… human. Mr. Fuller often wondered if those he interacted with daily had the same thoughts, or even some urge to break out of this prison of sameness and show the true beauty that they are capable of. But these thoughts he kept to himself.
He was always watched.


The Government of this peaceful land has many ways of ensuring compliance with the laws of the land: informants, cameras, behavioral analysis, and even rumors of mind reading machines, though the true extent is unknown. The Government does not like non-compliance, and those who decide to pursue such paths have a nasty habit of disappearing in the night, only to be replaced by a new family the next day.
The Government watches everyone.


One day at work, Troy noticed a feeling of tension in the air. Not good. Tension breeds conflict. Conflict brings The Government. Everyone in his office was on edge, concerned of what may come from this tension. It happened at 1:47 p.m. Two of his coworkers collided purely on accident, but the tension of the day had worn their nerves. A conflict was about to ensue, and that would bring The Government.
The Government watches everything.


Troy didn’t want to see the situation get worse, he couldn’t stand the thought of his co workers meeting some unknown fate simply for expressing themselves: a basic human right. He had come close many times to outbursts of his thoughts, from the time his daughter was dumped, to when he was forced to change jobs and upend his life for no reason whatsoever. He never slipped. But this was straw that broke the camel’s back. You see this time Mr. Fuller let his innermost thoughts control his actions, and he made a mistake with consequences of unknown magnitude. He spoke his mind. He let every one of his deep thoughts be heard, and told every single one of his coworkers the injustices placed on their society by a government they have no say in. In that moment, he let out everything he’d ever held back like a dam bursting wide, releasing the raging river it had kept secure for so long. In that moment he didn’t think about himself or his family or what may happen as repercussion to his outburst.


Mr. Andy Moore lives at 1355 Primrose Dr. He has your typical family of four: a wife named Michelle, as well as a son and daughter, Josh and Christa. They live in a little white house in the suburbs, just like everyone else, and hold jobs that they have no passion for. See they have no passion because they are told how to live, and are restricted from any and all forms of expression and individuality.


And they too are watched.


The author's comments:

This piece was written for an assignment on dystopian societies.