Rinse and Repeat | Teen Ink

Rinse and Repeat

By TheRealMemeWriter BRONZE, Eaton, Colorado
TheRealMemeWriter BRONZE, Eaton, Colorado

Story inspired by “Majestic” by Wax Fang
Rinse and repeat
Every day I wake up, feeling true joy, true happiness.  It’s always sunny, I always wake up to my favorite song, and it’s always the weekend.  I always go on a walk in the park, not realizing that it’s exactly the same.  Not realizing that I am trapped.
***
The alarm clock comes on, “Good morning Glücklich city, it’s currently sunny, 78o, and it’s looking like there is a zero percent chance of rain!  Anyways our next song is by a little lesser known band, Wax Fang, so kick back and relax to the song “Majestic” enjoy!  Have a good day and stay sunny!” the radio personality exclaimed.  The gentle guitar at the beginning of the song gives me a pleasant way to start my day.  I like how it sounds, but I just realised that I’ve never truly listened to the lyrics to hear what they truly mean.  I don’t care though, I just close my eyes, smile, and nod my head to the music.
I take my shower, without having to adjust it at all, the temperature is my favorite setting.  My shower was about 15 minutes long, but the water never went cold.  I think I finally know true happiness I thought to myself.  I go up to brush my teeth and realize that they’re white, and my breath smells clean.  Come to think of it, I taste a minty freshness in my mouth.  I look at my head and my hair is perfectly done, parted on the left and combed from front left to back right.  I look down at my body and I’m fully dressed, in my favorite shirt and shorts.
I walk down stairs and see that eggs, bacon, and chocolate chip pancakes are neatly plated, they look like the advertisements that make the food look four times better than they are.  Coffee, already poured but still hot.  This whole time I think nothing of it, I just enjoy it.  I take my first bite of everything and they are the fluffiest, most savory, succulent bites I’ve ever taken.  The bacon, perfect amount of crisp.  The eggs, sunny side up and slightly runny, just the way I like them.  The pancakes, fluffy with the perfect blend of butter and syrup.  And each bite just gets better and better. The coffee is amazing, not too much creamer but not too little either.  I finish my meal and miraculously all the dishes are gone.
I open up the front door and suddenly I’m walking through the heart of the most beautiful park.  Suddenly, I get this gut feeling, I feel as if I’m experiencing intense deja vu and everything today has already happened.  I shake it off and keep walking but I feel extremely dizzy, so I take a deep breathe and it’s putride, like burnt hair and the waste management plant had a baby.  The park that was once beautiful is now a dump, with litter and dead trees as far as the eye can see.  I sniffle a few times to make sure I really just smelled the rancid odor, the more I breathe in the better it smells, and the prettier the park gets.
That’s when I see her. She’s facing away, but I feel as if she’s the most beautiful women in the world. She’s got to be 6’2”, I like my women tall. Her long, brown, voluminous hair, gently blowing in the wind is like something out  of a movie. She begins to turn around and I see the side of her face. The deja vu comes back, but I get this weird hazy vision of me walking away with my head hanging. When I come to, all the grass in the park is dead, and the air has begun to stink again. But around her, the grass is green, and the sun is still shining. I decide to fight, what the vision did, I walk up to her.
“Excuse me, miss?” I say as I tap her on the shoulder. She turns around and smiles at me. I see her beautiful face, and all my memories come rushing back to me, but I can’t remember her name. I remember how we were on our fiftieth date, when we got into a crash. The last thing I remember before that was flung from the crash, was her telling me she loved me.
“You’re in a coma, please wake up” she says to me. I reach out to touch her face. A crack starting from where I touched her forms, and it begins to spread. Time is frozen, and my reality shatters.
***
A bright light pierces my eyes. I see a friendly face smiling. “Hello Mr. Magnifica, you’ve been in a coma for almost four months” said the happy nurse. I remember everything, including the woman from the coma’s name. She was my girlfriend, Christine. Tears of joy roll down my cheeks. I feel a sense of relief..
“You have been asleep long enough to have the majority of your injuries have healed, you will be in a lot of pain, but the doctor has prescribed you some painkillers” said the nurse.
“Where is Christine?” I asked.
Her smile fades, “Normally we wait to ahh... break the bad news ahh... an hour or two after you wake up” replied the nurse.
“What bad news?”
“Well, Christine, she didn’t make it. She died an hour after you two got to the hospital”
She continues to talk, but all i hear is ringing, sadness falls on me and weighs me down like a spacesuit made of lead. All I can think of is her, all I can think of is the first time I saw her, I was at the park. I had woken up to the song “Majestic” and it was stuck in my head. I saw her, facing away from me. I was whistling the song when I walked by and she stopped me and told me that was her favorite song. We talked for awhile and then she gave me her number.
***
It’s been two months, I’ve been on my own for about three weeks. Every night I dream about that same day, like I’m still in that coma. The only song I can listen to is “Majestic” and I only and happy when I take my painkillers. I haven’t left my house in a few days. I have decided that the only way I can be with her again is if I die. It’s time to take the painkillers again. I put on the song, and grab the pills, but this time, I take a whole handful, I begin to sing along as I feel myself dying, “I'd rather be dreaming of someone than living alone. If you're searching the lines for a point well, you've probably missed it. There was never anything there in the firs...”
“Please wake up” I hear Christine say.
***
I awake.

The
End

This article was inspire by the song, "Majestic" by Wax Fang and was written for my creative writing class.