The Wizard | Teen Ink

The Wizard

By David.Hipp BRONZE, Downers Grove, Illinois
David.Hipp BRONZE, Downers Grove, Illinois

The elderly man reached into his garden seeing the lush landscape, the greens leaping out at him. His cheery landscape was on a small hill overlooking a grand castle and a rich village. Needing a rest he decided it was time to take a break in his plan. As he sat down on his wicker chair for a rest he saw gloomy, dark clouds up ahead. He being a powerful wizard found it odd seeing as he had not not sensed it. “Perhaps,” he said to himself. “This is just sign that I cannot complete my work.” As he relaxed himself he thought of what he was attempting to make. The thought had came to him in a dream; an amulet of great power that would help the world. He imagined the amulet, five bands; some calm blue glass, one of a clear, truthful yet unnamed color glass, one pink ceramic and one yellow glass. All pieces had fused together into a complex, undefinable shape. All bands had all been various textures, rough or smooth but never in between. Some pieces would have serpentine copper wire wrapping around some of the fragments in powerful coils. Suddenly lightning shot across the sky as if splitting it open. As the the old wizard watched, another bolt hit the poor man’s garden, smoke erupting from the charred remains. Then out of the devilish landscape emerged a ominous figure. The figure’s cloak flapped around him, a summer’s day felt like it turned to a cold autumn night. The wizard braced himself for combats producing snake-like hieroglyphics twirling in the wind ready to strike down this evil apparition.
“Stop.”, commanded The Cloaked Power calmly. He waved away the Wizard’s powerful spell as one would wave away a dead leaf.
“By the powers of evil you shall perish!”, yelled Death as who it was easy for the wizard to identity.
Then the wizard saw his imagined amulet, his life's work shoot forth a beam of great power through the Wizard’s heart, then Death reclaimed his amulet and took the wizard’s soul.