The Darkest Night | Teen Ink

The Darkest Night

January 23, 2017
By nick_hayes BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
nick_hayes BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


The Darkest Night

As Newt stood up in the caravan she felt the hot sun on her face and the wind whipping through her bright blue hair. She and the crew were running low on food and were behind schedule, setting them a couple miles too close to the night. As she looked back she saw the rocky desert landscape behind her stretching for miles and saw the night closing in. To make things harder for her and the crew she had fallen off the caravan a couple weeks back and had a broken foot as well as a fractured wrist. Forcing her to be useless in helping to man the caravan with the other members of the crew. Instead, she had to stand watch to see how close they were to the night and watch for other clans waiting to pirate their caravan.  
As far as anyone knew, no one had ever survived through the freezing night, all buildings would freeze up and then crumble to the ground from the insane temperatures of cold, no matter how strong the structures were. We don’t like to talk about what happens to people when they get caught in the cold. In order to not die from the night, all the different crews and clans must keep constantly moving so they can stay with the day. Some groups focus on setting back other clans like it is some sort of race, but other clans focus on protecting themselves and making sure that they are always moving. 
Newt started worrying as she saw the night closing in;  it seemed like they were going far too slow. 
"Who's driving over there?" She yelled at Shakia, the gun-man mounted right over the driving pit.
"That would be Aaryn" Shakia yelled back over the howling winds.
"Tell him to go faster, would ya?" Newt shouted.
After a minute or two Shakia yelled back, "He says that he is going as fast as he can!" 
Newt looked back out at the landscape as she felt the temperature drop, she then looked back just in time to see one of the members of the crew kick her off of the caravan.

.  .  .

When Newt next woke she could feel the scratching grit as she opened her eyes. She was sore all over and could feel small icicles starting to form on her face, and her body was shaking from the cold. She nervously checked the horizon. There was still just a little daylight. As she sat there shivering, a flood of questions arose. How long have I been here? Why did they kick me out? How long do I have to survive? 
Beginning to panic, Newt started to search for anything that might help her make it out alive. It was only twilight, so she still had a chance of survival. Then she found it. There was a motorbike! Someone in her crew must have left it behind to give a small chance of making it out of the night! "If I am going to make it out alive, I will have to go extremely fast," she thought as she limped over to the motorbike. Because she had a broken foot, there was some trouble getting on the bike, but after much toil and labor, she finally got into a comfortable position on the bike.
Newt needed to get out of this cold, so right off the bat she went full throttle. As she went riding through the freezing desert landscape her hands started to get numb and her muscles started to cramp up, but she persevered. A couple miles later the motor started to smoke then promptly died. As she panicked, she lost balance and crashed in a small ditch. 

.  .  .

When Newt opened her eyes she realized that the covers had fallen off her bed. "What a weird dream!" She thought as she pulled the covers back on. She Glanced over at her alarm clock; it read 3:27AM, "good! Three more hours of sleep!" She thought, then she drifted off yet again thinking of a different yet complex world.