The Spy and The Student | Teen Ink

The Spy and The Student

February 8, 2009
By cittiecat PLATINUM, Red Hook, New York
cittiecat PLATINUM, Red Hook, New York
20 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
If I didn't have writing, I'd be running down the street hurling grenades in peoples faces. -Paul Fussell


'Taylor!'Bethany Mitchell ran down the hallway toward Taylor Richard's locker. 'What's up Bethany? What's wrong?' Taylor asked, confused. 'Taylor . . . there are . . . spies after you . . . follow me!' She answered. Bethany grabbed Taylor's arm, and rushed down the stairs toward the cafeteria, pulling him behind her. Taylor, half surprised by her strength, half surprised by the short, jumbled explanation, said, 'Bethany! You're not making any sense! Slow down!'
'Can't!' She replied. Bethany stopped in front of a heating vent, pushed a loose screw on it, and the vent fell open. 'Get in' she said, looking over her shoulder. 'WAA . . . ?' Taylor gasped. 'IN!' Bethany ordered, and seconds later Taylor was sitting uncomfortably in the vent. Bethany followed, closing the vent behind her. 'Can you explain this all to me now?'Taylor begged. 'Shhhh . . . 'Bethany calmly replied. She opened her handbag, and pulled out a pair of sunglasses Taylor had seen Bethany wear before.
Taylor went inside his own little world, thinking about how he could escape this insane girl. He could see it all now . . . Headlines screaming, BOY SAVES INSANE TEENAGE GIRL FROM HERSELF AFTER TAKEN HOSTAGE! Maybe the headline could not make him sound like a wimp . . . Yeah, girls don't dig wimps, he thought to himself.
Suddenly a shadow passed the grate. Taylor shifted to see if it was someone he could get help from. Doing so, his belt clanged against the metal interior of the vent. Taylor could almost hear Bethany stop breathing. The shadow stopped.
'Agent 319? Ahem . . . Taylor? I'm here to collect you, to bring you to headquarters. SHOW YOURSELVES AND COME QUIETLY!'
Bethany quickly brought her finger to her lips and frantically motioned Taylor to keep quiet. Taylor confused, decided to follow her advice, considering the mystery silhouettes angry voice. Bethany shuffled quietly through her bag, grabbed something Taylor couldn't identify, and held it tightly in her fist, glaring at the vent door. The shadow sounded to be shuffling around the cafeteria, looking for the two teenagers.
Then, as Taylor's heart stopped, the figure stopped in front of the grate and began to hit around it. Bethany grabbed him by the wrist and took a deep breath. Then she said in a loud voice,
'Time to go!'
She kicked out the grate, knocking the first intruder down, and, letting go of Taylor's arm, as the others began to circle around them.
'You do some kind of sport, which involves running, right?' Bethany quickly asked Taylor.
'Yeah. Why?'He answered, suddenly out of breath.
'You see that fire exit? Once you see an opening, run as fast as you can out of it. Don't look back. Keep running until I MYSELF stop you, got it?'
'Wait, what about you?'
'I'm going to do my job.' Bethany gave him a devilish grin, and attacked the nearest guy, knocking him down in a single blow. She began easily taking them down, and Taylor, following Bethany's instructions, began to escape. The second she saw he was out of the way, She took the tear gas bomb in her hand and slammed it on the floor, just before running out of the cafeteria after Taylor.
Taylor was halfway across town when Bethany showed up in a beat up car from the seventies. 'What the hell is that?'
Bethany rolled her eyes. 'Shut up and get in.'
Taylor sighed as he climbed into the passenger side of the car.
'I swear, a big shot I'll do as I please super girl, and she's cruising around in the most beat up car I've ever seen.'He mumbled.
'It's more inconspicious this way, sweetie.'She replied without looking away from the road. 'And being inconspicious is my job. Along with making sure you don't go and do something stupid, and get yourself killed.'
'Do I do that often?'Taylor glanced up from his hands to look at her.
She chuckled.'More often than you could imagine'
Taylor found that highly unlikely. He was one of the most boring people you'd ever meet. He much preferred that life. No danger, no compromise, no problems other than SATs. However, how much he liked this life, he found it quite boring. A question nagged him over and over until he finally asked, 'Where are you taking me?'
'The safehouse.'
'Which would be where?'
'I'd say another days' drive.'
'Listen, I understand something freaky is going on here, yet, I want to go home.'
'Sorry, no can do.'
Taylor was shocked. He knew he wouldn't be able to take her. She knew it, too, from the smug smile that rested calmly on her face.
'My parents . . . ' He stammered. 'They'll call the cops! You'll be arrested for kidnaping me . . '
'HA!' She laughed bitterly. ' Tony and Georgine wouldn't have it in them. They wouldn't have a chance, either.'
'Wait, my parents are Greg and Karen . . . '
' Yeah, their cover names are. They're just agents, Taylor. Your real parents? Well, telling you that would be out of place.'
Before Taylor could react, the car lurched forward at such a speed that it would have been preposterous to guess it had done so on its own.
'Damn it.' Bethany sighed under her breath.
' What's going on?' Taylor asked as he jolted forward.
'Tell me, Taylor, have you ever seen a car chase in a movie?'Bethany asked quickly.
Taylor thought for a second before answering. 'Well, yeah. I hate to ask, but w-why?'
Bethany didn't answer him. She pressed a few buttons on the dashboard of the car before pulling on her seatbelt. ' You might want to put on your seatbelt Taylor.'
'Huh?'
Bethany hit a button on the steering wheel and the car sped up to about 150mph on the speedometer. Taylor began to scream, but the sound was too loud. Bethany wove through cars on the highway. His fingernails dug so deep into the leather of his seat that it left permanent marks.
Then, almost as soon as the horror began, it ended. Bethany unbuckled her seatbelt and turned to Taylor as she turned into a Mobile parking lot. She parked before she said anything to him. She glanced at his still horror stricken face and frozen position, and promptly burst out laughing.
'What's so funny?'Taylor asked, glaring at her.
'I told you to put your seatbelt!' She choked out in between gasps for breath.
' Yeah, like, two seconds before you turned it to hyprodrive!' Taylor replied angrily. 'How did you avoid getting pulled over, anyway, Bethany? You got some sort of superpower to avoid that sort of thing?'
' For the last time, I am an agent of an organization created in order to keep quiet the many secrets of the world. I'm talking about deadly secrets. We collect and protect the worlds' secrets.'
'So you're a spy?'
Bethany's eyes flashed. ' I suppose.'
'Than why don't you take your little agency and your super car and leave me the hell alone! I never signed up for this! I don't have any stupid government secret that you're after. I'm a high school senior! At the smallest school in the United States!'
'I'm not saying you know anything.'
'Than why are you kidnaping me?'
'Because you're the most valuable spy material available, and if the B. A. gets their hands on you, our agency will be destroyed.'
' So I'm being kidnaped because OF A DAMN COMPETITION?!?'
'NO. You are being taken away from your pitiful little life as a second class nerd to return to your sister, your only family left in existence to become one of the greatest field spies to ever live! AND, DO YOU EVEN KNOW THE BEST PART? YOU'RE NOT GONNA GIVE ME A HARD TIME ABOUT IT EITHER! GOT IT? Or else I'll strike you down with one of my super powers!'
Bethany started the car again and as she pulled out of the parking lot, she mumbled, 'Can't believe this... I feel like a freakin' baby sitter...'
Taylor rolled his eyes as Bethany pulled out of the gas station, and back onto the highway.


The author's comments:
this is actually only the first chapter of a story I've been writing since 2006. I love to write, especially fantasy, and this story is still the best I've written yet.