The Unspoken | Teen Ink

The Unspoken

October 20, 2016
By ForeverxD34D BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado
ForeverxD34D BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
' Nothing ventured, nothing gained'.


"Dad! Could you come here real fast I need to show you something!" Miles's dad marched up to his son's room furious with him. He violently opened his son's door and walked into his room, which was pretty well kept for a 14 year old to own. There was no trash on Miles's floor that could be seen, his room smelled like lavender in a field surrounded by grass, and his room had no vulgar posters like most teens had during his time.
"What do you possibly want!" He barked.
"I just wanted to know if you think my grades are better. I turned in my missing project for English, and look at the grade I got on it. I told you dad, Ms.Domann does not like me one single bit. Every time I turn in something she gives me a low score on it." As he opened the tab for his grades on his computer.
His dad gazed upon the grades Miles's had earned and was astonished by the improvement he had shown, despite the low grade he got on his project "Nice job son, you just lightened up my day with all of these A's you have earned. How did you manage to get these grades?"
"Like you said all I had to do was study, pay attention, and work hard.'' He replied to his dad, still looking upon his son's grade.
"You know what. Since you have improved your grades so fast, you are ungrounded and we will go to the mall to get whatever you want. Does this sound fair?"
Miles was surprised that his dad would even consider giving him anything for getting just A's. The shock went away and a wave of excitement filled his body. He burst out of his chair and flopped onto his queen sized bed. Then Miles got up and went over to his electronic money bank and took out $200 in four fifty dollar bills which he had been saving for a day like this, and he was ready to buy what he wanted. He wanted new Nikes, which were worn by all of the popular kids in his school.
Miles was not very well known at his high school, so he wanted to improve his image. It was not because he was ugly, only because he wasn't as athletic as the other kids in his school were and athleticism was a must at his school, so he decided to at least look the part. He had blue eyes with blonde hair and was a little big but not huge. If he was skinnier he could be mistaken for a cross country runner. He only had one friend in school who was a grade behind him and his name was Ricardo. They always got scolded because of Ricardo being such a nerd and how he was so weird around others.
His dad yelled at him from downstairs, telling him that he was waiting for him. Miles jumped from his bed and crashed into his door and almost broke it. He jumped from the top of the 20 step staircase leading downstairs and almost broke his leg from landing wrong and f. His dad was waiting in the car and had the car running while pop music was blaring .He jumped into the car and slammed the door in excitement.
  They opened up the garage door and proceeded to the mall. While Miles pondered on what type of Nikes he could buy with $200.


They had finally arrived at the mall in a nick of time since on Saturdays it's always clustered with teens and young adults, especially in the afternoon. The parking lot was filled to the brink with cars. It was hard for them to even find a place to park. They only saw one which was between a minivan and someone who didn't park right,and neither Miles or his dad liked it one bit. They had no choice but to park there anyway.
They got out of the car and had to walk a long ways to the store since they parked in the very back of the parking lot. While walking, an old lady was in the middle of a huge crowd exiting the store, pushing a cart that looked heavy for her, but she pushed it with no trouble. Miles could not help but to admire the strength she possessed, even though she was just a fragile old lady.  The automatic doors opened up with, making a screeching sound which had been there ever since the mall opened, letting them inside. Mile's dad had assigned him to carry all the bags of clothing he would buy. He had an idea of where he could find them since he has passed the shoe store more times than he could count but never bothered going inside.
They had finally made it to the shoe store after a long, unneeded walk since his dad stopped to talk to everyone he saw. When they finally stepped foot in the store, Miles looked around and observed the merchandise they sold. He noticed that all the shoes they sold were brands he never even heard of, which made him unsure if the store even had Nikes in stock. His dad was now talking to the lady he saw in the middle of a small mob surrounding the entrance of the mall. He was confused because his dad and himself saw her leave the store, but he thought to himself, maybe she forgot one of her bags. She is an old woman, so that would not be too improbable. He shrugged off his suspensions and continued his search for the Nikes he wanted.
He searched every nook and cranny for the shoes, but was unable to spot them. He found it stupid how they actually had every shoe brand-the store was a lot bigger than Miles had first assumed-yet did not have the Nikes he wanted. Before he could even think about leaving, the old lady his dad was talking to snuck up behind him giving him a fright. “Who are you?” he said, trying to calm himself down.
“I am Abbatha Sicilian,” she said in a smooth, calming voice. Making Miles ease himself back into a calm state of mind. “the only remaining member of the Sicilian family.”
“I have heard of you, you were in the news 2 years ago. You were convicted of witchcraft and arson correct?”
“Yes,” she said regretfully “yet I was proven innocent for witchcraft since they had no evidence of me conducting such a deed, and the reason I was charged was because I was floating in midair. When in actuality, I was testing a tightrope that I had bought for my grandson to make sure it was safe to use, and they saw me in my room floating which they must of took as witchcraft.”
“Sounds like to me they wasted their time.”
“Oh, yes they did. It’s unfortunate because I knew these people very well. Now they are ghosts to me, like they never existed.”
“What about the arson charge?”
“Now that’s another story for another time, but I would be more than happy to tell you tomorrow. If you wouldn’t mind coming over to talk to a frail, lonely old women.”
He thought about it for a second and came to a decision, “Yeah, I’ll be more than happy to come over. Your story sounds… intriguing, and I must hear the rest. However, I must ask my dad if he will allow me.” he started to move away from Abbatha and look around the aisle.
He was heading towards the end of the aisle when she shouted from the other side, “ I will see you tomorrow at 9:00 A.M then Miles Nick Hadron.” he turned around in bewilderment, wondering how she knew his full name when he never told her and he knew that his dad would never tell anyone his full name. He turned around and only saw a rack of shoes on the wall where Abbatha stood. She had disappeared without a trace, leaving him alone in an aisle surrounded by shoes, mistified .
Luckily, he was able to find the shoes he was looking for all the way in the back of the store. He checked out rather quickly with his dad, and when he left he could not help but feel like he was being watched.
The next day, he put on his new pair of Nikes with a polyester black top, black and white microfiber pants, and some red and black nike tube socks. For the entire morning, he was anxious to meet Abbatha even though he had a screeching headache. It felt so painful that he would usually lie in bed with his hands over his head, yet was still compelled to go see her. His dad was waiting for him downstairs, patiently watching the news. Miles came down and they both put on their jackets and headed out.
They had just pulled up at Abbatha’s house. Both of them got out and looked around to observe the house. It was a two story house with a basement and it looked like it had a fresh new coat of red paint just thrown on there. They thought it looked hideous, yet did not mind the space between each house and neither did they mind the backyard. His dad went back home after dropping him off, and Miles walked up to the house and prepared to knock on the door, but before he could even make contact with the door, it swung open. Almost hitting him directly in the forehead.
“Welcome to my humble home.” she said as she motioned him into her house, and Miles found the interior of her house extravagant, which made up for the ugly exterior. There were exotic paintings hanging from the walls found only in museums, heads of animals on the walls that were complimented by animal skins on her laminate flooring, and her bright red walls which really brightened the house up.
“Your house is amazing! How were you able to make it so… so eye popping?”
“I just used some elbow grease and did some jobs here and there,” she started walking toward the kitchen “and eventually I got enough money to purchase all of my furniture. Now then, would you like anything to eat or drink?”
“No thanks, My dad and I are suppose to be going to Olive Garden after this.”
“Oh my, where are my manners! Please, take a seat, in the living room preferably,” Miles headed toward the living room, and sat down on a leather couch facing the kitchen. Abbatha followed him into the living room and sat in a chair adjacent from him. “Now then, I know you’re here to hear about the story behind the arson charge, but first I want to know a little about yourself.”
Miles was surprised that she would want to know about him because no one usually wanted to talk to him. For him, this was a first. “Sure, I would be happy to tell you about myself.”
He talked for an entire hour purely about himself, which Abbatha took note on in her head. He talked about everything, from his age to what he hated most about school. When he was done talking, Abbatha stood up from her seat and headed towards the staircase leading upstairs. She turned to Miles and beckoned him to come upstairs. He gave her a concerned look, but went along with her anyway, wanting to know what she was hiding.
They reached the top of the stairs. He ended up facing a long hallway with no light shining through the circular windows lining the walls of the long hallway. It was pitch-black dark, and he grew frightened. “Abbatha, where am I?” he turned around, and she was no longer there. Neither were the stairs.
“Just keep moving forward. Trust me, nothing will hurt you, I promise” He could not see her yet could hear her voice in the darkness and continued moving forward as the voice had told him to. It felt like hours had passed before he had reached a door with ominous symbols carved into the metal like material of the door’s frame which he had never seen before and he was an avid follower of the mysterious and the paranormal. The door opened, and a gust of wind hit him in the face. Once the wind finally subsided, he walked into the room and looked down at his feet. When he looked down, he felt like he was falling into an endless abyss. He struggled to look back up, but he was determined to get his eyes away from the abyss. When he looked back up, he saw Abbatha manifest before him, dressed now in a cloak covering her face.
“Where am I?” he tried to sound as calm as possible, but he was shaking and he ended up sounding like a scared puppy lost in the woods.
“You’re in one of the Unspoken lair, where we use to be able to keep the world safe, but now that we have disbanded, the world has been a hellish place.”
“How? It seems to me everything is ok besides human on human killing.”
“No nothing is ok, great evil has risen once more and we must stop it. Back when we where together we stopped-or at least suppressed-this great evil from rising. Now it is back, influencing people to do even more vicious things to each other and spreading chaos across the land.”
“Where do I come in all of this?”
“The prophecy foretold of someone fitting the description of you who can beat this evil, but the question remains… will you help us?
Miles thought about for a second, considering the dangers of joining such a risky organization, but the point that she brought up about people becoming more wicked than ever, he had taken notice of. He wanted to stop it. He wanted to help solve the problem.
“Yes.”


The author's comments:

A revision of a past story