The Dream | Teen Ink

The Dream

By Wairimu BRONZE, East Palo Alto, California
Wairimu BRONZE, East Palo Alto, California

“The Calamity” in 3100 was the day the whole world changed. Anonymous people ruled earth and created a REB society. The REB founders never explained to anyone why they prefer to be known as R-E-B, because they believed it’s confidential information.  For the first 4 months they were invested in making their society wealthy, once they discovered oil in the earth's crust. Everyone became rich and developed a  greediness, and  selfishness for more wealth. The oil started to leak throughout the earth’s top crust and caused many environmental issues. The REB army invaded people's homes and made them evacuate the earth. They had a low storage of surplus so they had to inject food serums to maintain a healthy body. They were put on helicopters and were brought to a civilization called the “REBland” created by the REB founders as a new planet. They were in a deep poverty and suffered for months until the REB assigned people with homes. The REB founders made it a rule to never speak about Calamity day ever again. They also made the rule to hide emotions. They believed emotions caused them to abandon earth. They believed emotions was a mental illness that needed to be cured based on all the bad things that has happened because of it. They believed, based on the previous greediness and selfishness everyone developed during the wealth, it provoked the earth into falling apart.  

She was in a forest surrounded by a freshwater lake, and millions of animal species forgotten in calamity day. She dipped her face in the lake,”I’m free…”,she said with passion. Suddenly the lake turned ink black and started burning her flesh. In a painful shock she turned around and saw the whole forest dead with no signs of life and REB men cutting down trees. Suddenly she was locked on a chair connected to tubes injecting a serum in her body and a bunch of traumatizing events went through her mind haunting her, “Am I real….”she asked herself, “ Who is that woman in the cage… tell me who I am”! Drowned with thoughts going through her mind, gradually her dream started to fade away slowly .
Mila woke up in shock just in time for her younger sister to come and wake her for school.
”It’s ok Mila It’s just dad in the lab, you know about that creepy noise,”Harper said with a nervous tone to her voice.
“ It’s fine... it was just one of my dreams…  I’ll tell you more about it at meal injection in the kitchen,”Mila trembled.
At meal injection Mila went on about her horrific dream.
”When I got up I felt it was all real… I don’t think I belong here I have a destiny.”, She continued.
”Wow… how are you able to have dreams?”, Harper said in a interested voice.
“ I don’t know…  but one day I'm going to find out.”, Mila mumbled.
Just then Mila and Harper’s dad walked in to get their meal injection from the fridge and an apple. Their dad never knew about Mila’s unique ability. Ever since Calamity day, Mila and Harper never bonded with their dad nor trusted him. They knew he was hiding a secret but they could never get it out of him. Once their dad injected the serum into their arm and handed them the apples, Mila and Harper were worried he heard about her dream.
”So...what were you girls talking about?”, he mumbled while chewing on his apple.
Harper bit through the apple and swallowed it quickly so she could answer.
”Umm… well we were kind’ve talking about… a school assignment,” Harper said nervously.
“Really…”,avoiding the topic he continued,”Come on girls go to school already!” 
Once their dad quickly removed the tube in their skin and cleaned the blood with his tissue they shook hands and headed for the door.
”Love you dad!”, Mila blurted out.
“Hey, you know about emotions, you should never show them or you can get in big trouble.”, He raged.
  “Don’t EVER forget about calamity day…  that was the day everything changed.”,He thundered.
“That was over a year ago I just want things to go back to the way they were before mom left us!”Mila yelled.
Upset she ran to the bus and threw her backpack on the ground. She remembered the clear memory of calamity day in 3100. She remembered how she  had to leave her home with her father and sister and had to sleep in a shelter. She tried to forget about the pure struggle of finding food and water to survive and wondering why her mother left when they needed her the most. Mila always knew her mother was special. Before the Calamity her mom was her best friend. Her mother always saw the world thru her eyes and understood her feeling almost like they were conjoined into one. After her mother mysteriously left during the Calamity, Mila’s father breeded Harper and her into hating their mother. He told them how much she hated them and how she gave up as a parent.  Gazing through her thoughts in rage, Mila concluded that she hopes she would never become her mother. Based on the neglect in the past Mila believed her mother is pure rotten and she’s better off without her.
Later on after a long day of  distractions from her thoughts Mila came back home. She met with her sister Harper and grabbed the injection and from the kitchen table.
“Come on Mila we should just go and explore sometimes we need to break the rules and not always go by a schedule!’’,Harper grinned while biting through her apple.
“Alright… just for 5 minutes, no more Harper-potamus.”,Mila said in a teasing tone.
  As they walked down the brown, squeaky stairs to the basement  Mila had a conscious telling her that she wasn’t doing the right thing and  something bad was going to happen, but she still went on pushing her conscious aside. As they stepped into the lab there were different serums that had labels verifying if it was strong or weak . Admiring her dad's lab,  Harper glance at a big chart on the left wall.
”Wow… why is there information about you on this wall”?, Harper said in a confused voice. As Mila stayed quiet she read over the info,”Mila age 9, showing signs of emotion at 6:39pm…crying because of a bruise… Mila current age, 16 said “I love you” at 7:49am… .”
“Is this some kind’ve joke… my own dad is keeping tabs on me!”,Mila said in a angry voice.
”Well…  he’s not marking me…”,Harper said in a sassy tone.
With Mila’s feury she took the chart and slammed it on the ground.
”Bang, Squig… ,Rig!”,
Just then Mila and Harper hear an awful noise coming from upstairs.
”No… dads back, we need to hide”,Mila blurted out.
”This can’t be dad Mila.. someones breaking in”,Harper said fearfully.
”You can fit in that hole… go quick!”,Mila said in a scared voice.
“No I'm not going to leave you!”Harper screamed. 
Just then Mila shoves Harper in the hole. And suddenly she was spotted.
”Please don’t hurt me…”,Mila exclaimed.
”... Dad?”Mila’s dad was standing in the middle of robot enforcers dressed in red holding weapons.
“Mila you have to go with them… I know about your dreams… they need to fix you”He yelled.
“Dad I want everything to go back to normal when mom, you, Harper and I lived with no control, freedom, and no expectations!”, Mila said with tears gathering in her eyes.
Mila then ran to him squeezed his wrist and give him a memory of their life before Calamity day and how happy they were. He used a shock taser to prime her off and release the memory.
”Dad why are you doing this… I love you!”, Mila said with tears running down her cheeks.
The enforcer next to her father pushed Mila on the shoulders so hard that it knocked her down. Mila was shocked that her father allowed that enforcer to push her away.
”You're just like your mother… you can’t understand that the world has changed for the better, We are better with dictation…  take her away!.”
Suddenly she was put in a van brought to a REB facility to permanently remove her emotions. Mila suddenly fainted from all the shock.
Mila you’ll be ok I promise… I love you sweetheart. Her mom laid a gentle kiss on Mila’s forehead.  Mom don’t go I don’t want to be alone…  please don’t leave me again. Mila chased after her mom while she drifted away.Mila woke up in a harsh gasp seeing a tall, honey browned skinned guy with hazel brown eyes staring at her.
”Who are you!”Mila exclaimed.”SHH!... we have to go they're gonna kill us”. He said in a breathless voice removing the tubes on her body.
Not realizing that she was covered with tubes connected in her body she was starting to panic.
”No...no it can’t be real”, Mila said in a quiet voice.
”Sadly it is… but once we leave we won’t come back trust me”,he said continuing to unravel her.
“Where are you taking me I don’t even know your name”,Mila said.
”My name is Leroy Durand”,He said.
He grabbed her by the hand and burst through the lab facility. Once they reached outdoors there was the end of  “REB” floating in mid air, surrounded by clouds.
“We have to jump”,Leroy yelled.
Yanking his hand off of hers she said,”I’m not going to jump with you… I don’t trust you with my life!”He stopped and turned slowly to Mila.
He stared deep into her eyes trying to read her. Mila tried to be mad at him but she couldn’t. She noticed his kind heart just by looking at him which made her build trust. Suddenly, she slowly grabbed his hand and Leroy and Mila smiled at each other, then jumped off REBland.
Once they saw signs of the old earth that was banned from living, they suddenly landed in a lake. Once Leroy saw Mila drowning in the lake he quickly grabbed her and swam her to shore. Coughing and hacking water Mila and Leroy made their way to the grass.
”I can’t believe we just did that”!,Mila yelled.
Suddenly Leroy took a towel and placed it on Mila’s mouth.
”Mila stay calm everything's gonna be ok”, Leroy said while continuing his actions.
Mila dozed off onto Leroys hands and blacked out.
Once Mila awoke in an abandoned shack unaware of anything Leroy said,”Hi, eat this”,He handed Mila a piece of bread.
  “I want you to meet someone”,Leroy said.
Just then Mila stood up and started punching Leroy on the arm.
“I trusted you… why did you make me pass out!”,Mila raged.
“Sorry Mila I had to…  you could die if your brain wasn’t stabilized”,Leroy said.
Once Mila calmed down and apologized to Leroy for overreacting, Leroy guided Mila to another room in the shack.
“Before you meet this person you need to know my story”Leroy said.
Leroy then laid his hands on Mila’s head and showed her a vision of his childhood.”Mama! Mama! May I play outside?,Leroy asked.” “Ok only this time, after all it’s your birthday”,Leroys mom said. Young Leroy dashed to the door and played with his friends.”Ahhh…. No no no how do you know about my nightmare last night… why are you showing me visions!”,the young boy screamed. “I’m so sorry...I didn’t mean to!”,young Leroy said. Leroys mom ran outside and took Leroys hand off the boys head. “What did I tell you about your ability Leroy”,she glared at him. His mother grabbed him by the arm and sent him to his room and locked him in the door. From the other side of the door his mother continued, “Your ability is evil you can’t keep on doing this…  you just can’t Leo”, She said sadly. Leroy sat down on his bed crying. “I miss dad… you never loved me!”, Leroy said.”Yes I…” Leroy jumped up by the surprise of the gunshot. Just then Leroys mom fell to the ground and never got to finish her sentence. Fading away lightly the dream went away.
Leroy removed his hands from Mila’s head, taking deep breaths in and out.
“You know she was going to say she loved you”,Mila said with sympathy.
She went up to him and gave him a big hug comforting him.
“I want you to have a life knowing what happened to your mom… so I think it’s time.”,Leroy said.
“How do you know about... “,Mila said in disbelief.
“When I look at you I can read your story… you’ve been through a lot”,Leroy said.
He took her hand once again and brought her outside to meet someone. Mila stopped and looked in amazement.
“It can’t be… mom?”, Mila said shedding some tears.
Just then,  Mila’s mother ran up to Mila and gave her a huge hug. Just then Mila released her anger.
“You can’t suddenly appear and everything is going to be alright… you left Harper and I after Calamity day, you didn’t even say goodbye”,Mila blurted out.
“Mila I had to leave to protect your life.”,Mila’s mom said.
“Your father is part of the REB army and he forced me to go back to this destroyed earth or he would’ve killed you”,Mila’s mom said crying.
“Honey you have an ability… and you got it from me’,she continued.
“You can read people's minds us three are the only people on this earth who can read minds.”,She continued.
After a brief moment of silence Mila digested everything she heard.
“This all makes sense… I knew I was different all along.”,She said finally understanding her identity.
Suddenly they all heard gunshots and saw a fire in the woods.
“No, REB found us we have to escape come on!”, Mila said.
“I can’t go…  they won’t stop until they find something”,Leroy said.
“I’m going to stay…  you guys have to leave”,Leroy said.
“I’m not going to leave you… please”,Mila said.
“Honey we need to go and live the life we always wanted”,Mila’s mom said while holding her hand.
Mila shed a tear and ran up to him and and gave him a kiss on the cheek.
“I’ll never forget you… you'll be in my heart always.”,Mila said.
Mila and her mom ran to the lake just in time before the fire came to them.
“Mom I can’t let go… I can’t!”,Mila said sobbing.
“Trust me honey we’ll be ok.”,Mila’s mom said.
They heard a gunshot and swam through the lake in hope to find civilization. They never made it, although that is what Leroy thought when he returned with the REB from earth. With hope they swam with all their power for endless hours, still there was no signs of life, just miles and miles of water. My mother and sister could be somewhere on the old earth but with hope from Leroy Durand, her legacy will forever live.